Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #15

but what if there is only 30 amp service available. thats where the adapter comes in.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #16

tripping breakers

I had a similar problem and eventually they found a screw from some interior trim had hit a wire in the wall causing breakers to trip when connected to shore power.

shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Bottom-line, your coach only needs 30 amp service. There are some parks that ONLY offer 50 amp service where they will loan you a 50-30 amp adapter to use while there.
Never been in one yet that would loan you an adapter, they tend to disappear. They will be glad to sell you one though (at double the CW price)!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Never been in one yet that would loan you an adapter, they tend to disappear. They will be glad to sell you one though (at double the CW price)!
We worked for two summers in a park that had only 50A service. We loaned 30/50 adapters to anyone who needed one. The park is Suncrest, in Moses Lake, WA.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a 2012 sunstar and it has a 50 amp service. Why do you need a 30 amp
adapter? Just plug in the 50 amp cord.
The 26, 27 and 30 ft models have 30A power as standard. 50A is in the 35 ft models.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
When wintering in Florida, the Beverly Beach Camptown RV Park near Flagler Beach has only 50 amp pedestals without circuit breakers.

They loan out adapters to anyone with 30 amp rigs. They don't charge for the loan and I would bet that most people return them other than the ones that want everything for nothing and would steal you blind.

By the way, if you want the BEST ocean front RV Park on the Atlantic side, this is the one. Not cheap though. That's how they pay for the adapters that the lousy thieves had run off with,

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #21

Call the factory and have them recommend another dealer to do your warranty work . The place you are at certainly has no clue what they are doing.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #22

I was told by an electrician years ago to check the clamp screws in the breaker box once a year. He explained that electricity causes a vibration as it travels across from the wire to the connector, which causes heat which causes a degradation of the breaker over time, as well as causes the breaker to trip. Duh!!, why did I not think of that? So once a year, I tighten the screws and sure enough they are usually loose.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
sharksgirl21......You're getting a lot of bad info here about running away from your dealer without a lot more information. You need to answer some questions before ANYONE can help you.

-Are you new to RVing?

-Is this the first coach you've had that has an onboard genrator?

-Were you trying to run the generator and plugged into shore power when the transfer switch went bad?

-Do you have two A/C units? Were you trying to run them both on the generator or shore power? What else were you trying to operate when the breakers tripped.

Some things to keep in mind. The difference between 30 amp shore power and 50 amp shore power.....ESSENTIALLY....a 50 amp shore power cord has four prongs, a neutral, a ground and two hots. Both hot sides bring in 50 amps for a total of 100 amps in a 50 amp coach (this doesn't make sense to some, but is how it works). On a 30 amp circuit, you have a three prong plug. One neutral, one ground and one hot. The one hot brings in ONLY 30 amps. When you use an adapter, you'll still be limited to 30 amps.

You are limited to what you can use at any one time. Your A/C unit will use up to 15 of your 30 amps to operate. Your microwave, refrigerator, electric water heater and battery charger are all using amps. When you only have 30 ams of power, you really have to monitor what you're using. Your coach has a monitor for this purpose and GENERALLY allows you to only turn certain things on at a time. Even though your coach is monitoring what you're using, it can't control what is plugged into outlets like portable heaters and hair dryers. This will cause your circuits to blow (flip as you say).

Don't forget that an electric water heater option is a huge draw when it cycles on and so is your battery charger if your coach has been using 12 volts for awhile without running or hooked to shore power.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence and you may know a lot of these things, but your initial post seemed like you might be new to how some of this stuff works.

Some of the best advice above is to go through all of the main grounds and make sure they're tight. This is a good practice every few years. They do work loose.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #24

I blew a fuse lasst wekend but I know it was because I had a blow heater, coffee pot and television all on at the same time. I have not gone hunting for the blown fuse yet which is buried in the basement. However in your case if you have a 30 Amp step down adapter running a 50 Amp system Why? I use a 30 Amp adapter to plug into my house when I'm just pwoering the fridgre and one AC unit but out on the road I almost never use a step down adapter for 30 Amp on my 50 Amp system which I believe you have. You will blow breakers if you are trying to draw 50 Amps through a 30 Amp adapter on the shore cord. How does everything work when just powering off the Generator? if all is good than it is most likely trying to draw 50 through a 30 adapter.