Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
I do not use the screw on type wire nuts or solder in any RV or home wiring.
The crimp stile with a push on cover is what I use so the will not come loose on the road.
This is what I use.

Wow you are even using the proper crimping too that is impressive.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
gemini5362, your military soldering experience are much different than house wire soldering. You were using silver solder. Silver is a great conductor, better than copper. My references were to what the electricians have used. I don't know of many folks who have the bucks to spend on silver solder for home wire splicing. We did a lot of things in the service that just won't work in the civilian world.

Your opinion is your opinion. If you have the time and need to solder, go for it. I just know what I have experienced with such connections when done poorly. Under normal conditions wire nuts are safe and much easier to use. Safe only when used correctly in both cases. Ease of use I think we can agree on are wire nuts over solder.

I still think you will find the NEC book is against you on the solder and tape, though I could be wrong. I think of soldering house wiring in the same class as DC-3's for passenger air transport today. Great in their day, but their day is long gone.
Actually we used regular solder silver solder has a higher temp to melt it I believe.

Your methods are the most common I freely admit the way I like to do it is really overkill. It is my erstanding that the NEC probably does not cover that subject of soldering and or taping wire nuts. I believe that is because they think most people are not dumb enough to take that much time to make a connection if they do not have to.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used "Buchanan's" for years. They are for ground wires to be held securely together. I have tried the green wire nut but I don't like the way they work. Within a junction box there is just not enough room to safely us this product on hot wires. I have done a lot of wiring over the years and the Ideal drive on wire nut is my choice. The thread taper grabs very well, the skirt extends low and the use of a nut driver insures a good solid, well twisted wire connection.

If you need to win the argument than go for it. Your practices are very unconventional and the price you pay may be more than you planned on when one of your connections fails. I hope this never happens.

Good luck.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #74

electricity isn't magic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
Electricity isn't magic.
Sir, I have to politely and respectfully disagree.

I have read the posts in this thread. All of them. And have learned a lot. Very helpful. But when you say electricity isn't magic, I just have to comment. I have a little experience and a few classes (compliments of my long ago federal govt job), and in all of my classes, whenever an instructor could not answer a question about electricity, the response was: "It's magic." Sometimes, they just said it was "FM."

So far, I've not been able to find anyone who could explain to my satisfaction, what electricity even is, much less how it actually works. I've heard arguments questioning whether it actually flows, or just vibrates. And is it electrons that flow, or do the holes flow? And more.

Being a simple person, I choose to accept the simpler choice.

It's "magic."

And a wonderful magic it is.

Thanks to all for their contributions on this forum.

GL Arnold
Old 06-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #75

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
If the coach originally came with only a 30 amp input then it must only have one a/c unit.

My 2003 Winnebago Brave was a 30amp & came from the factory with 2 air conditioners. Winnebago's electrical monitoring system would shed one of the units if needed to keep total usage under 30 amps.

Microwaves, analog TVs, hair dryers, electric heaters are amp hogs.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #76

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
My 2003 Winnebago Brave was a 30amp & came from the factory with 2 air conditioners. Winnebago's electrical monitoring system would shed one of the units if needed to keep total usage under 30 amps.

Microwaves, analog TVs, hair dryers, electric heaters are amp hogs.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote