Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #1

30 Amps vs. 50 Amps!

I have a (factory) Parallax Model ATS 5070 transfer switch in my '02 Winnebago Adventurer. It is a 50 amp. My shoreline cord is a 30 amp wired into it. Can I simply replace the 30 amp cord with a 50 amp cord to upgrade to 50 amps? My site power pole offers both a 30 and 50 amp outlet. I want to use the 50 amp. Thanks, Randy
BigRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

I don't think it is that easy. You should call Winnie and ask them how they wired it or get a wiring diagram. 30 amp has a SINGLE line of 30 amp power coming and 50 amp has TWO 50 amp lines coming in. It depends on how the transfer box was wired to the circuit breakers and if the power from the breakers was split up or not. If it was wired as a single circuit then just going to 50 amps will only increase you amperage on one line. If it was that easy then why was it not wired up as 50 amp from the factory.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No. Your 30a cord is merely a single leg 120vac connection capable of handling 30a. (1 hot, 1 common and 1 ground.) A 50a is 2 - 120vac connections (2 hot, 1 common and a ground) capable of 50a on each with a total of 100a.

Since you have a 30a cord, you have a 30a system. You would need to re-wire your coach to 50a to use 50a service.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #4

Only if you want a fire (jlyon69) is correct.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Short answer is probably not. Mine had 50 amp transfer switch and 100 amp distribution panel with one 30 amp breaker, so was fairly easy, course I'm an electrician.

Had to replace the power cord, rewire the transfer switch, replace the feeder wire from the transfer switch to distribution panel with 6-3 with ground cable.

replace the 30 amp breaker and two 20 amp breakers for a/c with a 20-50-50-20 breaker and some minor rewiring inside the distribution panel.

All drawings are available on Winnebago website and you can print off and compare side be side the two wiring configurations.

Be glad to help any other way I can. I've helped several other people, search for other threads on this forum, there is several.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote