Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
3 way water pump switch wiring

I have 3 locations to turn on the fresh water pump. They operate like the conventional 3 way switch. However the switches seem to be 'momentary contact' switches. I don't have a wiring diagram. Does anyone know how this works or have a wiring diagram for this coach: 1997 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40wds, MM Spartan chasis, Cummins 8.3

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrburch1946 View Post
I have 3 locations to turn on the fresh water pump. They operate like the conventional 3 way switch. However the switches seem to be 'momentary contact' switches. I don't have a wiring diagram. Does anyone know how this works or have a wiring diagram for this coach: 1997 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40wds, MM Spartan chasis, Cummins 8.3
My guess would be this switch is working a relay.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Do you have a water pump controller?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Easy...

I've worked on a few of them.

The momentary contact switch causes the 'Monoplex' relay to change state. If it's off to on, on to off.

There is a relay involved in the monoplex controller and they do go bad, as do the switches. Usually the monoplex controller is close to the pump but it could be just about anywhere.

It is more like relay controlled industrial lighting than a three way switch, but easier to understand and uses only one loop of wire.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Here is a link to the controller. A simple schematic is included.

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?...=WordPdf&wdo=1

And here is there install manual.

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?...=WordPdf&wdo=1

Not much to it. The hard part is finding it. If you have a Pump Switch in the water bay that's the best place to start follow the wires back to the controller. If that doesn't work than the low side of the pump will also go to the controller.

Because you have three switches you most certainly have one of these controllers, and your switches should be SPST Momentary type.

Dick
Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #6

thank you

Thanks to everyone for your input. The search is now underway to locate the monoplex controller.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Try looking here for starters.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Latching Relay.pdf (88.5 KB, 178 views)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #8

UPDATE

Well, now for the rest of the story. I didn't have to find the location of the relay after all. It was fine. I installed a new See Level monitor and the pump switch is an 'on/off' switch. So it didn't work. It needs to be replaced with a momentary switch to work with the monoplex relay. I called the manufacturer to see if I could send it back to them to replace it or if I could replace it without forfeiting my warranty. I was told to go ahead and replace it myself. I was able to locate one on the internet and am waiting for it to arrive. It should be a simple replacement, but I may not be able to power the led indicator light. Will post again after replacing the switch.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #9

I will be waiting for your solution also. Thanks, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

JRBurch, you will have a water pump latching controller. I had the same motorhome and I believe you might find it by the door to the bedroom, down at floor level there is a cabinet door and behind the door is a fuse box and some other modules. I believe the latching controller is there if I remember correctly. You might also look for it screwed to the ceiling of one of the basement compartments. It will be marked Intellitec latching controller. Let me know if it is there.
Steve
Old 02-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #11

switch replaced

Switch finally arrived. Had to clip 2 wires from circuit board to remove the original switch. There were 2 wires coming from the monoplex - 1 for an indicator light and 1 to cycle the pump. I soldered the indicator wire to the See Level board where one of the 2 clipped wires had been connected(determined which one to use by touching the monoplex wire to the board). Attached the pump cycle wire to the new switch then brought in a ground source and attached it to the new switch. The new switch, while located in the new See lLevel, operates independently. Hope this is helpful to anyone out there who wants to switch to the new See Level monitoring system.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just to point out that not all sea level monitoring units have a pump controller. I actually just went for the sea level monitor and left my old monitoring board in with the controls on it. I saw a guy that installed See Level monitors at rally's he cut out the lights where the old monitor was and installed the sea level monitor in that space and then left all the old controls in place. I just cut a new opening for the sea level I had a lot of room.

I hope you enjoy your see level system I have had mine a year and a half now and I love it. I bought an extra monitoring panel and installed it in the wet bay area so I can watch the fresh water tank fill up without having to run inside and I can get an idea of how much is left in the gray and black tanks

Tags
water, water pump, wiring