Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

275 HP Cummins ISC Turbocharged Diesel

Hello: I just purchased a 1999 Gulfstream Sun Voyager Bus 8362 w/275 HP ISC Cummins Turbocharged diesel. I am flying down to Texas this weekend to pick it up and drive it back to Ohio. When I get there I'd like to replace the primary and secondary fuel filters and the airline filter dryer before starting the long trip home. Would anybody happen to know what those part nos are and where they might be available? I'd be most grateful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #2

The filters would have been spec'd by Cummins and installed by the coach chassis builder, The air drier system is also chassis dependent. So for real solid info on these I think you need the chassis type; Spartan, Freightliner , Roadmaster; and a serial #. Then a call to the chassis makers help line is in order.
MHO, you may be better off to wait till you see the unit, find out if there are numbers on the existing parts, then look for the closest NAPA/AutoZone,oil, fuel and air filters should be readily available; drier air filter may be a special order item. Do you have any info on the age of the tires, that's a major consideration before a long trip.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Do you have any info on the age of the tires, that's a major consideration before a long trip.
+2 on the tire dates.
I had a blowout on a inner dual on the first outing after we bought it last year. (and that was on a 100 mile trip) It took out the air bags the leveler some wiring and the inner fender. It sat in the repair shop for almost 2 mos getting this fixed.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #4

That helps considerably. The tires are a big question mark, but I have come up with a few dealers in the area in the event of an emergency. Thanks much for your help.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
1999 275HP cummins is an ISB I believe. ISC would be a 330HP? It is possible it is built on a 98 chassis and is a C series 275HP.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

Hello: Its been advertised as the ISC with the 275 HP Cummins, Spartan chassis. I didn't realize that there were so many variables when I 1st posted the question. I'm a new member...this forum is wonderful. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If it has individual valve covers it is a C (or B) series mechanical engine. It it has a serpentine belt it is a ISB or ISC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If it is an ISB it has substantially less torque than an ISC. The ISB had some issues with the #53 block during some period around that time. I would bet it is a 275 ISB.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 99 Fleetwood built in Aug. 98 on a Freightliner XC chassis is a 275 HP ISB.

Mine has the 53 block with 81,000 miles and no problem yet.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
If it has individual valve covers it is a C (or B) series mechanical engine. It it has a serpentine belt it is a ISB or ISC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If it is an ISB it has substantially less torque than an ISC. The ISB had some issues with the #53 block during some period around that time. I would bet it is a 275 ISB.
Correct, an ISB (5.9) of this vintage would be about 600ft.lbs, torque where an ISC (8.3) would be 1000+.
Chassis make and serial # , and a phone call should clear this up.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #10

You should be able to contact the seller and get the info you need. The air dryer should be ok until you get home. Also as O/P said tires over 7-8 years old would be my biggest worry, at the very least they should be inspected by a good truck tire dealer before you start home, once you are down beside the road sunday afternoon it can get costly quick. A set of 6 tires tag tax and tip is going to be about 3k +or-. Good luck with your new coach.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Correct, an ISB (5.9) of this vintage would be about 600ft.lbs, torque where an ISC (8.3) would be 1000+.
Chassis make and serial # , and a phone call should clear this up.
It's 950 ft lbs at the most, that's what the 330 ISC was/is. I just looked at the Cummins power specs. I don't have them for the 275hp though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #12

I have owned my 38' Cross Country with the 300hp cummins (ISB I believe) for a couple of months now and I pull an enclosed trailer with drag race cars. We just made a trip to Rockingham NC from southern MD, I am not breaking any speed records but it does just fine. Its my first DP so I still just love driving the thing, I didn't realize it was the smaller engine until after I bought it. I am sure I pull much more than is recommended with this engine but I am happy for now.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Personally I would be giving much more consideration to an OIL & oil filter change than fuel/air filters. Find a Speedco (Google for locations) and for 250-300. should change all filters you've mentioned + oil (except air) and have them drain water from the air tanks. If no water in tanks, the air filter/water seperator is working.
Not knowing the location of these filters on your new machine, how had you planned to get under the vehicle to change filters with only (we assume) the leveling jacks to help? No jack stands? We've lost folks from this site doing approx. the same
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Part of the answer to the question about filters, etc. is "how frequently has it been used recently?"

When we bought ours, it had sat for over a year. Older tires that have been sitting are more dangerous, I believe, than ones who have been used recently. The problem is moisture build up on the steel belts. I changed all 6 tires within two weeks of our purchase. I definitely would look for sidewall checking at a bare minimum.

It is possible that if it is an ISB (similar to ours) in that vintage, there is only one fuel filter. Changing it is pretty sloppy. Again, if the MH has been sitting any length of time, I'd consider that change and have a spare as well. Who knows what you might stir up in that tank. In Texas, Cummins Southern Plains has a number of stores and most of them stock that single fuel filter. I'd second the suggestion to change the engine oil and filter, too, if it has been sitting.

I agree that changing the air filter on the air brakes can probably wait. On a Spartan chassis, I don't know which brand of air dryer they use but Freightliner used Haldex. They don't sell just the filter for that, it is a kit with the coelessing filter, the exhaust valve and the intake port. It is not a hard job but the inside should be inspected for moisture when you change the coelessing filter.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, diesel