Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
We just purchased a 2001 Georgie Boy. We are waiting for it to be cleaned up along with some minor repairs before we take delivery. I just joined the forum and have been reading all the posts. I find them interesting and I am gaining a lot of knowledge. In reading about the 30 to 50 upgrade it makes me think that the Georgie Boy does not have a transfer switch. When we went to put down a deposit and go over the coach, I was told when I come off shore power that I need to plug the shore power cable into the generator receptable so I could run the a/c when driving. Am I thinking right ther is no transfer switch on this coach. We are supposed to pick it up Saturday
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #30

Welcome! Congrats on the Coach! Thanks for stopping by the thread. Keep an eye out because I am going to modify my coach with this type of system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
We just purchased a 2001 Georgie Boy. We are waiting for it to be cleaned up along with some minor repairs before we take delivery. I just joined the forum and have been reading all the posts. I find them interesting and I am gaining a lot of knowledge. In reading about the 30 to 50 upgrade it makes me think that the Georgie Boy does not have a transfer switch. When we went to put down a deposit and go over the coach, I was told when I come off shore power that I need to plug the shore power cable into the generator receptable so I could run the a/c when driving. Am I thinking right ther is no transfer switch on this coach. We are supposed to pick it up Saturday
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
You are thinking right. If you have to plug the shore power cord into the generator to get power from it you do not have an automatic transfer switch.

Jon

PS: You will get more replies if you will start another thread instead of attaching your questions to somebody else's thread.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks I am new to the forum and I will remember that.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #33

please let me set you and others straight! 50 amp sevice does NOT give you 50amps ! it gives you 20amps on one line and 30 amps on the other line. you would have to install a new panel and re-=wire the coach, giving your lights the 20 amp line and your air and possibly your microwave the 30 amp line. very costly. the missconseption that you would have 50amps is just that. many rv'rs dont understand the trie meaning of "50 amps". hope that helps.
ron4strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron4strings View Post
please let me set you and others straight! 50 amp sevice does NOT give you 50amps ! it gives you 20amps on one line and 30 amps on the other line. you would have to install a new panel and re-=wire the coach, giving your lights the 20 amp line and your air and possibly your microwave the 30 amp line. very costly. the missconseption that you would have 50amps is just that. many rv'rs dont understand the trie meaning of "50 amps". hope that helps.
You need to take a look inside the breaker box of a 50A RV - at the top of the box you'll see the main breakers: two 50A breakers ganged together, giving the RV 50A service on each of two input lines. It's already been cited about 6 times just in this thread, but take some time to read the information at RV Electric to get an understanding of 50A service. The situation you are describing sounds like something an owner would kludge together without a basic understanding of how a 50A RV would be built.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Wow, some BAD information on here. Shocking!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron4strings
please let me set you and others straight! 50 amp sevice does NOT give you 50amps ! it gives you 20amps on one line and 30 amps on the other line.
You seem to confusing a 30a coach with a 5500 watt generating running, to a true 50a coach. With the genny running it does put out 30a on a separate circuit to power the 30a coach. It also has a separate 20a circuit generally hard wired to the rear AC. Otherwise on shore power, 30a is the max you get.

A 50a coach is 2 legs of 50a each, with a total of 100 amps @ 120v available to the coach. This is of course 3 times more than a 30a coach when both plugged into
their respective shore outlets. Hopefully this will set you straight.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotucson View Post
Know this! In RV terms, 30 amp service is 120 Volts and 50 amp service is 240 Volts. You certainly don't want to feed 240 Volts into a system set up for 120 Volts. Imagine what that could do to your TV, refrigerator, toaster, etc. Stay with 30 or trade for one that is setup for 50 amp service.
That simple statement that you have written, I didn't even know! I do now! Now I can see why they make reducer extension cords & surge protectors!!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron4strings
That is about the most wildly incorrect statement I have ever read on this forum.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase
That simple statement that you have written, I didn't even know! I do now! Now I can see why they make reducer extension cords & surge protectors!!
What Jim said in it's purest form is correct. A 50a outlet is 240v "service". However, it is confusing to someone witout a very good knowledge of electricity to separate that from the use of 240 volts in a 50a coach. And/or using a dogbone on your 30a coach to a 50a outlet. There is actually no 240v service in a RV from the factory. You could certainly create one if you added a 240v appliance. You can even create one in a 30a coach, just wouldn't be practical as you would be limited to 30a total rather than 100a.

