Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #1

30 amp newbie question

Hello everyone, I have a 1999 33' gas seabreeze Class A. there is a switch on the panel above the stove to select shore power labeled 30 amp "max" or the other position labeled 30-20 amp.
can anyone let me know what this is for? when I plug in it defaults to 30max setting.

Also since I have a 30amp RV with 2 roof A/C's that draw about 16 amps each, if I were to run both should I plug into the 50 amp service with an adaptor or stay with my 30 amp plug on the 30 amp outlet. Would connecting to 50 help in any way?

thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #2

If you have a 30 Amp RV then you should just plug into 30 Amp shore power. Using a 50 to 30 Amp adapter would just convert the 50 Amp to 30Amp. If you don’t have a 30 Amp plug available you can plug into a 20 Amp normal wall outlet with a adapter. This will keep your batteries charged and you should be able to run all 12 volt lights and maybe one air conditioner. You would then select 20 Amp on your switch.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #3

….not sure what the labels met back in 1999....bottom line is you have only 30amps max to use…..even if you found an adapter to plug into 50, your coach can only use 30 amps of load....with today's modern conveniences--that isn't a lot...you are basically a "one A/C at a time" coach....with one A/C on [meaning compressor running] and a second one trying to start--the second would initially pull more than 15 amps to start....meantime you may have lights on, water heater, battery charger, microwave, etc, etc on too. So 20 amps would give you even less flexibility......there are DIY schemes to bring in a separate 20 amp extension cord from the pedestal but that requires some "creative" wiring unless you have a stand alone appliance [coffee maker, space heater, hair dryer, etc] to use it with....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #4

No mater what you do the max load is 3600 watts for your 30 amp system.
But sometimes you may wish to plug into a standard 20 amp circuit. So that switch is doing something to limit the load.
gpounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

Take a look and see if you have a second shore power inlet that looks like a regular male extension cord end.

Using 2 cords to the campground power post, 1, the 30 amp outlet, and the other the standard 20 amp outlet and setting the switch to 30-20 amps may get both air conditoners working at the same time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags