Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

330HP diesel....CUMMINS or MERCEDES?

I'm very happy with my 300HP Cummins and am looking at another MH with a 330HP Mercedes...different from most that I looks at (Cummins 350-400) 2007 model year.

Are MB 330 engines something to shy away from? More difficult to find wrenches to fix them? More prone to cause us fits? More expensive to do R&M on? Are Cummins 330HP as good as their other variants?

All comments would be appreciated, but please let's stick to Cummins 330 and Mercedes 330 units for comparison.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #2

To the best of my knowledge this is a Ford.Chevy Dodge debate. Which one is best? Cummins & Mercedes both make good engines and there are lots of places to either repaired. Freightliner dealerships can repair Mercedes engines.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #3

So there is no mistake in the OP's intentions.......

The question asks for input from those that have either of those engines, and whether their personal experience is very good, average, or problematic.

We don't ask for cross-bashing, just opinions from those that have had them. This is a learning curve for me.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I can only make a second hand contribution. A buddy of mine has a 2007 Phaeton with the Mercedes and he has had several engine problems, while my 2004 Cummins ISL has had none. A sample of one that proves nothing...

Detroit Diesel is the official support arm for the Mercedes diesel in the USA, but many Freightliner dealers will do at least routine service and repairs on them because they are in some Freightliner chassis. After all, Freightliner and FCCC are part of the Mercedes Benz empire now. So is DD.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know anything personally about the Mercedes motor home engines but I have the Cummins 330 Hp engine in my 2000 American Dream and it has been extremely reliable. I've heard stories both ways, good and bad, about the MB engines in motor homes but have no personal experience to back it up either way. I do know from personal experience that the 5 cylinder turbo diesel MB used to put in their cars back in the 70's and 80's were fantastic engines. I had one with 330,000 miles on it that still ran perfectly until my son wrecked it. If the 330 Hp MB diesels are anything like those old engines, I would think they would be OK.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

The MB engine was only available for a year or two. One large POS. Lots of head problems. Some RV manufacturers removed the MB from raw chassis when it was discovered they did not meet the current emission standards. Truckers with MB engines have to sell the units overseas or into Latin America! Avoid any RV with an MB engine.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

Mercedes parts are a little harder to come by
Old 12-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There is certainly no reason to choose the MB over the well-proven Cummins ISC, and apparently some risk of repairs if you do. And you can get a Cummins (or a Cat) fixed most anywhere.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There is certainly no reason to choose the MB over the well-proven Cummins ISC, and apparently some risk of repairs if you do. And you can get a Cummins (or a Cat) fixed most anywhere.
You said C_ _ lol
Old 12-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I have to agree with Gary here... it can be hard enough on the road to get truck shops to work on an RV to start with, much less introducing an less-common engine package.

And from a resale point I think the farther along in time we go, the more and more "orphaned" those MB-powered units will become, which becomes a bit of a graveyard spiral on value.

Steve
Old 12-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #11

Well, Cripes........ I looked at the MH with MB 330 engine and checked the screens for comparative information.

My 37' Mandalay shows average MPG of 7.8 since new (although I'm averaging around 9.5 over 4500 miles.) The 39' Mandalay with 330MB shows an average of 9.0 MPG.

Those extra 30HP aren't enough to vote for, but an extra 350 ft/lbs of torque have to count for a lot.

Agreed on getting the more mass-produced, proven, Cummins. Is it worth spending an extra 20-25% to buy one with a Cummins?

Tags
cummins, diesel