Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You are both right and wrong.. The reason for using 250 volt "DIVIDED" is very simply that it cuts down on the voltage drop.. I can give you more info on that if you need but think of it this way.

With a perfectly balanced system, (that is both legs carrying the exact same current) the neutral wire carries NOTHING, period, NOTHING, in practice it will never be exactly balanced but....

When you figure the voltage drop the current in one leg basically does not count.

So if you have 20 amps in one leg, and 25 in the other, Your voltage drop is LESS than if you had 45 amps on a 120 volt line. (It's less than even the 25 amps but this gets very complex)

NOTHING in the RV should REQUIRE 240 volts, Everything is 120 volt, Water heater, Fridge (electric) Air Conditioners, Converter, Microwave, Electronics (Radio, TV, Et-al) all 120 volt, NOTHING takes 240 volt

So when you are forced to adapt to 30 amps.. THey simply feed the single leg to both sides.

Your wires are designed to pass 50 amps that includes both L-1 L-2, Neutral and I hope safety ground.

Thus when you plug into 30 amps. Your wires are good.

In fact the odds are the neutral can pass a bit OVER 50 amps.. (useful if you use a cheater box and are on a site where you can use a cheater box, rare though those are)

If it helps.. Think of the system as two independent 120 volt systems with a common neutral.. Because.. That is exactly what it is.
Very good explanation. Another thing to consider is that if the campground has a properly wired 50 amp pedestal (a 4 wire slit phase system) that is capable of delivering two legs of 120 V at 50 amps per legs you will have 6,000 watts of power per leg for a total of 12,000 watts available for you coach to utilize.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm pretty sure by the way you're all talking about 50 amp power that yuo all use it on a regular basis, I'm always surprised at the number of people I see when camping that have 50 amp units, and a 50 amp pedestal to hook up to but still go with a 30 amp adaptor and cord because they don't want to bother with the big 50 amp cord.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #17

I will use the 50 amp service any chance I can. Yeah the cable is pretty good size but I will gladly use it. I think that some campgrounds charge extra for 50 amp service. Maybe some folks don't want to pay a little extra so they opt for the 30 amp service.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I'm pretty sure by the way you're all talking about 50 amp power that yuo all use it on a regular basis, I'm always surprised at the number of people I see when camping that have 50 amp units, and a 50 amp pedestal to hook up to but still go with a 30 amp adaptor and cord because they don't want to bother with the big 50 amp cord.
Well. I said in my post that I did not use the common dogbone becasue of the hassle with wrestling the 50 amp cord.

I bought one of those short (1 foot) adapter cords with a 50 amp MARINE CO "Socket" (the thing on the motor home is called an INLET) and a 30 amp plug on the other, I have a 30 amp bright colored extension cord that as I said, is limp as a dishrag even in freezing temps.

That is what I use on 30 amp sites... At over six feet tall and over 300 pounds and able to swing a 22.5" wheel (TIRE AND RIM) into the back of a Toyota Tacoma pick up all by myself... I have no problem with the 50 amp cord on a 50 amp site.. But still, Why strain?

Over time (the cord and adapter are six years old) the 30 amp plug and socket have gotten very bad.. This fall I cut and spliced.. Replaced the plug on teh cord with a 30 amp Camco Power Pull or one like it, and spliced the "outlet" end of the extension cable direct to the 30 amp to Marineco 50 so it's now one cord. But that's just repair work

I'm very happy with how well it is working.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #19

Thanks everyone for your responses. Just like I concluded. My 30 to 50 amp adapter was wire wrong for our application. I contacted the distrubutor and they said it's the manufacture's problem. Went to the manufacture and they said to contact the distrubutor. So I just ordered a new plug and I'll wire it myself. The old adapter is a solid molded type. Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do dog shows so where I go I am lucky to find 20 amp. Fields, fairgounds, and parking lots. Most campgrounds I will stop at are 30 amp in the spots I park... back in mostly unless I am running late (big mile days) and it's dark, then I'll go for a pull through.
To me 30 amp is plenty. I rarely use more than that. One ac is plenty lol. I am outside most of the time anyway enjoying the area unless it's raining.
Those camco cord caps are very nice.
I am just making up a 6/4 50 footer with them in so cable. I would use romex but it's way to hard to coil up lol so I'll sacrifice the amp rating for convenience and my local counter wants more for bus cable even than the soow.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Marinco - Marinco Park Power 50-Amp Adapter 12" Cord - Electrical Adapters - Camping World

Try the link above, this is a very short 30 amp cord with a 50 amp Marineco female end, It's what I use on 30 amp sites.

