Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #141

Well, my dogbone adapter is new so *I* should be ok. My cord connections are also new and in good conditon. Plus I am pulling less than 20A since I ran this van on 20A house breakers (did for about a month on 16 gauge, 15A cords with AC running, I just kept an eye on the connections and made sure they weren't getting hot. The van never tripped any house breakers in 2 different houses I've had it plugged into with my roof AC & 1.7 cu ft dorm fridge running.

That plus my laptop & cell phone charger is all I really use on 120V. My solar panels keep my batteries recharged so I don't even have my RV converter plugged in right now. My lighting is 12V led and sometimes I run 12V fans for extra air circulation.

And unless you go check the outlets before you pay up, you won't know what you're getting. And too, being paranoid about who you are parked next to is silly. So you might be safe with no one next to you when you drive in.... but then 2 RVs might come in after you and be the unsafest in the world... in late model, 6 figure RVs (much like the one in the original post.. haha) but you won't even know it until it's burst into flames.

So... I say good luck to you too.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #142

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
This spot I'm at has a 60A breaker and the manager refers to it as 50A since it has a 50A outlet...
This is a fire hazard, and violates code. In your 30A camper, you're not very likely to demand enough current to be a problem. In fact, unless your camper has a fault you won't be able to because your 30A breaker will pop long before you cause a problem at the pedestal.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #143

Photo of the "50A" hookup I have at the Texarkana KOA with a 60A breaker, in the rear area where they put monthly people, mixed in with mobile homes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0266.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	43765  
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
Well, what do you think??

Hate to beat a dead horse but I've seen this picture (and the entire text) a few times ... this picture doesn't show that the burned portion was centered in a NEARLY FULL spool ... and it was a machine wrapped full spool that was being used as an extension cord. In other words it was too long a cord and too tightly wrapped. The meltdown was actually caused by high current and the inability of the coil to dissipate the heat because of inadequate air space.

In other words, it's the dreaded "extension cord that is way too long, undersized, placed under a rug, and running 1000 lights for Christmas".

This was found to be NOT an induction issue ... although it didn't help.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #145

Quote:
This was found to be NOT an induction issue ... although it didn't help.
That's silly, anything that contributed to a heat build up in the coiled wire was part of the cause - be it resistive heat, induction heating or ambient air temperature.

The inductive effect that has probably been discussed to death over the last 10 pages generates HEAT - nothing else that is a problematic, just heat. So the fact that the wire melted due to a HEAT build up, probably caused by too much current AND too tight a coil which generated additional inductive heat kinda reinforces the discussion so far.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
That's silly, anything that contributed to a heat build up in the coiled wire was part of the cause - be it resistive heat, induction heating or ambient air temperature.

The inductive effect that has probably been discussed to death over the last 10 pages generates HEAT - nothing else that is a problematic, just heat. So the fact that the wire melted due to a HEAT build up, probably caused by too much current AND too tight a coil which generated additional inductive heat kinda reinforces the discussion so far.

Hey ... it's your motorhome ... do whatever you like.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #147

Winnebago Owners Club
WoW!!! Don't yea just love KOA? It might be a good invention to build a dogbone with a 30A breaker built in. Would certainly help at that KOA!

I avoid KOA's for many reasons. This one just adds to the list.

Keep practicing good electrical maintenance; burnish the prong of your plug, use dielectric grease sparingly and exercise the breaker to your outlet. Then keep an eye and finger on the connections (for heat). I have had breakers get warm to hot when they were at the end of life.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #148

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Photo of the "50A" hookup I have at the Texarkana KOA with a 60A breaker, in the rear area where they put monthly people, mixed in with mobile homes.
That setup is against Many NEC codes and should be reported to code enforcement before someone dies
Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #149

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart anderso View Post
That setup is against Many NEC codes and should be reported to code enforcement before someone dies
Besides the open panel spaces being covered with duct tape, the at-risk components are the outlet and the short piece of wire leading to the outlet, and of course your plug that is plugged in there. They are at risk of being subjected to 60A of current when they are only rated for 50A. Theoretically, they could burn up if more than 50A was being used from that outlet. But (assuming good 60A breaker), could only be subjected to 60A max. I don't know how long a 50A rated outlet will endure 60A before it melts, but I bet it would not be very fast.

Since the most a MH will draw is 50A before ITS breaker pops, there would have to be several things go wrong before a catastrophic failure (fire) would occur, so the risk is relatively low.

As far as using it for my own coach, I wouldn't hesitate as long as it passed my inspection. Would be interesting to know if this is a quick fix to a single pedestal, or if they all look like that.

The main risk of death here is the duct-tape covered open holes. Someone could accidentally poke their fingers thru and get electrocuted.

All that being said, you are right, this is in violation of code, is dangerous, and should be fixed. I would bring it to the CG owner's attention and get a feel for his willingness to fix it. If I didn't feel like he was going to address it, I may take further measures.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #150

Quote:
That photo of the cord and 60 amp breaker sure looks like a 30 amp cord and plug?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #151

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make it like a fraction then easy to remember

E
___

I R

tells you everything you need to know. E= Voltage , I = Currant, R= Resistance

E= IR
I= E/r
R=E/I
now is that not easy
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #152

Winnebago Owners Club
P=EI or I squared R. Power and it's derivatives is the problem here. Voltage or resistance alone will not cause heat. Resistance or impedance will when current flow is involved (I).

In the case of a fire, the power dissipation rate is greater than that of the failed component, or the component is dissipating heat at a lesser rate than it is designed for. Where plugs and receptacles are concerned heat should be minimal of course.

I have had 17 to 20 thousand volts off the end of my knuckle. I am still here to tell you about it. But just 90 milliamps of current will kill the average person under the correct conditions. Power is always the factor to consider.

So, how about them Red Sox?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #153

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thought I would add this to this thread.

Yesterday I brought our coach back to the house after having some routine service done. I thought since it was unplugged this would be a good time to "shine up" the connectors on the cords. I have a 30A connection on our garage to plug into mainly to keep the batteries charged. Took some emery cloth to the 30A extension cord and the "dog bone" 50 to 30 adapter. Shoved it in the female plug as good as possible, the male ends cleaned up nice.

After I was done and it was all connected the inverter/charger clicked on and off like it did not have a good connection. Unplugged it again and started checking connections. The female end of the extension cord would not make a tight connection. I used another one I had and bingo, no problem. There is no reason the worn or defective cord could not have arced and cause a fire so check your connections closely.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Thought I would add this to this thread.

Yesterday I brought our coach back to the house after having some routine service done. I thought since it was unplugged this would be a good time to "shine up" the connectors on the cords. I have a 30A connection on our garage to plug into mainly to keep the batteries charged. Took some emery cloth to the 30A extension cord and the "dog bone" 50 to 30 adapter. Shoved it in the female plug as good as possible, the male ends cleaned up nice.

After I was done and it was all connected the inverter/charger clicked on and off like it did not have a good connection. Unplugged it again and started checking connections. The female end of the extension cord would not make a tight connection. I used another one I had and bingo, no problem. There is no reason the worn or defective cord could not have arced and cause a fire so check your connections closely.
I've switched to one of these from Progressive Industries:

Tags
ada