Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
It's still a huge leap from your conservative decision making to assumptions about what's best for other people. I have no issue with your advice, just your "assumptions".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #16

Spacemission,

We're on exactly the same time-line as you and, I see you live in Tucson where we still have a house. I've done three factory tours so far: Newmar, AC, & Tiffin. I hope to do Entegra next fall. I really enjoy these tours since you see what's under the skin and how they're built. I was definitely impressed with the AC factory tour, then Newmar, then Tiffin. But in reading Cruzer's review, which are very comprehensive, he certainly believes Entegra is at the top of the list ... as long as you don't include Newell or Prevost which are double the price anyway.

Ideally, we would purchase a DP 1-2 years old, but it really depends on the availability come late 2015 of used DPs. We have had two RVs over the last 25 years and camped extensively throughout our lives. Bottom line, if you enjoy camping, you'll love RVing ... especially as your joints get stiffer!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #17

Jake62,
I am soooooooo jealous. Won't get to a factory until next year. Watched Newmar factory video on their site and printed out Cruzer's excellent write up on Entegra. Asked my local dealer if they could find some AC factory videos. Please let me know what you think after seeing Entegra. And any other thoughts as you guys proceed in your decisions.
Spacemission
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
When will the 2014 models come out? I plan on looking real hard at the end of this year.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I would seriously look at the Itasca Ellipse. Also if you have the time, consider going someplace like Lazy Daze and spend a lot of time going through different models and floor plans imagining yourself living in it. If you are full timing the internal storage space will likely be a big issue. We actually measured it out in several units. What features are important for you in your quality of life in the things you envision yourself doing?
Once you've narrowed to two or three spend even more time in each model.
Good luck, there are a lot of good choices out there. I bet you'll find the one that is right for you.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #20

Just food for thought. We bought new the first time then wanted something different. We traded for what we wanted and took a major bath on the new one. Two things to consider a low mileage used coach will cost much less and normally all the minor bugs have been worked out. IMHO of course.
Good luck and enjoy the search.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #21

Hey Nbargolf, would you be willing to share what caused you to change so soon? We may go with used when it comes down to it. But interested in what issues drove your upgrade/change decisions. My dad, former full timer, and other posts I've seen mention going too small the first time and wanting bigger in a quick upgrade. But wondering what other specific things to watch out for. We do know what we plan on doing and wanting to take with us, ergo the class A DP idea to begin with. But also figure I've got some biases I might not realize. So open to anyone's input on what drove early MH change out decisions.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #22

Be glad to share why we traded. First of all you would start out where we ended up but anyway, we started in a 24 ft Navion bought it new and traveled 2 years in it part time. Great unit but IMHO, way too small for any long term RVing. We then moved to a 34 ft gasser and took a bath on the trade. This was a nice unit and we thought would be our last one but two things changed our minds. First we met some now great friends who had a 36 mobile suite, this unit had double sides in the living area and it made it seem more like a home than a travel trailer. We had seen these units but never spent much time in one. Second was the gas unit. I don't want to start a gas/diesel war here this is IMHO only. On the road this unit was noisy and handling it was a white knuckle affair for us. After a test ride in a 40 ft DP we were sold. You will not regret you choice of a DP, we are here to tell you there is no comparison in the handling .We love our new unit, only 16,500 miles on it and with all the amenities that come with the larger DP. Sorry we got long winded but enjoy the hunt but we would still go for a used unit you will get much more for the $$$.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
If doing what you did worked for you, great. But in my opinion it is better to take "baby steps" when making this kind of life changing steps.
X2
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #24

PS your Second question: 3 have a full wall side. We would only do the full wall slide if it had a opposite wall slide in the living area. This is makes a world of difference in the livability IMHO of course.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #25

Could I ask the mileage when you bought your MH and mileage now? We are still looking, not purchased yet. Is a MH with very low mileage but several years old (and there are plenty out there) almost like a new model with perhaps some of the bugs worked out?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #26

We took the Entegra tour last summer, and like Cruzer we were very impressed. Of course we already have the coach that Entegra is now building. If we were to buy a new coach, Entegra would be at the top of the list. However , we would also consider Newmar, American Coach, and Tiffin as well. We had Winnebago in the past, and feel they are a good coach, but did not want a rear radiator. As said above buying a 2-3 year old used coach is a good option also. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroadmum View Post
Could I ask the mileage when you bought your MH and mileage now? We are still looking, not purchased yet. Is a MH with very low mileage but several years old (and there are plenty out there) almost like a new model with perhaps some of the bugs worked out?
We are on the second low mileage used MH and have had no problems with either. We bought new the first time, never again took a bath when we moved up.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #28

The question of new vs. used also applies to what you may get in the long-run. For example, let's say you only have $300,000 to spend. So, you may get a steal of a deal on a new Entegra Anthem. However, you may also get a steal of a deal on a 2-year Entegra Cornerstone. For my money, the 2-year old Cornerstone would be a better deal since someone's already paid the two-year depreciation, got the bugs worked out and you get the K-3 chasis & the 600 HP engine. The downside, you can't guarantee the original owner took care of it for the previous two years and, of course, you may not be able to find someone who wants to sell their two-year Cornerstone!