I did not find the extension cord I use at Camping World. however unlike the standard black cord this is a brightly colored cord that flexes very easily.

This looks like it might be the cord, only mine is a different color
25' ft. foot 30 amp RV Century Extension Cord Pro Grip Blue - $39..
Old 04-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone ever stayed in a campground where they had ONLY 50 amp recepticles? I recently stayed in one down in Texas somewhere and being as I only have a 30 amp plug on my motorhome, I was SOL. I carry a 30A to 120V adapter so I had to use that and conserve on the electric that I used.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post

Has anyone ever stayed in a campground where they had ONLY 50 amp receptacles? I recently stayed in one down in Texas somewhere and being as I only have a 30 amp plug on my motor-home, I was SOL. I carry a 30A to 120V adapter so I had to use that and conserve on the electric that I used.
I am staying in one currently that has only 50 amp pedestals.

It's called Beverly Beach Camptown RV Resort in Flagler Beach, Florida. The office will loan you an adapter if your coach has 30 amp versus 50 amp. The newer ones will require a deposit as some people drive off with the adapters.

Nice resort but rather expensive for both the ocean front and ocean view sites. We are in their Camper's Village across the A1A where it is more reasonable and larger sites since we are staying here for two months.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Not knowing all the details of your transfer switch and your 30 to 50 converter, I have the following analysis:
Your transfer switch analyses if there is 220/240 volts between the 2 hot lines (as in the "normal" 50 amp service.
When not, the transfer switch takes each leg to power a part of the RV.
There is a possibility that, when one side has 120 and the other not, the transfer switch will connect both legs to the one incomming line. (so that both halves of the RV get 120 volts from the one 30 amp line.
The sensor for this situation could just be on the other leg of your 2 incomming lines.
If you could switch the wiring in the transfer switch (switch the 2 hot lines from the pedestal cable) the sensor could come in and supply both sides of the RV with 120 volts.
I take it that the 50 amp female is sealed and you can not add a jumper wire between the 2 hot's in the connector.
Be aware that if you sucseed in getting power to both sides, you still are limited to 30 AMP service but your RV could !! try to use a lot more (100AMPS ???)

It could mean that your pigtail cable is fine but it unfortunately uses the wrong "pin" to supply the 120 vollts to the wrong line (sensor less).

Hope this helps , Gerard.
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Has anyone ever stayed in a campground where they had ONLY 50 amp recepticles? I recently stayed in one down in Texas somewhere and being as I only have a 30 amp plug on my motorhome, I was SOL. I carry a 30A to 120V adapter so I had to use that and conserve on the electric that I used.

I haven't run across that yet. I do have a 50 to 30/20 I made up.
That has come in handy only once with my last rv which was 30 amp. The 30 amp receptacle was fried and they had 50 at the sites also --- a national forest no less ...rare to find 50 there lol You can buy the adapters ready made also.
One of those things that you may only use one or two times.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Now.. I always thought that since 50amp was 240 volt (2 legs), and 30 was 120 volt (single leg), when you used a 30-50 amp plug, you WOULD lose one side. You are losing a 120 volt leg. Thats what the 30+20 to 50 adapters were for....
Wrong... The proper hook up is this

Thirty --- Fifty

Ground --- Ground
Neutral --- Neutral
Hot -- L1 AND L2 (both hot leads)

Yes, the Original poster has a defective and should return for exchange.

Now, when you go from 50-30 Then the adapter maker picks EITHER L-1 or L-2 (matters not which) different adapters may use different hots on the 50 amps side.

I just re-wired a 50 amp outlet,, To confirm I had it right, I used a 30-50 adapter I happened to have handy... The hot lead on the plug (hot pin?) connected to both Hot socket terminals.. I verified that about 5 ways before we plugged in.. Then one more after, then we send power on to the coach. Oh, So you know, I'm an electronics techinican with some electrical expierence, He's a master electrician.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
So? I'm also an electronic tech, with electrician training... Doesn't mean everyone knows how an electrical pesdistal in a cg is wired. And, just so you know, if you can tie BOTH legs together, you do NOT have 240vac... You have 2 120vac...
Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
So? I'm also an electronic tech, with electrician training... Doesn't mean everyone knows how an electrical pesdistal in a cg is wired. And, just so you know, if you can tie BOTH legs together, you do NOT have 240vac... You have 2 120vac...
If BOTH legs are from a properly wired 50 amp split phase system and you tie both legs together you won't even get 120 VAC. You will get a short circuit and hopefully a tripped breaker.