Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
If you are looking at buying in OR for the sales tax break, try getting quotes closer to home for the same tires. You may be surprised.

I just put on a set of Toyo 295/75 to replace G670RV 275/80 and am pleased with the ride and the price. Went with the M177 instead of the M154 for the higher weight rating.
The M154 "H" 16 ply will do fine for me. But, closer to home? In my case, home is where the wheels are parked. We were in California last. I doubt anything down there is less money, item for item, then here. But, thanks for the suggesting.

I noticed the M177 is good to 125psi. I run at 110 and the M154 is a 120psi tire as are my rims. In my case the M177 would be way overkill.

What did you pay per mounted tire? Did you get any casing trade-in value?

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #30

22.5 Tire size differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
The M154 "H" 16 ply will do fine for me. But, closer to home? In my case, home is where the wheels are parked. We were in California last. I doubt anything down there is less money, item for item, then here. But, thanks for the suggesting.

I noticed the M177 is good to 125psi. I run at 110 and the M154 is a 120psi tire as are my rims. In my case the M177 would be way overkill.

What did you pay per mounted tire? Did you get any casing trade-in value?

My coach had a recall to upsize the front tires, so more payload is better. Price was almost the same between M154 and M177.

About $500 per tire installed. The quotes I got in California with tax were lower than Les Schwab in OR. One shop offered me $50 per tire and another offered $100. At LS the supervisor said they couldn't offer me anything for the tires because they were too old. He didn't look me in the eye when he said it. I am sure they were installed on a semi within a week. In hindsight, I should have gone with a professional RV shop in California instead of the hacks at Les Schwab in OR.

See this thread for my experience: Torque wrench for lug nuts - necessary?

Be sure to check reviews before selecting a shop (i.e. heavy RV reviews, not just cars).

Old 03-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My coach had a recall to upsize the front tires, so more payload is better. Price was almost the same between M154 and M177.

About $500 per tire installed. The quotes I got in California with tax were lower than Les Schwab in OR. One shop offered me $50 per tire and another offered $100. At LS the supervisor said they couldn't offer me anything for the tires because they were too old. He didn't look me in the eye when he said it. I am sure they were installed on a semi within a week. In hindsight, I should have gone with a professional RV shop in California instead of the hacks at Les Schwab in OR.

See this thread for my experience: Torque wrench for lug nuts - necessary?

Be sure to check reviews before selecting a shop (i.e. heavy RV reviews, not just cars).
Please give me a bit more info. Which LS did this experience come from? I am in Grants Pass now. This is the first time I have heard any bad comments on LS. I don't shop Love's because, over the years, I always find their fuel prices very high. Would have never thought of getting tires from them.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 03-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #32

22.5 Tire size differential

Quote:
Please give me a bit more info. Which LS did this experience come from? I am in Grants Pass now. This is the first time I have heard any bad comments on LS. I don't shop Love's because, over the years, I always find their fuel prices very high. Would have never thought of getting tires from them.

I did not use Grant's Pass, so cannot comment on skills at that particular shop. Some here on this site have good things to say about LS, so it comes down to individual shops and who happens to be on duty that day. Will have to look at receipts for exactly which LS's I used. I have had good customer service experiences with Loves tire shops, but definitely check the dates on the tires, particularly if you are buying anything other than their high volume truck tires. Their quotes on Michelin and Yokohama were competitive. The LS tires I bought were less than four months old. I did have to tell LS the pressures I wanted, which were different from their standard. Make sure the mechanic knows DP's and how to deal with cosmetic wheels, and most importantly, don't let them try to jack the whole vehicle up at once with corner hand jacks.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I did not use Grant's Pass, so cannot comment on skills at that particular shop. Some here on this site have good things to say about LS, so it comes down to individual shops and who happens to be on duty that day. Will have to look at receipts for exactly which LS's I used. I have had good customer service experiences with Loves tire shops, but definitely check the dates on the tires, particularly if you are buying anything other than their high volume truck tires. Their quotes on Michelin and Yokohama were competitive. The LS tires I bought were less than four months old. I did have to tell LS the pressures I wanted, which were different from their standard. Make sure the mechanic knows DP's and how to deal with cosmetic wheels, and most importantly, don't let them try to jack the whole vehicle up at once with corner hand jacks.
Thanks for the info. I have dealt with these folks in the past and they seem to know what they are doing. I did take note of your torquing issue with LS. That does concern me also. My son has a major torque wrench so I will have him check the lugs when I get to his home in Washington. As far as tire pressure goes. I always check mine after getting new tires. The stick gauge that most shops use is just too inaccurate and subject to the users concern for accuracy. Besides, we should do this check before we hit the road. Each coach has its own cold psi ratings. As many of us have done, weighing give us a better idea of what we should be running at.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 03-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have dealt with these folks in the past and they seem to know what they are doing. I did take note of your torquing issue with LS. That does concern me also. My son has a major torque wrench so I will have him check the lugs when I get to his home in Washington. As far as tire pressure goes. I always check mine after getting new tires. The stick gauge that most shops use is just too inaccurate and subject to the users concern for accuracy. Besides, we should do this check before we hit the road. Each coach has its own cold psi ratings. As many of us have done, weighing give us a better idea of what we should be running at.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
On PSI, I have them set the tires 5PSI above where I want them. Then in the AM before sun, or driving, adjust to where I want them based upon ambient temperatures. Easier to let out, vs putting in!

The re-torque is really important, and that better be a real big bar! I make a point of driving between 150-200 miles and making sure they're re-torqued. Most shops will help you. Better if it is the same business that you bought the tires from, but most shops will help you for free or a small fee.

Best,
Smitty
Old 03-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
On PSI, I have them set the tires 5PSI above where I want them. Then in the AM before sun, or driving, adjust to where I want them based upon ambient temperatures. Easier to let out, vs putting in!

The re-torque is really important, and that better be a real big bar! I make a point of driving between 150-200 miles and making sure they're re-torqued. Most shops will help you. Better if it is the same business that you bought the tires from, but most shops will help you for free or a small fee.

Best,
Smitty
Both good points, Smitty. A 3/4" drive torque wrench is not something most of us carry in the tool box.