Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #1

Is anybody building 35' Class A diesels. Seems like everybody is running gas in that size. I really don't like the idea of going bigger but would like the advantage of a diesel when pulling my boat behind the coach. Thanks,

shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #2

Is anybody building 35' Class A diesels. Seems like everybody is running gas in that size. I really don't like the idea of going bigger but would like the advantage of a diesel when pulling my boat behind the coach. Thanks,

Old 10-21-2006, 04:41 AM   #3

Something to look at is the driveability of a short class A with a rear mounted diesel engine. The engine takes a finite amount of room behind the rear axle, so the coach is shortened between the axles. This effectively removes weight from the front axle. I've heard (granted second hand) that short diesels handle poorly in some circumstances - like going up a hill and then making a turn. They tend to go straight.

Don't know what kind of boat you're pulling but it also would add weight to the reaqr axle and remove it from the front. The weight added is the ratio of the distance from the hitch to the rear axle and the wheel base. The net effect is to multiply the hitch weight by that ration.

I investigated this when I hung a motorcycle lift on my old coach which was a 40 footer. The motorcycle and lift weighed 1000 lbs which added about 1300 punds to the rar axle and removed weight from the front axle.

When the bike was on the back I knew it. On the highway it was more squirrely. The geometry of a 35 footer would make it worse.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin makes the very popular Phaeton 35DH. Check out the Tiffin Motorhomes website for details. There is a big difference in the shorter DPs as far as handling goes. One brand may be a tail wagger while another may be nice and steady. The word I've gotten from the 35' Phaeton owners is that the 35DH handles like a real sports car. It all depends upon length versus wheelbase as well as how the coach builder distributes the weight on the floor plan. When it comes to the shorter DPs you need to test drive that particular model to see which category it fits into.

A diesel pusher gives you air ride suspension and greater cargo carrying capacity. But, if all you really want is some more torque look into the Allegro Bay 34XB on the FRED chassis. You'll have a 26,000 lb GVW and a 300 HP Cummins ISB with 600 ft-lb of torque. These owners are very happy with them, especially the over 11 MPG that they're getting. There's one at This Link that I've seen and it's a really sharp looking coach.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Holiday Rabler has a Vacationer diesel in 34 feet and there is probably a similar Monaco & Safari model as well (all come from the same factory). Winnebago makes a nice 32 foot diesel in the Journey series and I seem to recall that Country Coach has an upscale 32 footer also.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #6

www.nationalrv.com/

National makes a Tropical in a 33 and 34 foot. They also make a 35.5 foot in a Tropical LX.

I enjoy my 35 foot Tradewinds. It drives and handles great. Spent a couple of weeks in the Smokies this summer driving crooked mountain roads. Also its much easier to manuver in cities and smaller parks. As my wife would say, I make so many wrong turns I've had lots of experience turning this thing around!

Happy Trails, Jim

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited
Our Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
JRP

Fleetwood makes a 34' in their Expedition and 35' in the Discovery models

Fleetwood Discovery 35H

I can say that after driving my Discovery 35 all over the west for 2 years at 70 mph, that it handles perfectly. I've certainly had my share of complaints for Fleetwood, but handling was never one of them.

2005 Discovey

Jim
Old 10-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #8

Lots for me to look at. We know we need about 35 feet. We aren't going to full-time but we will long-time.

Front engine diesels look like a option. What is the discussion about the UFO Chassis?

Thanks for all the feedback and anybody else chime in if you have suggestions.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Since you're already in the Winnebago family, if you could stretch your length to 36' I'd also highly suggest the 36G floorplans from Winnebago.

Not that I'm biased or anything, but just about everyone that has a 36G that we've met really likes the layout.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:53 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-K:
Since you're already in the Winnebago family, if you could stretch your length to 36' I'd also highly suggest the 36G floorplans from Winnebago.

Not that I'm biased or anything, but just about everyone that has a 36G that we've met really likes the layout. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

How does it work out with the two ladies and an open bath? The main reason I have the 35U is because the ladies (wife and two teenage daughters) and a private bath/shower just seemed to be a better match. I dry camp a bit with day trips to the beach and at constructions sites doing releif work so most often we do not have bathouses available to us.

I just would not work if Dad had to pass through from the Master Bedroom to the Galley during a shower neither would being locked in or out of the bedroom.

How does this work out for you?

Thanks,
Old 10-31-2006, 08:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Neil,

We've been pretty successful with our living routines with the floorplan. You are correct, that with the open bath floorplan, you can't pass from the front of the motorhome to the back when someone is showering.

Much of our camping is weekends with several week or two week trips throughout the year. With our family of 5 though, we find that it's not difficult to work around the shower times and like the wide open large bath area but the smaller separate toilet room.

We tend to find that closing the entire bathroom off for showers is not that big of a deal since it's only once a day and only a few minutes for everyone. It seems for us that the shaving, teeth brushing, hair brushing, etc is what takes the time, but with the separate toilet room, we don't tie up the private bath doing those things when nature calls for someone else.

I think all the floorplans have their advantages and disadvantageous and we tend to live with them.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess I will also seem biased when I cast another vote for the 36G floor plan and the overall utility of the coach. The CAT 330 (guess the newer ones have the 350) has plenty of power for this rig and it handles amazingly well. Can't help you with the multiple 'ladies' issue since its only me, the DW and Bear the dog who doesn't really care as long as he can see out the windshield.

Like most of us with the RV bug, we browse and discuss what we'd want in the next coach...we would not change the floorplan except the DW would like a shower/tub.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:20 AM   #13

We have an '06 Newmar Kountry Star Diesel 3511 floorplan.
No issues with it.

Newmar '06 KSDP 3511
flnative is offline   Reply With Quote