Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #15

Mr. Hipster Thanks for the reply, I think you hit the nail on the head, I am measuring only one cylinder not the entire engine and I am only 4" from the actual piston maybe even closer than that, I need to redrill and tap another hole just before the turbo, it's always tricky drilling and tapping so close to the turbo without getting metal shaving in the turbo, but there is a way, I drill and use a magnet jst before breaking through and also use the magnet when i tap the hole, a very small magnet that will go all the way into the pipe works well, wish me luck, I sure don't want to destroy the turbo, if it looks to hard to do away from home like I am now, I will probably wait until i get home and remove the turbo then drill and tap. I have removed the muffler and the rig has a new air filter, but it has no intercooler, I have space for one but haven't found a place to get one so I can install it. Thanks Muledeer2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
If you haven't melted the pistons yet, especially since the previous owner had no way to monitor the exhaust temp, I'd say the probe is in the wrong location.
On all my highway tractors ( both Cat and Cummins) the probe is located after the turbo as per the OEM. I have to work the computer engines pretty hard at low rpm's to get the exhaust temp to read over 900 degrees. The old mechanical Cummins was a little more finicky. The Cat is at a million miles without a rebuild (knock on wood or my head)
I'm sure a Cat dealer would give you the proper location for you probe.
Cheers
Dave

Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muledeer2 View Post
No pressure gage for boost, I have yet to find a good one that is accurate 38 ft. from the turbo. Thanks for the reply
The 3 in 1 Glowshift gauges work nice and are electrical and very accurate.
Measuring boost at the intake manifold tells you what the true boost is that the engine is getting. Also installing a air temp sensor at the intake will provide useful information.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #18

Is there a way to increase boost pressure that I don't know about?, This rig does not have an intercooler for air so it is getting pretty hot air coming into the cylinders, I have not seen anything that dumps excess air from the turbo like a waste gate on a 5.9 dodge cummings does. I would love to install an intercooler, there is room for it at the rear of the engine compartment but it would restrict access to belts and other things, if i could lay one out flat under the rear behind the engine it would be perfect I could add an air scoop to it and some electric pan cake fans for cooling my incoming air, or even rerouting my existing pipe from the turbo to the intake manifold might help the longer the pipe the cooler the intake air will be. muledeer2
Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #19

In my smaller engines, 7.3L powerstrokes, I would place the thermocouple PRE turbo the exhaust manifold where they collect into a single pipe. At this location, 1250 was working hard and where I would begin to change driving habits. From what I have read, post-turbo will drop ~300 degrees.

I dont have an EGT on my C9. Although I want one, not sure it is worth the effort.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #20

I uprated a 250HP mechanical Cummins 8.3l turbo and ended up installing an Isspro Turbocator;
http://www.partdeal.com/isspro-turbocator-3in-30psi-300-1500f-r609.html?zmam=74973193&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=7717308 6&gclid=CjgKEAjw2dqcBRC2q-LXjpfxjnQSJAAeYF5L7i130Ez-vpPtEH2Gnb7IsLZRqb57lU6zZ4_yIp810_D_BwE

Just have to keep a CLOSE eye on the EGT's when pulling grades!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muledeer2 View Post
Yep how far can you back off the throttle and still not get a ticket for going too slow, it's a given that reducing throttle will make it cooler.
When I was talking about backing off the throttle a bit I meant like to 3/4's or 7/8's throttle - it might slow down requiring a downshift but not to second gear. I travel on I-5 in southern Oregon - Northern California and do end up in 4th gear on those grades at about 40 45 mph when towing. My egt probe is after turbo and temp will exceed 900 degrees if I don't back off a tad. Are you sure the gauge and probe are giving an accurate reading?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #22

I think down shifting is a better option. Get the RPM's up thus more flow = cooler EGT's
Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I'm familiar with EGT gauge installs on piston aircraft. We always install the probe 4" away away from the port. If we are installing a probe on only one cylinder, the hottest running one is used. Very frequently another probe is used to monitor turbo inlet temp. Aircraft have control over fuel mixture, making EGT measurement critical.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How to drill.

Start with a very small drill bit and work up,to the size you need. Cover it and each successive size with the thickest grease you got.

I've installed several, all pre-turbo using this method and never had a problem.

This has been beaten to death on the power stroke forums. There has never been a documented case of a turbo being damaged by the few shavings that might get through. They will all be long gone before the impeller even starts to move.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #25

In order to compare "apples to apples", the TC needs to be mounted where the manufacturer recommends and provides temp data for that location or where the majority of other owners have theirs. On my tow vehicle (GMC Duramax) I have my TC probe placed on the passenger side exhaust manifold, which is where 95% of other Duramax owners have theirs, thus I can compare EGTs with them on an "apples to apples" playing field. Of course, there are calibration differences between gauges and TCs that must be considered.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Start with a very small drill bit and work up,to the size you need. Cover it and each successive size with the thickest grease you got.

I've installed several, all pre-turbo using this method and never had a problem.

This has been beaten to death on the power stroke forums. There has never been a documented case of a turbo being damaged by the few shavings that might get through. They will all be long gone before the impeller even starts to move.
I drill the NPT tap hole with the engine idling, using a Klein Unibit with some tape to mark where to stop for the correct size. Trust me, you will never get any chips inside the exhaust manifold, just wear safety goggles cuz the chips will get blown rapidly outward!!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I see this differently. You have a coach that never overheats and apparently has never had an overheat issue. You install an EGT gauge and now you're concerned about overheating. You basically created a problem and are looking for a way to solve it.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but this doesn't make sense. Cummins doesn't even look at EGT's on their motors.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:22 AM   #28

I climbed ashland pass on I-5 last week at 21 miles an hour with exaust temps at the manifold of 1350 degrees, i was in second and third, when getting on the freeway from a flat on ramp exaust temp will exceed 1275 degrees, remember this rig is older and has no intercooler to reduce inlet air temperatures. Thanks and I will be headed back down i-5 in two more weeks to as far south as Los Banos Ca. pulling my geo tracker.

Tags
cat, diesel, egt's