Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

30 amp to 50 amp

How hard of a project is it to change from 30 amp to 50 amp?
thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why?
The entire electrical panel is upgraded with higher capacity breakers and wiring for 50a, and usually due to multiple AC units. I'm not an electrician, but my assumption is you would need a new breakerbox/panel.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

First question is why? Builder must have thought 30A sufficient so did you add an AC unit or something else that draws a lot of current? You're looking at a pretty big job including a new xfer switch and breaker box. Will need rewiring to connect to the new (additional) breakers.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on what you now have. Some 30A Rvs, typically those where 50A is a factory option, already have some or even most of what they need. Others require a major renovation.

The load center (breaker box) is one potential replacement item, and the shore cord surely is. You may also have to re-wire the second a/c and will probably want to add some branch circuits and split others to take advantage of the greater power.

Sometimes there are ways of achieving your power consumption goals without doing a full 50A upgrade. For example, it may be practical to add a second external power cord for the second a/c, if that's what is driving this question.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
A 30 amp RV is just that, 30 amps. A 50 amp service is actually 2 separate 50 amp services 180ļ out of phase with each other, resulting in 100 amps available. (30 amp @ 120 v = 3600 watts, the '2 legged' 50 amp service yields 12,000 watts) Appliances that have high amp draw must be assigned to one leg or the other so things don't overload one side. It's a lot more complex than just installing a new service panel, breakers and shore cord. If you have a auto transfer switch, it will have to be replaced with a 50 amp ATS, a 30 amp can't handle the 2 legs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #6

Sent you a pm rick
Old 03-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends a lot on what you have now.

My motorhome had 50 amp as an option. Everything was already in place except correct circuit breaker, larger wire from transfer switch to breaker panel and 50 amp power cord. Lots of wiring changes but no big deal. Cost my about $100.

The reason I changed over was addition of washer dryer and microwave changed to convection. Wanted to be able to run everything at the same time,
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
The reason I changed over was addition of washer dryer and microwave changed to convection. Wanted to be able to run everything at the same time,
So you do laundry while cooking/baking? What a slave driver!! I'm retired and don't have as much need to multi-task anymore!!!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #9

Rick:
No mention of your coach/chassis/year. If it is a 30A wiring, you would need a 50A xfer switch as well as the power cord fuse panel and rewiring everything else. On mine I can use everything at the same time except both A/C units from shore power. Can use both when on genny 5KW. There is a workaround to run both at the same time but then is the issue of 30A available at the camp pedestal.

Mine is an ASLY 2000 built on a 1999 P32 chassis

Steve
Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #10

Hey thanks for all the information. I should have put in more info. I have a Fleetwood expedition 36'. Seems when I run the AC's & turn on something else I pop the main breaker. The book says my AC's draw 26 amps. Don't leave much room for anything else. Not sure if it is worth the effort. Still would have to involve the generator in this project. The AC's are set up that if they see too much draw the back one goes into a sleep mode. But more power would be nice.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Control Panel

I would give Fleetwood a call with your FIN Number. If nothing else they will send you a complete wiring diagram. A competent electrician should be able to look at the diagram and tell you if it's at all possible.

Even at 50A we still manage to occasionally pop a breaker.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Since many (most?) Expeditions are factory wired for 50A, there is a good chance that you have much of what you need already in place. However, since you don't seem to have much electrical expertise yourself, you would probably be paying to have it done and that's going to make it quite expensive. The 50A shore cord alone is probably going to be around $200 plus installation.

In any case, you need to have a knowledgeable person look at the components you have and estimate what needs to be changed. Getting the wiring diagrams from Fleetwood is a first step and its free. Just have your FIN (Fleetwood serial number) handy and call Customer Service; they will email the drawings to you.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a nice long explanation type up but when I submitted this I got server unavailable error and it erased it. So I am going to type shorter post this time.

You do not need to change anything except power on one a/c

Add a 50 amp breaker box and 50 amp power cord. NOTE I said add not change. In the 50 amp breaker box put a 30 amp breaker and a 20 amp breaker. Mount a 30 amp receptacle next to the new 50 amp breaker box. Power this receptacle off of the 30 amp breaker in the new 50 amp box. Mount a double pole double throw switch capable of withstanding 20 amps at 115 volts. somewhere in the coach. Near where the wiring for one of the A/c units is would be a good choice. Wire the wiring going to the a/c unit itself to the common terminals on the double pole double throw switch. On one side of the switch wire the wiring coming from the energy management unit to this a/c on the other side of the switch wire it to the 20 amp breaker in the new 50 amp box. When you are at a 50 amp pedestal plug the 30 amp power cord into the new 30amp receptacle you added to your coach. Plug in the 50 amp power cord and flip the new switch on the air conditioner to the position that Is wired to the 20 amp breaker in the new 50 amp box. If you are on the generator flip the air conditioner back to normal if you need both or leave it in the other position if you do not need it. This will allow everything to work safely. You will not need to replace the 30 amp box or the transfer switch. The thirty amp breaker in the new 50 amp box will provide the same protection as the 30 amp breaker on the pedestal. The 50 amp leg of the 50 amp power cord will handle the 30 amp needs of the coach with no problems. The only thing that will have to be rewired is the power to one air conditioner. If you are at a campground with only 30 amps available you can just unhook the 30 amp power cable from the new coach receptacle and plug it in. Put the a/c switch in the old power position and you have exactly what you have now. The only thing at all that could hurt anything is if you plug the 50 amp and the 30 amp power cord in at the same time. IF you did that and you had the air conditioner that was rewired set to feed off of the new box. You could get into a position where you get 220 volts across that air conditioner with disastrous results. That is a maybe but a good maybe. The cure for it is not to plug both cords into a pedestal at the same time.

I agree with other posters. Have someone that knows how to wire an RV do this. Should only be 3 or 4 hours of work at the most. If you mount the switch and the new 50 amp box yourself where all they have to do is wire should be even less.

Will cost a LOT less money that actually changing out the circuit and if you only have 30 amp pedestal will keep you from having to use an adapter and the heat problems involved with that.