Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I have not bought one yet and have seen the locks, hard wired, etc.. Does anyone actually have first hand knowledge of a theft at a campground?
That's a good question. I am about to purchase and also wondered. My gut feeling is that if someone with bolt cutters wants it they can cut the chain or the hardwired power cord (after unplugging) ... the only difference is you can see the portable more easily. But, as described by others, you can install the portable in the utility compartment if you want to. The "locking utility compartment" is a bit of the "colossal shrimp" labeling anyway.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
rvjimmy;

I purchased o 50 Amp one for my 2003 Chieftain and hardwired it in and yes it worked on 50, 30, & 20. And like so many of us due after we get the coaches fixed up we trade them off so we can start over. . I traded for my Horizon and of course I had to purchase a new Surge Protector. This time I purchased the portable one with a lock. It is not as convenient as the hard wired one but at least I can keep it if I trade.

Don

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
We have the portable 50 amp and have the locking box for it. We leave it fastened to the end of the cord and just put it into the bay when we coil the cord up. We are fulltimers and travel all over US....have had it for 18 months now and never had an issue with theft or feeling like it might get stolen.
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I have not bought one yet and have seen the locks, hard wired, etc.. Does anyone actually have first hand knowledge of a theft at a campground?
In over 30 years of Rving, know of 2 instances. One was Halloween items and Beer out of coolers, Both at nights, differnent years and campgrounds and probally teenagers.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #19

My MH dealer argued against the inline surge protector. If you do take a hit and the protector does its job, are you then without power in the MH or is there a way to still get power bypassing the now damaged inline protector?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John777Cal View Post
My MH dealer argued against the inline surge protector. If you do take a hit and the protector does its job, are you then without power in the MH or is there a way to still get power bypassing the now damaged inline protector?
Mine is hard wired. I took a hit in Anaheim last year.

To restore power I had to remove the surge protector and wire nut the lines together.

Took less than 30 minutes to remove it and connect the wires with wire nuts to restore power.

This happened on Sunday night. I Fedex'd the surge protector to Progressive Industries on Monday morning and received it back Wednesday afternoon.

Pretty impressed with their customer service. They will also walk you through trouble shooting the unit over the phone which may keep you from removing it.

If you go with the hard wire version with remote be sure to install the remote in a cabinet or closet. The LED readout is bright and will keep those sensitive light awake.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
OK I get the message now. We have used ours for two seasons, mostly unlocked without a problem. In CGs we have not been in I will sometimes lock the pedestal cover so the surge protector can't be unplugged. The coach could still be quickly unplugged from it in an emergency. No I do not ask for permission but do this rarely.

When we use the 50A extension cord I plug the protector in between the coach's cord and the extension then hide it underneath the coach.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote