Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

30 and 50 amp Electrical Systems on Motorhomes

I don't have a caoch yet but I am looking at all electric rigs that need 50 amp electrical service. So if I stayed at a park that only had a 30 amp service here are my questions:

1) Can you still physically plug the coaches 50amp plug into a smaller 30 amp service and just reduce the demand loads inside the coach such as not running AC?

2) If the configuration of the 30 and 50 amp plugs are the same then would you damage the coaches electrical stsyem if you exceeded 30amps or would this just trip the park service breaker?
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketList View Post
I don't have a caoch yet but I am looking at all electric rigs that need 50 amp electrical service. So if I stayed at a park that only had a 30 amp service here are my questions:

1) Can you still physically plug the coaches 50amp plug into a smaller 30 amp service and just reduce the demand loads inside the coach such as not running AC?

2) If the configuration of the 30 and 50 amp plugs are the same then would you damage the coaches electrical stsyem if you exceeded 30amps or would this just trip the park service breaker?
You can't physically plug the 50 amp plug into a 30 amp recepticle. However, there are adaptors that allow you to plug your 50 amp plug into a 50 to 30 amp adaptor and then plug it in to the shore power at a park. This answers both your questions.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketList View Post

You can always run one AC on 30 AMP maybe two depending on what other electrical items are running at the same time. We ended up staying at campsites with only 30 AMP more often than ones with 50 AMP and had no problem using everything other than both AC's.

Adam
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
paz

As has been stated, there is an adapter to enable you to plug your 50-amp coach into a 30-amp receptacle. The adapter is relatively inexpensive. There is another adapter to enable you to even step down even further and plug your 50-amp coach into a regular household 15 or 20-amp plug. You won't be able to run much except the TV, a few lights and the battery charger, but it will work. If you try to draw too much power, it will trip the breaker.

If you have a choice, go for a 50-amp RV.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #5

Hi Everyone,
I just purchased my first motorhome, a 1996 Newmar Kountry Star DP and was wondering something similar to this post. I keep seeing references to 20, 30 and 50 amp. How do I know what my coach has and what are the differences? I don't have the coach yet but thought I would start learning about it as there is much to learn. Thanks.
Paula
paula55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula55 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I just purchased my first motorhome, a 1996 Newmar Kountry Star DP and was wondering something similar to this post. I keep seeing references to 20, 30 and 50 amp. How do I know what my coach has and what are the differences? I don't have the coach yet but thought I would start learning about it as there is much to learn. Thanks.
Paula
It will probably be a 30 amp unit, our first DSDP was a 50 amp in 2002. You can tell by looking at the shore power plug in. If it's three prongs its 30 amps. 50 amp takes 4 prongs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Website that helps explain RV electrical service

RV Electric
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
another

Electrical Tutorial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
It will probably be a 30 amp unit, our first DSDP was a 50 amp in 2002. You can tell by looking at the shore power plug in. If it's three prongs its 30 amps. 50 amp takes 4 prongs.
Last fall I bought a 1996 HR Endeavor, and it's a 50 amp coach. So don't assume based solely on the year - check your shore plug. And like others have mentioned, you can easily adapt a 50 down to 30 and then another adapter on that one will get you down to a house plug.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #10

I have 50 amp in my 87 Allegro. I also carry adapters to go all the way down to 15amp. No big issue. I have been in 98 degree weather and still only needed to run on AC. Never had an issue. Can't run AC at home, but in the PNW you very seldom need AC.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #11

Thanks to all for the replies. I especially like the links from okmunky. The link to the RVcruzer.com site is great! Bruce
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

A: Yes but you have to use an adapter, the 50 amp plug will NOT fit in a 30 amp outlet.

2) If the configuration of the 30 and 50 amp plugs are the same then would you damage the coaches electrical stsyem if you exceeded 30amps or would this just trip the park service breaker?[/QUOTE]

A: they are different, however every RV place, including Walmart Automotive carries adapters.

And they also sell adapters that let you plug a 30 amp rig into a 50 amp outlet (you may wish to do this due to the higher quality of the 50 amp connection)

If you plug a 50 amp rig into 30 amp outlet, you can (As my wife just did) trip the park breaker.

If you plug a 30 amp rig into 50 amps (using proper adapter) you trip the main breaker INSIDE the RV,

One caution.. And there are many who have felt this bite.

The TT-30 (Travel Trailer 30) outlet looks a lot like common outlets used by 240 volt hardware, Dryers, Welders and such. Though there are several different outlets used for 240 volt.. At least one of them is close enough to plug a 30 amp RV into..

Of course the RV is a 120 volt device, plugging into a welder outlet will ..... Let all the money out of your wallet.

Now at a campground.. You **SHOULD** not have a problem.. But many have plugged in at home, or at a friend's house, often with assurances that other RVers have plugged in there...... At great expense.

For compairison. 30 amp is 3 wires, Hot, Neutral, Safety ground.

50 amp is 4 wire L-1 (hot), Neutral, L-2 (hot) and safety ground, it, like your house, is 120/240 volt service, 50 amps at 240 volt, or 12000 watts, as opposed to 3600 watts on 30 amp

Tags
electrical