Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #1

275hp diesel?

Monday I am going to look at a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 34V Diesel. I have learned a lot reading in the Forums. My one concern is the 275hp diesel engine. Should I be looking for an RV with more power? I also would like any information you would have on this RV.

Frank

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The 275 isn't problem in that small a rig but I would still be looking for a 6 speed trans over the usual 4 speed.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #3

275 HP should be adequate , if the combined weight of the Coach and trailer or toad , GCWR , is in the 28,000lb range.
But I guess a lot depends on your idea of good performance , it won't be a rocket , but owners of similar powered coaches report some of the best fuel economy. You have to feed the extra horses. Newer coaches , with the same, Cummins ISB engine were offered with more power, 300>340 and increased torque. But 1 hp, per 100lbs. of GCWR is a good starting point.
I don't think that there was a bigger engine offered in that coach in 99.
I'm running 300 HP and rolling at 31,000lbs and I'm happy with the performance .
I would also say the 6 speed automatic is a must have.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #4

I have a Cat 275hp in a 37 foot coach and am very satisfied with power and fuel economy. 10-10.5 mpg at 62 mph. Climbs grades without toad around 45-50 mph.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #5

275 Cat here too, w/6 speed (which I'm assuming the '99 will have as well). Ours is run at 65mph, always with toad, and we get something close to 9mpg on the level without too much wind. Average would be something closer 8.5mpg. We're 24K loaded, and pull a 3600lb toad for a total of 27.6Klbs.

We've been in the "hills" and the "mountains" and have never been embarrassed by the available power. We run in the middle of the pack with other diesels, with us passing half of them, and half of them passing us.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

Have 99 discovery 36' with a 275 isb and very satisfy with the performance and good mileage at 55 mph towing a toad.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #7

275 Cummings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM View Post
Monday I am going to look at a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 34V Diesel. I have learned a lot reading in the Forums. My one concern is the 275hp diesel engine. Should I be looking for an RV with more power? I also would like any information you would have on this RV.

Frank

I have a 99 Winnebago Chieftain (in fact it is for sale over in the classifieds) with 6 speed Allison. Drove it to AZ from Central IL last winter. Got as good as 11.5 and as low as 8.5.......so I thought my average was about 9.5. Pulled really good, as long as you leave the cruse on. If you try to do it with your foot it will pull down in some hills.

Towed a 2010 Ford Edge 4000 lbs. The book says you can go up to 5000lbs.

Really worked good. The Ford manual says don't tow over 65 so we would set the cruse on 64. But I think the rig would run well over 70 all day if you wanted to.

That diesel worked great.

There is some kind of kit you can add to the diesel that will increase the HP by 60. My friend, that has a 95 Winnebago with a 275, added it to his and really likes the power. I think there is also kits to increase 80 and 100 Hp. But they may not be recommended on a MH.

Dave in IL
Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM View Post

Frank

Take it for a long drive before buying and have a qualified tech look it over.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a REXHALL w/ a 280 HP Cummins. In the South Eastern USA we don't encounter the mountains often. but, when I did it wasn't enough pulling a Jeep wrangler. Plenty of power almost. Suspect the combination coupled to a 4 sp Allison trans wasn't enough for the job up hill. safe travels ed

Tags
diesel