Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Joe View Post
No one has mentioned the increase in unsprung weight with the change to 22.5 from 19.5. Is it not as important as in the much lighter weight passenger car suspensions? Would the weight difference be negated if you went with alloy wheels/22.5s? Hmmmm
I have 19.5 steel wheels. I am sure a 22.5 alloy wheel would be a little lighter. If you could find a low profile 22.5 tire with the same diameter as the 19.5 tall tire it would be a easy change. But that could depend on wheel offset and tire width on the 22.5 low pro tires and they could rub your front springs or tie rods. In the trucking world you can run a 24.5 wheel with a low pro tire right beside a 22.5 wheel with the standard tall tire. On a duel wheel set up as they are the same diameter on the tires. Not sure how this works with the 19.5 to 22.5 wheels and tires. If you change drive tire diameter you are changing the final drive ratio and this may not be good in most cases.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #16

What does the .5 mean? Is it size? Just wondering.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post

you should read more about who recommends that "change" interval and stop preaching it like its gospel. That is nothing more than fear mongering... michelin has put in r of print that their tires can go 10 years. And that info is available on the internet... just like the made up 5yr life span of rv tires.

As for cost... its like $50/tire... x 6 so barely the cost of 1 low end 19.5 tire for the 22.5. There is a dramatic difference in a 19.5 chassis versus a 22.5. Those are facts... not speculation.
Tire life on motorhomes is one of the great unknowns of the universe. Tires live their service life in a very hostile environment and many variables can affect how long your tires will safely last. Unless there is some serious event impacting the tires the life will fall somewhere between 5-10 years. The goal, of course, is to extract max service life without having an on the road failure that can truly ruin your day and cause, at minimum, a great deal of damage to your coach.

I have made a personal decision that if my tires look good physically then some time in their 7th year of service, I will replace the steer tires. The next year the drive tires and the next year the tag tires. This spreads the pain and replaces the most highly stressed and important to coach control first.

Here is the Michelin RV brochure:

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/asset...esBrochure.pdf

Read page 1 and decide for yourself if this is a cart blanch from Michelin to go for 10.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #18

When my MH tires reach the 50% tread depth I would be getting them swapped out. The more tread you have the less chance of flats from nails and other road debree. I do this on the semi trucks and we hardly ever have flats or tire failures. Tires are way cheaper then fiberglass and paint. And good tires are way safer. I would do the whole rig at once as this is just simpler and easier and safer. It doesn't pay to run old or worn tires. I'm not in a contest to go 20k or 30 k or whatever. When they hit the 50% mark they are coming off. And if they hit the five year mark they are history also, no mater the tread depth.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #19

2013 model year F53 chassis from 16,000 to 18,000 lbs are delivered with a 4.30 rear axle ratio from Ford,22,000 to 26,000 lb. are delivered with 5.30 according to Ford's F53 chassis Brocure showing spec's for this year.
...that is not to say that Ford won't change a spec for a coachmaker under certain situations,...just reporting what I read in the brochure...very comprehensive info within it!
tomrx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #20

SeattlePirat - exactly. The .5 is the wheel and tire size. 19.5" wheels/tires use to be on all gas motorhomes. Then as the chassis changed and got bigger WorkHorse and Ford started using 22.5" wheels and tires on their larger chassis.

Same with cars - use to be 14" and 15" tires on all passenger cars back in the 80's Now they are 16", 17" and even 18" tires and wheels.

The .5 tires kinda indicate real heavy duty. When I hear 17" tires I think car. When I hear 17.5" tires I think heavy duty trailer tires. You can buy a stock 1/2 ton truck with 20" tires. No way will those tires carry as much weight as 19.5" tires.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrx1 View Post
2013 model year F53 chassis from 16,000 to 18,000 lbs are delivered with a 4.30 rear axle ratio from Ford,22,000 to 26,000 lb. are delivered with 5.30 according to Ford's F53 chassis Brocure showing spec's for this year.
...that is not to say that Ford won't change a spec for a coachmaker under certain situations,...just reporting what I read in the brochure...very comprehensive info within it!
2013 Ford Stripped Chassis Work Trucks | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com your correct that the smaller payload chassis have 4:30s but the higher payload chassis have the 5:30s and 6:17s. The smaller payload frames have the dana 80s which are the same differential as the duel rear wheeled F350's and I believe 450's.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #22

...very good Jamesrx....I was quoting from memory,I should have re-read the brochure....thank you!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #23

...I'm sure upsizing to 22.5's on the lighter frames would at the very least allow for significant speedometer error as well as a loss of usable power (torque) at any given RPM range. That being said,I have to agreethe 22.5's do look better,and I wish my coach was equipped with them.
The larger chassis ratings have other changes besides axle ratio,larger more robust brake systems etc.....I TOLD my wife we should have gotten the Sightseer!!!!.....LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrx1 View Post
...I'm sure upsizing to 22.5's on the lighter frames would at the very least allow for significant speedometer error as well as a loss of usable power (torque) at any given RPM range. That being said,I have to agreethe 22.5's do look better,and I wish my coach was equipped with them.
The larger chassis ratings have other changes besides axle ratio,larger more robust brake systems etc.....I TOLD my wife we should have gotten the Sightseer!!!!.....LOL

If the 22.5 tires were an option for the year of the chassis, the PCM and ABS may likely have the 22.5 calibration in it. It would only require a quick programming for the new tires. However, if it is not there, an aftermarket programmer should be able to accomplish that task. There would be some reduced power with the 22.5 over the 19.5 with the same axle ratio. The one I just worked on was a 22K chassis with 5.30 gears and 22.5 with the 3v V10. I was somewhat disappointed in the available power. It felt similar in power as my 2v V10 20,500 LBS chassis with 5.30 and 19.5s. I do also agree the 22.5's do look really nice. I was thinking of them but I believe the lug studs are larger with the 22.5s also. I would have to double check but that would be an expensive upgrade unless you went with customs rims.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have no idea which is better. My 30H Storm has 19.5, and I just replaced 3, that had dry rotted. Hope I did the right thing?
Herb matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use to have an 03 Southwind 32V and it had 19.5 and I know they went to bigger tires later on. My question is, on a W-20 Chasis, would the ride be different with the 22.5 tires say on an 07 when I believe they were standard, then on the 03 I had with 19.5? any difference in mpg?
Brian

Tags
tires