Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
If you Google 'how to test a weak breaker' most all the links say to test VOLTAGE at the breaker connections. Problem is, this only tests that it's allowing electricity to go through, it doesn't test amperage. You'll need a clamp on meter to test amperage. If your A/C and microwave is within their normal range, I'd just replace the breaker.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by tluehrs View Post
Thank You, it just may be a weak breaker. How can you test the breaker?
If possible. Swap wires to another breaker or swap on another breaker, either new or from elsewhere.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
Originally Posted by tluehrs View Post
Our Holiday Rambler Vacationer is 30 amp and the generator is an Onan 5500 and when we are on the genrator and turn on the microwave, the AC and Microwave kick off. RV generator will not run the air cond. and microwave at same time. Any ideas?
I assume all works fine on shore power. That should suggest the breaker that is tripping is the one on the generator and not the main panel breaker. A 5500 watt generator is capable of supplying more than 40A of service, so the generator shouldn't be overloaded.

Here's where I'd look, based on my assumptions above.
-- If you have a voltmeter, use it to measure the generator voltage when the fault occurs. Ideally, you have one that will hold highest and lowest readings. If the voltage drops to the 105V range, it could be the generator's voltage regulator.
-- As stated by others, check the circuit breaker. Again, I assume it's the one on the generator that is tripping.
-- If the generator's breaker is a 30A breaker, and it should be 40A, it could just be product aging. Your AC compressor and fan tend to draw more current over time, especially at start up. A 1500 watt microwave, an AC unit, the battery charger, and a couple of lights puts you close to 30A. If you have an electric hot water heater, you are really pushing 30A service. I'm guessing hot waterf is propane.
99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #18
Have had that problem when on gen power. I have inverter with a 100 amp battery charger . If batteries are low it pulls lot of amps add that to AC micro and is the water heater on elec. like it's been said you need to check amps drawn.
devans47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some ONAN 5500s have a 20 and 30 amp breaker, Some have 30/30 (mine has 30/30)

Some installs, the idiot at the factory put the main loads, which includes the microwave, on the 20 amp breaker.. And ut just the rear A/C on the 30 ... It should be the other way around.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote