Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #1

30 amp service and washer/dryer

Hi all, we are staying at a park in Vancouver that has 30 amp service. I realize we can not run our electric heater on electric mode ( we will use gas). My question is can we use our washer/driver which is all electric?

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013. Jeep Wrangler X, 2009
Full Timer from Norfolk VA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Yes you can use the electric heater and the electric washer / dryer....just not at the same time. Run the electric heater on low setting and use the propane heater at the same time. The propane heater blower is 12 volts so no amp load except what the converter needs.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Home Appliance Amp Reference Chart | Electric Safety | Georgia Power This will help you understand what your electrical appliances need...volts and amps. Pretty simple stuff...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #4

30 amps should serve you very nicely. Just like adamfolger said just don't run a lot of things at once. Do you have a current meter showing how many amps are being used? On my coach it is up in the main control panel where the tank levels are displayed. Just us that meter to figure out what to turn on when.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #5

Total amperage use is important-try to stay below 26-28 amps, more may cause the breaker to trip; also important is the voltage level. Anything below 108 volts will slowly damage electric motors/anything with an inductive motor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's all about managing your electrical load. If using the W & D at the same time our dryer uses 12-13 amps on high setting and 7-8 amps on low. The washer will use about 8-10 amps at peak spin. So the worst case is that you are using 23 amps for W/D. Well...don't forget those pesky big load items like the hot water heater that will use 10-12 amps.

So...as you have already seen you will need to move your heating (coach & water) to gas if you want uninterrupted washing and drying. The other option would be to run the generator if you must do both and have your cappuccino maker running too.

I think you will find that if you do use gas when possible that as long as you don't run any other high current devices like hair dryers, microwave, coffee makers or your AC that you should have enough reserves to enjoy your TV and run a residential refer without much problem.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Hi all, we are staying at a park in Vancouver that has 30 amp service. I realize we can not run our electric heater on electric mode ( we will use gas). My question is can we use our washer/driver which is all electric?

Which Vancouver? The older one in WA state or the other one in BC? WE live in the WA one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Your washer/dryer is on a 20A circuit breaker, so that's the most power it can use. But that doesn't leave much for anything else, so avoid other power uses (fridge or water heater in electric mode, for example). And no a/c, hair dryer or microwave oven either.

Your 30A service is actually only 24 amps in sustained use - the 30A is a peak rating only. Odds are the breaker will trip if run at 25-29 amps for very long, and the shore power plug and receptacle will probably get hot as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #9

Thanks to all.
We are at North Vancouver. capilano.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #10

Our combo washer/dryer will not run on 30 amps. When not connected I need to run the generator or take the clothes to a self serve laundry.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #11

Sky_boss, everything including espresso machine (haha yes we have one) is working fine with 30amp. This morning i had coffee maker, toaster and electric cooktop (i use it for quick frying egg or heating water for tea when i dont want to take the covers of range off) all on and my power strip tripped off. Thats all we have noticed.
Thanks to all.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Sky_boss, everything including espresso machine (haha yes we have one) is working fine with 30amp. This morning i had coffee maker, toaster and electric cooktop (i use it for quick frying egg or heating water for tea when i dont want to take the covers of range off) all on and my power strip tripped off. Thats all we have noticed.
All that while using the washer and dryer or are you just saying apart of a normal day? Don't forget the forgotten big draw and that would be the water heater if on electric. It pops in play without you knowing anything. HOWEVER...if you have an EMS that would avoid giving the water heater power (or shut if off) during times you need your full 30 amps...that wouldn't be a noticeable "problem".
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
Our combo washer/dryer will not run on 30 amps. When not connected I need to run the generator or take the clothes to a self serve laundry.
You should measure the current dray of your W/D unit with a Kill-A-Watt device. If it is drawing enough to trip a 30A power pedestal breaker you have a problem.
When not connected to shore power, those are everyones only options.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service