Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #169

Winnebago Owners Club
Never had a problem with the coil box for the 5 years I used it in my last coach. Being full-time and moving about every month the only time I ran into a problem with heat was at the pedestal. It is not unusual to pay out 15' of power cord so the coil is not full. As I said in an earlier post, there is a natural twist in the power cord conductors and this will neutralize the EMF that causes the heat. (I didn't use those exact words.) We would all have problems if the wires were tight and straight in the sheth. There is a greater danger from a stuck 50A or 30A breaker and overloading. If the pedestal breaker is stuck our house breaker, if functioning correctly, will trip to save the day on an excessive overload. If they are both failed stuck then damaging heat is a real problem in the power cord.

If our equipment is functioning as designed no special precautions need be considered. If the equipment that the manufacturer supplies the public were that prone to failure either the Government would intervene with a new law or the manufacturer would be sued out of existence. Good, well maintained, connections and equipment is the only thing we, as end users, have to be concerned about. To add a bungee at the pedestal as a strain relief sounds like a good practice but not a requirement like clean connections are.

With all of this said, don't worry about how much wire is left in the bay. It is designed in theory and usage publications are based upon the 'perfect conditions'. Anyone who has experienced a hotter than warm power cord in the bay has another problem to address other than the coil on cord. But then, this is only my opinion and experiences over a variety of conditions and power cords in my lifetime. I may just be unusually lucky at age 68.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #170

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We have those in our stick house. They are wired and I really did not know there were wireless interlocking detectors. Great idea for places like an RV where getting a wire to them would not be easy.
by the way I meant to type electrical bay area not bedroom in my earlier post but regardless of what I typed evidently my intent was understood. I believe they are a fairly new product I was working on a different rental house and knew I had to put in the interlocking detectors. I went to buy then before getting the electrician to put them in. When I looked at lowes I found the battery powered devices. I have to say I like them I am in the process of putting them in all of my rental property. A large improvement over the initial ones.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #171

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
Photo of the "50A" hookup I have at the Texarkana KOA with a 60A breaker, in the rear area where they put monthly people, mixed in with mobile homes.
Was that Aluminum tape or Duct tape? Both are dangerous
eightydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #172

I can't remember if I have posted this before on this thread, but I think it is a good idea while hooking up to spray a little Caig DeOxideIt Contact Cleaner/Restorer into the pedestal electrical outlet, and on the TV antenna connector. From my career in Medical Electronics I can attest that this stuff does miracles with electrical connections. You can get small (expensive) cans at Radio Shack, or more economical sizes from the Caig website, or on Amazon. Here is a link to some information about the sprays:
Why DeoxIT®, DeoxIT® GOLD and DeoxIT® SHIELD are Different?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #173
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my post # 157 I promised to report back on my new Progressive adapter. I went back to the same site and used my same load on Saturday afternoon. The load was 27 amps all afternoon until about 7 PM. The adapter was worm to the touch but not hot like the dog bone was. So my report is very positive on the Progressive 30 - 50 adapter. I believe the wire in my dog-bone adapter was not heavy enough. I will in the future never use anything else.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
In my post # 157 I promised to report back on my new Progressive adapter. I went back to the same site and used my same load on Saturday afternoon. The load was 27 amps all afternoon until about 7 PM. The adapter was worm to the touch but not hot like the dog bone was. So my report is very positive on the Progressive 30 - 50 adapter. I believe the wire in my dog-bone adapter was not heavy enough. I will in the future never use anything else.

Don
That's been my experience .... thanks for the update !!

Tags
ada