Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

275/70R 22.5 Summit SHR1 or Sumitomo ST727 REAL REVIEWS

Another tire thread.

Ok, so I have called 20 or so tire companies and got many prices on many tires. Of course the big names, Goodyear, Michelins, BFG and so on are the most recommended on here and by far the most expensive. Even on the FMCA program the Michelins are over 500 a tire. I am not looking for any comments or opinions on how great these tires are because they are out of my price range.

This thread is to ask real world, real use of both the brands in the title. So far, the best quote I have for 6 tires are:

Summit SHR1 16 Ply Load H $2310 OTD with computer balance
Sumitomo ST727 16 Ply Load H $2862 OTD with computer balance

These are more in my budget. From what I understand, Summit tires are made in China. Sumitomo is made in Japan.

I am hoping for people that are using or have used either one of these tires to give their personal real life feedback.

Thank you
Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

I've run Sumitomo 727 tires in the 275/70R22.5 size load range H since August 2009. No problems and they are good tires. Still look like new. My guess (without hiking out to the motorhome to look at the log) is that they have about 30,000 miles on them. They'll age out before I can wear them out.

I'd buy them again, but I'd also compare to Firestone, Bridgestone, Toyo, and Hankook for the best price, etc.

Fred

Old 03-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
I've run Sumitomo 727 tires in the 275/70R22.5 size load range H since August 2009. No problems and they are good tires. Still look like new. My guess (without hiking out to the motorhome to look at the log) is that they have about 30,000 miles on them. They'll age out before I can wear them out.

I'd buy them again, but I'd also compare to Firestone, Bridgestone, Toyo, and Hankook for the best price, etc.

Fred
Thanks for the info Fred.

So I have called about 20 different tire places. I cant find a tire store that carrys Hankook tires. Everyone is telling me they have no access to the Toyo's in our size 275/70R 22.5. I think they dont make them anymore. Generally Bridgestone/Firestone are more expensive.

So far besides other China tires I am not too interested in, I cant find much anything but these Sumitomo tires in the under 3000k price range.

Fred, to verify, is the Sumitomo tire really made in Japan? Would say on the sidewall. The tire guy told me they were and that they are the largest Japan tire company. But this was the same guy that told me the Summit tires were made by Cooper. But I called Cooper and they said no. Called tire guy back and had him look at the Summit tire sidewall, and he then confirmed it said China on the side wall.

I am leaning towards the Sumitomo. Although hoping to find them around the 2500 price rance, not the 2800 I got quoted.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We had Sumitomos installed 4 years ago and they still look like new,never loose air and the ride is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocDog View Post
Thanks for the info Fred.

So I have called about 20 different tire places. I cant find a tire store that carrys Hankook tires. Everyone is telling me they have no access to the Toyo's in our size 275/70R 22.5. I think they dont make them anymore. Generally Bridgestone/Firestone are more expensive.

So far besides other China tires I am not too interested in, I cant find much anything but these Sumitomo tires in the under 3000k price range.

Fred, to verify, is the Sumitomo tire really made in Japan? Would say on the sidewall. The tire guy told me they were and that they are the largest Japan tire company. But this was the same guy that told me the Summit tires were made by Cooper. But I called Cooper and they said no. Called tire guy back and had him look at the Summit tire sidewall, and he then confirmed it said China on the side wall.

I am leaning towards the Sumitomo. Although hoping to find them around the 2500 price rance, not the 2800 I got quoted.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:20 AM   #5

I put the Sumitomo on my Winnebago Journey a few years ago and they are great, A few trips to Florida and a cross country trip to California through all kinds of weather and road condition and not one issue. They run quiet and still look great. My only suggestion is no matter what tire you get check the production date.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #6

Yes, they were made in Japan.

The $2800 is probably a fair deal. I paid $2309 with mount, balance, tax, etc in August of 2009, and the cost of tires has increased since then.

I would certainly buy them again.

Fred
Old 03-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #7

I had the same Sumitomo sized tires installed in the front of my Fleetwood. They replaced a set of Goodyears with the worst wear patters I have ever seen. So far I have nothing bad to say about them. They ride very well. Its a very good tire, with great reviews.

I will be replacing the rears soon with the same tire. I paid 950.00 installed for the set.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #8

I put the st727 Sumitomos (19.5 ") on my previous motorhome. I was very pleased with the ride. I can't say anything about the wear as I traded the coach after putting only about1000 miles on the tires. But the Sumitomos rode much softer than the oem Goodyears.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Everyone is telling me they have no access to the Toyo's in our size 275/70R 22.5. I think they dont make them anymore."

They used 265-75R-22.5 Toyo's to replace my 275/70R 22.5.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

put six on, have about 2000 miles very happy replaced good years better ride and handles better.2680.00 otd
Old 03-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #11

I know you have concerns about Chinese tires, but I have seen a lot of good things about Samson's on this board and I know they make that size... I intend on giving them a good look when I need to replace my steers.

Steve
Old 03-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #12

Both Samson and Hercules are decent China tires. I had great service out of a China set of tires in my class A,over 6 solid years.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Have you looked at the Firestone FS561. I recently purchased 6 Firestones ( FS591s load range H) for my coach $2551.38 mounted and balanced. Made in the USA
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Have had very good luck with Sumitomo ST-718's on my rig. 225/70R19.5"
Now 8 years old with no problems, still look new!
Going to replace with the same tire and try to sell the old ones on CrList. (Lots of Wreckers, Dump trucks ect. use my size tire.)

The Portable Summer Cottage II * 2000 GBM/99 F53. Steer-Safe, Ultra-Trac, Bilsteins, Sumitomo's, CHF, & Eternabond. Mod it & keep her rolling! Pics & Mods:http://s69.photobucket.com/user/scot...20Cottage%20II
NAUTIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote