Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
30 days - 10 warranty problems

30 days in a brand new motorhome and already 10 warranty problems - is that about average

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:16 AM   #2

Honestly, never had a new motor home, but depending on your immediate need and the seriousness of the issues, time to talk to both the manufacturer and the dealer, at the same time, and don't let them bull **** you

Old 09-04-2016, 04:00 AM   #3

I think it would depend on the issues. If they are serious enough to cause you not to be able to use the coach I would agree that's a problem. If they were minor adjustment issues, etc I would keep my punch list going.

I appreciate that laying out that much $$ for a new coach it should be problem free. Unfortunately we know that is not going to happen. The last new coach I bought was in 1987 and it was a Newmar. By far, the best and most problem free coach I owned. But, it did not have slide outs, leveling jacks, etc.

Good luck and hope the rest will be minor and fixed quickly.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
30 days in a brand new motorhome and already 10 warranty problems - is that about average

Somethings can be little and others can be major,my 04 was a disaster and my rev was 0 except for batteries that they killed on the lot. Doesn't matter what you pay they all have something wrong. Just curious how many of the 10 should have been caught at pre delivery inspection?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #5

10 items is pretty low, I have had over 40 on several new units.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As noted, I think it depends upon the severity of the issues. Our original punch list was about a dozen items. Considering that our new home had about 50 items on its list, that's not too bad. You have to remember that a MH is a house on wheels and has the problems of both a home and a car.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

In a year had over a 100 minor issues. No major. I'm very handy, nothing I could not fix. Everything must work correctly. Then made 50 more improvements.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If any of the issues are major problems get them fixed ASAP to ensure the fix is permanent. Do not relent, keep going up the chain of command until satisfied.

We had a Class C with a problems associated with the Ford Chassis, which was a complete disaster. The first major problem was a cracked manifold. It was in the shop almost 4 months because the problem was across the 460 engine. There were no manifolds in inventory anywhere in the USA because it was such a problem, called the customer service line and also talked to local dealers. In the end I asked for an extension of warranty due to the fact I was not able to use the rig. It was denied. Guess what, the other side failed just of the warranty window, it they would have extended the warranty it would have been covered.

The major problems were:
Drivers side Manifold
Passenger side Manifold
Firestone tires failed, side wall, tread separation, steel cord broken
Drivers side Manifold warped
Transmission seal failed, new replacement seal came with a warning to techs stating original seal was not suited to HD Truck application DUH!!
Oil pump pick up tube cracked causing fluctuating & loss of oil pressure
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #9

A. Serious fact many are not aware of...

Ever read your warranty statement?

Almost all have a line that states you may have other rights based on your state.

In Ca there is one that is huge and simple that we discovered while dealing with extended service on a tv set.

The short of it is this.

Warranty clock STOPS when any issue that is a warranty issue is reported to the warranty servicer. And does NOT START until the issue is resolved to the customers satisfaction...PERIOD!

With a complex thing such as an rv a motor failure would stop warranty on the motor but the rest would continue. ...One may assume....BUT...

Anytime something fails that results in loss of use of "package" then the "package" clock stops until said package is again usable.

The manufacturers will deny this 99% of the time but a call to the state consumer protection line usually will determine if you have this protection and they usually will either call the warranty servicer or send you a copy of the rules for you to follow up.

It is critical to put warranty servicer on notice ASAP as soon as something fa I ls and a phone call is not enough.

Always in writing and simple as sending them a "follow up" email confirming the discussion including all facts and ALWAYS copy your personal email so you have easy proof.

Ask them to use that original email and reply all for all communication so it is easy to justify any claims.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks guys - I don't feel so bad now. Issues were as small as bay doors not staying closed due to maladjusted latch....to my big slide broke after the 3rd use. Half of the items could have been caught by manufacturer or dealer but I think they see the customer as the quality control department.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We are on RV #6...half used, half new. Many of the problems with the new ones were easy for me to fix, and not worth taking it to the dealer. Only went to the dealer when we had a serious issue, that I could not fix. Sure, we could have had the dealer fix the minor problems, but it was not worth the trouble.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #12

10 items isn't that much, and I might suggest you will find more. Many of the warranty items we found could have been fixed by me in no time, but they should fix their problems.... Keep good notes, take pictures, get them all documented. Then go have them fixed.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Thanks guys - I don't feel so bad now. Issues were as small as bay doors not staying closed due to maladjusted latch....to my big slide broke after the 3rd use. Half of the items could have been caught by manufacturer or dealer but I think they see the customer as the quality control department.
31 here. Brought it in for service at the dealer (Lazydays - AND DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DON'T BRING IT TO LAZYDAYS ). That list grew to 41 while it was at the dealer
After FIVE (5) months at the dealer I had enough. Am bringing it to the manufacturer for all the items Lazydays did not/could not fix. Have heard nothing but good comments about Fleetwood service center. They extended my warranty for the time I was unable to use my coach. They also put that in writing. I thought that was above and beyond considering I didn't even ask for it.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
10 is extremely LOW! People in my circle who have purchased new RV's usually have a list of 50-60 which can take months or a couple of years to work through. And that doesn't include others that pop up later.

I have never purchased new, only second hand. I let the original owners deal with the warranty work and I only have to deal with whatever happens on my watch. And trust me there is ALWAYS something.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
ems, problems