Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #1

30A to 50A Shoreline Upgrade?

Good morning.
I'm doing some upgrades on my MH and I want to upgrade my shoreline service from 30a to 50a. My transfer switch is bad and needs replacing and my 30a service only runs 1 roofair via a front/rear selector switch. In Texas, it's nice to have both available when it gets hot, thus the reason behind the upgrade. If I'm going to have to upgrade some equipment, I only want to do it once. I have ALL the electrical schematic books, a background in engineering/fabrication and my partner is a Master Electrician, but MH's are a different animal when it comes to some things. Has anyone done this?
Any comments would be appreciated!!

Txquigly

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi txquigly,
Welcome to iRV2. Except for the transfer switch a coach 120 VAC is the same as a house. You are fortunate to have the background, and friendship skill to do this. You'll need a 50 AMP transfer switch and power cord. From there the power goes to the main 120 VAC breaker panel. The unique item is the switch that allows either A/C to run. This would need to be eliminated. With the diagrams and skills you have this should not be difficult. The biggest problem you may be facing is actually finding the components.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #3

Try these guys. They have what you need to make that change. I found them very good to work with.

EMS Products
Harry B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #4

You got to watch when installing all your 50 amp goodies. 30 amp service is just that 30 amps at 120 volts going thru one leg. 50 amp service you get two 50 amp 120 volt leads to get a total of 100 amps. You need to insure your ac panel has two seperat busses and the proper transfer switch that will combine the seperat busses in your ac panel if you plug into 30 amp service with an adapter. My coach is equiped with an inteliteck system that will monitor usage when plugged into 30 amp service so no breakers will pop, a good investment if you want.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by txquigly View Post
Good morning.
I'm doing some upgrades on my MH and I want to upgrade my shoreline service from 30a to 50a. My transfer switch is bad and needs replacing and my 30a service only runs 1 roofair via a front/rear selector switch. In Texas, it's nice to have both available when it gets hot, thus the reason behind the upgrade. If I'm going to have to upgrade some equipment, I only want to do it once. I have ALL the electrical schematic books, a background in engineering/fabrication and my partner is a Master Electrician, but MH's are a different animal when it comes to some things. Has anyone done this?
Any comments would be appreciated!!

Txquigly
One of your biggest challenges may be running another #6 wire from the transfer switch to the location of the distribution panel. The 30 amp panel you have now probably is not set up to handle another hot leg so you will have to set up a second panel.

Also, remember that you will have 2 legs of 50 amp/ 120 vac power flowing from the transfer switch to the distribution panels. Your current wiring between those points may be undersized to carry that current so you may have to replace that also. How big is your generator and can it handle both ACs? If not you will really need a way to limit your draw when on gen power so you don't overload your genset.

Good luck. That's an ambitious project.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #6

Thanks for the input!!! My transfer switch is located right nxt to the load center, so no problem there. The genset is a 6.5 so no prob there either... I will however have to replace the load center to a dual circuit panel....didn't like the little plastic thing anyway! I will look into the inteliteck system, sounds interesting. My shoreline is terminated into a junction box inside the rear bumper, so replacing it wont be a problem....my biggest challenge may be getting a new leg run from there to the x-fer switch. If it fights me, I'll just replace the entire feed. I probably need to bump the wire size anyway!
Again, Thanks for the input!!

Edwin
Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

Since you just want to run the 2nd A/C why not just add an adapter in the genset compartment. You have the main 30Amp feed and a separate wire to the rear A/C there. Wire up a plug in that you plug a heavy extension cord into and run to the posts 20Amp.

Saves lots of money and time.

I bought the parts for that...a box extender, a couple 20amp male plugs, etc. but was in a hurry, and it was soooo hot, so I just pulled the wires in the rear A/C, added a male 20Amp plug and run an extension cord through the bedroom window to the post.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #8

In order to run both ACs, I disconnected the rear ac wires from the generator, I then connected a heavy 110v extension cord to the wiring to the rear ac...I plug in my 30A and the cord goes to the 110v receipt in the pedestal...works great....just don't move the front rear ac switch from front position. The coach is way comfy front and back.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #9

HHmmmm.... Definately a viable option! Sure would save a lot of work and expense. In the early 90s, the norm was 30a service. More 50s now, but still some places with only 30a service. I'm not that much into re-inventing the wheel when better/simpler options surface!! Will let you know the direction later.

Thanks,
Edwin
Old 06-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did same as Jim and pvoth. Ran rear ac wires to a socket and a plug back to the breaker panel.
If I only have a 30amp service I plug the cord into the socket but if I have 2 legs available at the park plug the coach into 30a and a 10awg cord into the 20a pedestal leg and then into the socket.
Gets the job done and save a bunch on upgrade to 50a coach.
The pic shows the cord that is not connected as being the lead back to the breaker panel and the socket is back to the ac direct. The cord plugged in is from the extension cord to the 20a pedestal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	41058  
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Without reading all of the posts: You may need a second service panel. The 30A panel is for 120V only. A sub panel for the AC units will work. If you don't connect the neutral correctly you will apply 240V to your rig and blow everything connected to power the 120V rated systems. You MUST transfer the neutral with the transfer switch. Most modern generators have two 120V lines and not a center tapped 240V.

As you know, balancing the loads is a good practice to follow.

Best of luck,

Rick
Old 06-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I converted an Itasca Suncruiser from 30 to 50 amps. Everything, including the transfer switch had the capacity for it. I needed to run #6 wire from the transfer switch, replace the shore power cable, and change the breakers. There was also a bit of rewiring required. It took about 8 hours of work.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You appear to have what it takes to do what you suggested, but I agree with some of the other posts that go with a modified 50 amp service. I did this on my former rig that was only 30 amp. The main thing I wanted was to run both ACs at the same time. My gen was 5.5 kw so it would handle it when running both ACs. But when plugged into shore power, I had only 30 amps. I used a combination of a couple of components that may not be available since the maker is out of business now.

However, you can do this as suggested by others. Your rear AC will likely be connected to a transfer switch. If you bypass the transfer switch and terminate the rear AC wires into a 20a male plug, you can get a 20a power cord and plug it into the shore power 20a outlet and the other end into the male plug.

This will not affect your 30a service except the generator will not be able to power the rear AC. In my setup, I managed to rig it so that I could optionally plug the new 20A male plug from the rear AC into an 20a female socket that was connected to the transfer switch. This way, I could manually switch where the power was coming from to the rear AC. You could figure this out with your expertise.

This will give you both ACs running and will be a lot less involved and expensive than the full 50a conversion. In my experience, all shore power pedestals have at least a 30a and a 20a socket that when used together equal ~50a. Most will also have a 50a socket too so there is plenty of capacity at most sites to run both ACs and some other stuff too.

BTW, I also rigged a 20a circuit to a single outlet that I added inside the MH where I could plug the 20a power cord into a recessed male socket (20 Amp, 125 Volt, NEMA 5-20R, 2P, 3W, Clock Single Receptacle) that I mounted flush inside the utility bay. This allowed me to power a single outlet with 20a using the same cord as mentioned before. This single outlet I used in the winter (no AC needed) to run an electric heater as much as I wanted from the 20a shore power. The breaker on the pedestal provided the circuit protection. I did not go thru the control panel with this circuit. Not according to code I suppose, but just as safe. Just like when running the rear AC thru that 20a cord. Be sure to use a 20a cord not a 15a cord to assure proper power rating is maintained.

John

zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote