Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #15

I would definately go for the 50 amp with the proper wiring. Important to know that the 50 amp is 4-wire 240 volt service (red/120 power,black/120 power, white/ neutral, green, ground). The 30 amp looks just like the old 3-wire 240 volt dryer plugs but it IS NOT! It is 3-wire 120 volt service (black/120 power, white/neutral, green/ ground). The 50amp to 30 amp adapter takes the 30 amp/120V feed and splits it to both sides of the 240 service. If you wire the 30 amp service for 240 volts like your old clothes dryer, you will put 120 volts into the neutral of the coach with very bad results.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #16

Think I'll go with the 50 amp' I'll want to add an approved outside box to the building so I can plug it in there. I'll have time as i'll be winterizing it next week. So I'll do it over the winter. BluBounder thanks for that info. I'll look for more specifics when I do it. I'll go price it out over the next couple weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	50313  

Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
If I were going through the hassle of installing the UG cable, box, breakers, etc. the little extra cost for larger gauge wire is pittance compared to the convenience of having FULL RV 50 amp aka 100 amp service to my coach. It would allow me to run everything and anything that I wanted to at anytime.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Here are instructions for both 30 and 50 AMP the wire sizes are at the bottom of the sheets.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%213455

Dick
Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #19

While I agree with Blu as to installing 50A service, I disagree with the definition of the 50A service as a 240V service. As I understand it, you are providing two 120V lines to the RV, but nothing in the RV is using 240V. I also understand the 50A to 30A adapter does not split the incoming voltage, but routes 120V from one side of the 50A service post to part of the internal RV circuits, maybe controlled by an EMS.

I also don't think I agree with Turtle saying use of an adapter raises the possibility of resistance/failure/overheating. My EMS senses what level of power source I am connected to and maintains a load not to exceed the rated input current (30A). If the adapter is built for 30A and the EMS will not draw more than that, no problems should be encountered.

All that said, if I were putting in new service, I would definitely install 50A service if I owned a 50A RV. If I had a 30A service already (as I do) I would not hesitate to continue to use it in a limited way for a 50A RV.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I store beside my house and put in a 30 amp outlet. Figured I wouldn't need any more than that.
Then, last year, a water line broke in our house and we had to live in the coach for a couple months in July and August when it's 110 degrees around here. Need both air conditioners for sure then.

My insurance company sent an electrician out and upgraded me to 50 amp along with paying my extra power bill.

So I think your decision to go with a 50 amp is a good one. You never know when you'll need it.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
While I agree with Blu as to installing 50A service, I disagree with the definition of the 50A service as a 240V service. As I understand it, you are providing two 120V lines to the RV, but nothing in the RV is using 240V. I also understand the 50A to 30A adapter does not split the incoming voltage, but routes 120V from one side of the 50A service post to part of the internal RV circuits, maybe controlled by an EMS.

I also don't think I agree with Turtle saying use of an adapter raises the possibility of resistance/failure/overheating. My EMS senses what level of power source I am connected to and maintains a load not to exceed the rated input current (30A). If the adapter is built for 30A and the EMS will not draw more than that, no problems should be encountered.

All that said, if I were putting in new service, I would definitely install 50A service if I owned a 50A RV. If I had a 30A service already (as I do) I would not hesitate to continue to use it in a limited way for a 50A RV.
A properly wired 50A RV service is in fact a 240V service, just like your home electric panel is a (most likely) 200A 240V service. The 240V is available in the RV panel, but it is rarely if never used with a double pole breaker, which combines the voltage from the 2 legs of the panel to provide 240V. Everything in the coach almost always uses only 1 leg of the panel, thus 120V.

The argument on using any type of an adapter causing additional resistance and heat is because of the mechanical connections from the wire to the connecting prongs. I have in fact seen a melted dogbone adapter, melting on the 30A side. I now toss mine every 2-3 years and get a new one.

I also agree that if you can swing it, go with the 50A RV service.

A 30A 120V service provides 3600 watts of power.
A 50A 240V (50 x 120V + 50 x 120V) provides 12000 watts of power. 3.3X more power!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post

I disagree with the definition of the 50A service as a 240V service.

As I understand it, you are providing two 120V lines to the RV, but nothing in the RV is using 240V.
Sorry to respectfully disagree but 240 VAC service is supplied to every properly wired RV 50 amp receptacle. If you measured across Leg #1 and Leg #2 you will have 240 VAC.

The 50 amp plug that you have on your shore cable is a standard 240 VAC 50 amp plug. The 50 amp receptacle is a standard NEMA 14-50R 240 VAC receptacle.

The 50-amp 120/240-volt 3 pole 4

Yes, even though there is 240 VAC going to your main sub-panel in your coach, that's where the magic is done with only using one leg (120 VAC) to power half of the coach and the other leg (120 VAC) to power the remaining half of the coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #23

I have a question about this 240/120.
I have a couple 240 outlets in my building that I installed to hook up welders or what ever.
Can I plug our motorhome into these?
I thought the 04 revolution was only a 120 vac.
When I plug my 240 style male plug into a campsite outlet, am I tapping into 240 or just a 120 vac with the 4 prong outlet?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltrker View Post

I have a couple 240 outlets in my building that I installed to hook up welders or what ever.
When I plug my 240 style male plug into a campsite outlet, am I tapping into 240 or just a 120 vac with the 4 prong outlet?
Do NOT plug into any 240 VAC outlet unless it is EXACTLY like the NEMA 14-50R described previously.

It has to have a separate GROUND, NEUTRAL, and two 120 VAC LEGS.

Refer to the link I had previously posted.

The 50 amp receptacle at the RV Park is a 240 VAC dual 50 AMP power supply.

There are 50 amps available on EACH leg, 100 amps total. That's why the circuit breaker is a dual gang 50 amp breaker.

Your coach is where the 240 VAC is split into two separate 120 VAC lines. One half runs on one leg and the other half runs on the second leg.

Study up before plugging into something that you are not familiar with.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #25

It doesnt seem like it but everyone is saying basically the same thing here. The 50 amp pedistal at a campground [or the breaker box at your house] supplies two 120v legs of power to your RV, along with a neutral and a ground for a total of 4-prongs on the plug. Because there are no 240volt applications on your RV, only single-pole breakers are used to power 120v application from either legs [but never both at the same time]. Applications like heavy duty welders or electric cooking ranges apply both 120v legs at the same time to create 240volts--this requires a 2-pole breaker which RVs do not have [the exception being the main breaker that powers each leg seperately in the breaker box].
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Sounds like only one of your AC compressors were running when you saw 12A.
I agree. I run 2 a/c on 30 amps all the time at my home but the EMS shows 26 amps with both compressors on. I would guess your EMS is allowing both fans to run but only 1 compressor
Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltrker View Post
IF it is wired according to the instructions in the link 007 provided, yes a 240VAC welder may be used from the same receptacle as the RV. The 4-prong plug/receptacle and wiring is identical. (again, read that link)

All RV's equipped with 50A service have identical (240VAC) wiring until it reaches the RV breaker panel, where the internal design of the bus bars prevent bridging them with a breaker to obtain 240VAC; with the exception of total electric MH's. They do have 240VAC available for appliances.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #28

When a 50A receptacle is connected by 10ga wire to a 30A two-pole (240V)breaker, you will pull no more than the breaker allows, so no problem with overloading the conductors. Also, the difference between a single pole (120V) 30A circuit and a two-pole (240V) 30A is huge. Yes, for a 30A (240V) you do need to use a 50A receptacle and cord cap because tHey are the only RV connections that correctly handle the current to your RV's electrical system.