Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
330 CAT..Enough power?

I ve been looking at a 2003-05 Fleetwood Discovery 39S with the 330hp CAT engine.

Does anyone here own one of these? I'm curious as to the towing capability of this rig.

Thanks for any input,eh?

Brad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sure, you won't be first to the top but you won't be last either.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have a expedition 38N with 300 cat I tow a 2006 CRV with no issues flat land or mountains....GlenB
Old 10-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 330 Cummings in my rig and tow a CRV with no issues. Climbs the mountains just fine
bobf46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I noticed quite a few of these 39S/330CAT combos for sale and thinking that might possibly due to lack of power.

Presently we tow a motorcycle with a aluminum trailer. I feel absolutely no difference with it or without it with our 275 hp HR Neptune. Less than 1000 lb total weight (bike plus trailer weight). So I m assuming the 39S would tow this just fine.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It depends upon your expectations, not the power of the motor. If you can be patient it will be fine, if you are impatient nothing may be enough.

OTR used to pull large loads through steep passes with small engines and large loads.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We had a 40 ft 2003 Phaeton with a 330 Cat and we towed a 2001 Saturn LS and later towed a Ford C-Max.I always thought I was a little under-powered.We always made it up the hills but sometimes in the 30-35 mph range.
Last year we traded up to a 40 ft Beaver with a 425 hp and we went west and I was glad to have the extra horsepower in the Rockies.Still crested the steepest hills at less than 50 mph but at least over 45 most of the time.It was nice to be able to get in the left lane and pass a bunch of trucks.With the Phaeton we would usually just have to follow the slowest truck cause we couldn't really pass them.

I would suggest if you are looking at units with Cat engines it may be smart to not consider any unit newer than 2007 due to many issues with emission laws and the DPF installed after 2007. Caterpillar did not do a very good job complying with the new EPA requirements and in fact dropped out of the over the road market.The company and dealers do not offer good support for the many owners who have had issues.The dealers just want to throw new parts on and hope for the best.

The Cat engines prior are very strong and good engines and some 2008 Motorhomes may have gotten a leftover 2006 engine in them. It would depend on the chassis maker.

This is not to say that Cummins engines have not had DPF issues also but at least the company is still making engines for over the road and the dealers seem to offer more support.

This is just my opinion based on my experience with my 2009 Cat engine and the research I have done trying to solve all the check engine lights!! I probably would have not bought the Beaver if I had been warned about these engine problems but I doubt I would have kept the Phaeton either.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours is a 330 Cat and so far it seems just fine. I guess one could always use more power though.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
330 CAT..Enough power?

We went to Yellowstone last August via Colorado and the Rocky Mountain National Park. We went over several large passes, pulling a Ford Fusion on a car dolly. We made all the passes, had a couple that were taxing but for the most part plenty of power. I suggest putting on a fresh fuel filter before the trip, it will make a huge difference on power. Good engine.

Pauly and Mike Littrell
Buda, Tx
2003 Itasca Horizon 39QD, CAT330
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey143 View Post
We went to Yellowstone last August via Colorado and the Rocky Mountain National Park. We went over several large passes, pulling a Ford Fusion on a car dolly. We made all the passes, had a couple that were taxing but for the most part plenty of power. I suggest putting on a fresh fuel filter before the trip, it will make a huge difference on power. Good engine.

Pauly and Mike Littrell
Buda, Tx
2003 Itasca Horizon 39QD, CAT330
Your rig is close to the same weight of what we are looking at. We travel through Montana on the interstate once a year which is the extent of our mountainous travel thus far. Sounds like the 330 do us just fine. We're never in a hurry, unless being chased by something/someone! Pulling our little stinkin' trailer/motorcycle setup should not be any trouble 'tall.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

I had a 39 Newman country star pull 24 Ft trailer 35lb car and 900lb golf cart and every cargo bay packed once pass a loaded bus on a hill flat towing a jeep it was 330 cat I was always above 40 mph when I got to the top but I did manual shift.that makes a big difference
Old 10-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
330 CAT..Enough power?

draboo..... It's not just the HP. It's all about the excess hp, and the power to weight ratio, A 330 Cat moving a 33000 Lb coach will wind up side by side with a 500 hp anything pushing a 50000 Lb coach.

We're fulltimers, and my DS (Cat 330) runs at max gross-- 31000 Lb. Towing my loaded Element means we move down the road right at 35000 Lbs, or 106 Lb/hp. I usually cruise at 63-65, and I can maintain that on gentle grades. I do lose the oomph on steeper or longer grades, but nothing outrageous.

If, on the road, you're in the neighborhood of 95-110 Lb per hp, you'll be fine.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #13

We have a 300hp Cat, max of Coach is around 27k, pulling 5000 lbs. We slow down going up the steep grades, but by the same token, we slow down going DOWN the steep grades as well! Slow down going up is function of weight/hp/torque, Slow down going DOWN hill is a function of wanting control, braking ability and stability in curves. Also a function of Toad not being able to go over 65mph while being towed.

You will have plenty of hp to accomplish the mission, you just may not have enough hp to stroke your ego! Not accusing you of anything, but just saying if you are always in a big hurry, you probably won't be satisfied, then again if you are interested in getting there safely, and smelling the roses along the way, plenty of HP!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #14

300 hp 3126 CAT here.
I tow a 9,000 lb race trailer. Mostly Illinois and Iowa. On the way to a race last weekend, I was pulling the rolling hills better than most of the rigs. I could accelerate up the hills and pass them. Now I understand that they are pulling much more weight. But it kind of gives you a benchmark. I have no complaints.

Tags
cat, power