Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

235/85/16 Tires - What are you running?

When I bought our 28' Coachman Santara 4 years ago it had 2 year old Les Schwab (Dean Tire & Rubber Co) Wildcat tires, I have always kept the sun side of the MH tires covered when parked and with about 8k on them and loosing one last weekend I want to replace all with new. If I planned on keeping it another 4-6 years I would probably put the Michelin XPS ribs on it (still might anyway). Looking on Schwab's site and Vulcan Tire's site that used to sale the Wildcat it looks as they are not available anymore so looking for a cheaper but better name tire. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Keith
768Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They're not cheap but I run Toyo Light Truck tires on my MH. They give me a great ride and wear well. My Fleetwood takes 8 of the buggers.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ran Firestone Transforce HT tires on my old smaller Class A. Liked them a lot, ran well, reasonable price. They also have an AT tread. Current MH uses 22.5 tires....much different price league...and the Transforce isn't available in this size.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

I have that size on our 96 36 ft Bounder . I have Firestone Transforce HTs on it , I hey seem to ride well .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am running Toyo tires since last November. Am am not overly thrilled with them. They definitely do handle different than the Michelin. These new tires require more constant steering correction than the Michelin. This is do to the fabric engineering of the tire more than the tread, and the point/angle of contact of the fabric with road. Michelin also have the highest lateral rigidity which helps keep it on course.

As for tread, toyo sings to much and the Michelin had zero road noise with their special noise canceling non-symmetrical tread. Also must mention that the toyo tire smell like my black tank and it is annoying when the windows are open or when I walk outside where it is parked in the drive. The toyo does have a softer ride on tar joints.

What would I do next time - spend a few more buck and get the better tire.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #6

I have Transforce HT on mine...rides nice, cost 175 apiece installed for 7. They came highly recommended by the shop and co workers. I have these tires on my work truck as well.

Tags
tires