Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

30amp motor homes with 2 air conditioners

Hi folks,

My coach is 30 amp and has 2 air conditioners. I know if on shower power I can only use one of the units, and can use both on generator.

Is this something that is common?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi folks,

My coach is 30 amp and has 2 air conditioners. I know if on shower power I can only use one of the units, and can use both on generator.

Is this something that is common?
My 2001 Georgetown is like that. The front AC in on during the day and we switch to the rear at night in the summer. Works OK but wish we had 50 amp.
Bob
Old 03-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

I'd be curious to know why it matters. 30 A is 30 A. Technically there is a bit more power with 4000 w generator but a 3600 w feed. I would expect both feed paths to run through the same 30 A main breaker.

It really depends on what else is running. I would expect both A/C's to work as long as the batteries were close to full and I was not trying to use the microwave or any other large power draw. Charging batteries can count as a high draw if the house batteries are low.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #4

I am just wondering why they provide 2 air con units and only 1 can be used on shower power.

It's no big deal to me, like RDG we run the main one during the day and the bedroom room at night time.

On my coach there is a rocker switch with 3 settings. Front unit, back unit and both.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine is a 30amp with two ACs also, I can run them both on the generator - I've got a 5500 watt generator with two breakers. I believe one of the breakers goes to the main breaker panel (same as shore power) and the other one goes directly to the rear AC unit.

When on shore power only one AC compressor will run at a time (but both blowers will run). The second AC is 'shed' by the controller. If/when temperature is reached on the AC that is 'working' then that compressor will turn off and other other compressor will turn on. Then that AC has control until temp is reached, then they'll switch again.
Which is probably the answer to 'why have two ACs if only one can run at a time'. Assuming that the ambient temp is low enough to allow thermostat temp to be reached the ACs will switch back and forth, thereby keeping the entire coach cool. Here in the Florida summer we don't even try to run both because they'll never catch up. We just turn on the one that's on the end of the coach that we want to be cool.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
I am just wondering why they provide 2 air con units and only 1 can be used on shower power.

It's no big deal to me, like RDG we run the main one during the day and the bedroom room at night time.
What make is your motorhome? Many motorhomes will run both AC's if they have the Intellitec system that allows them to shed a load. On yours you can run both if there is no other heavy loads. No electric Water heater, no toasters no microwave. You will not burn anything down. All you will do is trip the breaker at the outside power receptacle or the main breaker in your motorhome, If you forget to shut something off.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My 1996 Bounder is the same. One A/C on shore power and two if running the generator. Generator puts out 41 amps according to the faceplate. Shore power is 30 amps. Seller had pointed it out as he showed the coach, so no surprises after the fact.
My 5er has a 50 amp service but only one A/C unit so never thought of using two at once. Also only camp in Canada as I own a house in AZ. Best of both worlds
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
What make is your motorhome? Many motorhomes will run both AC's if they have the Intellitec system that allows them to shed a load. On yours you can run both if there is no other heavy loads. No electric Water heater, no toasters no microwave. You will not burn anything down. All you will do is trip the breaker at the outside power receptacle or the main breaker in your motorhome, If you forget to shut something off.
Hi GA,

It's a 2005 Damon Daybreak.

I have tried both with no other load and did not work.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you need to run both A/C, rewire your coach to use 50a shorepower. You could probably even run on one leg of the 50amp. Upgrade your shorepower cable, your transfer switch (if it needs it), and main cable going to the circuit breaker box. You can leave the 2nd leg terminated in your electrical bay. Just check the buss in the breaker box to make sure it's rated at at least 50a, which I would think it is.

Or, you could do a more extensive upgrade, running both legs to a transfer box and up to your breaker box. Would undoubtedly have to upgrade your breaker box as well.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
If you need to run both A/C, rewire your coach to use 50a shorepower. You could probably even run on one leg of the 50amp. Upgrade your shorepower cable, your transfer switch (if it needs it), and main cable going to the circuit breaker box.
Thanks,

I am looking to change to a 50 amp circuit. Was just asking if my situation was common, which it seems to be in older rigs.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We like prefer camping at state, county, and national parks.......where the majority have only 30amp shorepower service. 30amp service used to be pretty much the defacto standard.

So we're restricted to 1 A/C usage anyhow.

Most commercial campgrounds are 50A, and of course any newer wiring getting buried is 50A
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #12

Same here Kiawah, the majority of our trips are at state parks also.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #13

My MH front a/c vents into the front and back, while back a/c vents to back only. So there's no real need to run both, but you could run the back a/c with the back thermostat at night rather than a thermostat up front where the air may be significantly colder or warmer. We usually shut the bedroom door (to keep the cats out) and don't care what the temperature is up front.

I prefer to need 30A only; camping is a lot easier that way.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
My MH front a/c vents into the front and back, while back a/c vents to back only. So there's no real need to run both, but you could run the back a/c with the back thermostat at night rather than a thermostat up front where the air may be significantly colder or warmer. We usually shut the bedroom door (to keep the cats out) and don't care what the temperature is up front.

I prefer to need 30A only; camping is a lot easier that way.
Hi John,

I must check out if mine does that also.
I agree on the 30amp.

Tags
air conditioner