Yes you can encounter a miswired 30a outlet at a CG sending 240v your way and of course surges from the grid itself or lightening strikes. That's why a surge protector is alway recommended.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
What Jim said in it's purest form is correct. A 50a outlet is 240v "service". However, it is confusing to someone witout a very good knowledge of electricity to separate that from the use of 240 volts in a 50a coach. And/or using a dogbone on your 30a coach to a 50a outlet. There is actually no 240v service in a RV from the factory. You could certainly create one if you added a 240v appliance. You can even create one in a 30a coach, just wouldn't be practical as you would be limited to 30a total rather than 100a.

Yes you can encounter a miswired 30a outlet at a CG sending 240v your way and of course surges from the grid itself or lightening strikes. That's why a surge protector is alway recommended.

I think we are all confusing folks that do not understand the term 50 AMP service. A properly wired RV with 50 amp service has two legs of current @ 120vac or one leg of 240vac. Which gives the coach a usable total of 240vac @ 50amps or 120vac X2 @ 50 amps each available at the breaker box. Some of today's. Modern units are using 240 for electric heat. A RV is generally wired exactly like a home except with the addition of a transfer switch or other device to isolate the genset, and in some a inverter and separate recpticles are added. Since the 120vac side would have two legs at 50amps, that gives a usable total of 120VAC@50ampsj X 2 or effective draw of 100amps available in the coach providing it has not been limited at the campground pedestal. This is a big plus when running electric refrigerators, dish washers, washing machines, dryers, electric furnaces, electric hot water and more available on modern "all electric" motor homes.

In summary 240VAC @ 50AMP is the way to go and the current RVIA standard, for camp grounds and new equipment.

One more thing, in-line or shore line surge protectors are one of the most expensive over rated piece of equipment a RV'er can purchase. They are not needed in a RV anymore than they are in your home. Use a inexpensive (Wal-Mart $20.00) surge protector on laptops and tv's and take the old lady out with the money you saved.
Winnebago Journey 2002 WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000 5 speed, Air Dog Rapter Lift pump, Michelin XRV all around, TOAD; Xterra 2012 4X4 Auto, driveshaft disconnect. ATT MOBLEY, $20 unlimited internet.
GAGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #41

Wow, I didn't know I would create a firestorm with this thread.

I do plan to modify my Coach with the "Hybrid" 50 amp and just break it out into two usable lines. I'm not going to add any additional appliances. Maybe and extra outlet or two, but that's about it. I asked our company electrician about it and he said the same thing.

Using proper rated outlets, wire and breakers, the big one can be used as two little ones...
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Are you saying that the transfer switch used in a 30A coach can't be used, or are you saying that transfer switches in general can't be used? If the latter, you are mistaken - I've seen transfer switches in many 50A RVs, including my own, and it has been working fine for over 5 years. Rather than having the manual system you advocate I'd spend the money and install the correct transfer switch.
In a 30 amp coach the transfer switch works quite a bit differently

The 50 amp transfer is either 3 or 4 wires (Transfer of safety ground is optional).

When the generator kicks in it transfers the L-1, L-2 and Neutral lines all over to the Generator (Well so many seconds later)

The 30 amp transfers one of the air conditioners from the breaker box to the generator, that makes it a lot more work. Plus the 30 amp transfer switch is not rated for 50 amp use.

So you gonna need a new transfer switch if you have one.