Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

35 DP vs 40 DP

How much difference between a 35'ish and 40'ish DP. In terms of interior room, manuverability, resale vale, camp/park accesability, fuel economy.. Thnks
Drop In is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Started out with a 36' and now have a 40' DP and the only noticeable difference is the extra room -- no difference the other variables you mention.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just recently sold our 1993 35' Bounder DP and moved up to a 2008 40' Pacifica bus style DP. There is definitely a difference in access to some places we have been in the past. We have to carefully plan our approaches to camp sites (some of which are no longer accessible), our home where we store it, grocery stores, fuel stops, etc. We have not had much issue with width or even length, but the height is a constant concern. Our in town driving will certainly become even more challenging once we add a toad.

That said, the 4 slides & 1 1/2 baths make it ALL worth it. We will be full-time July 2011 so that will also eliminate some of the issues of in town.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
It's all pretty much a trade off for many of the reasons that Franz mentioned. I travel in a 32' DP and have a fairly easy time getting into most places. Are there trade offs inside? Sure. If you need lots of seating area, take kids along, or have people over a lot, then the bigger the better. However, we do lots of state parks, many of them old. The roads and spaces can be narrow. Storage is not much of an issue, I full time and the two of us have sufficient room for all our stuff. I pull a Jeep, have an inflateable boat and motor and Bikes.

My fuel economy is 8 - 10 mpg, depending on terrain and speed. I usually travel at 62/65 mph. Plenty fast for me, moving down the road with about 28,000 pounds.

So really it depends what your comfort level is. Look at lots of rigs and then take the plunge.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a little suprised that no one in this group said the difference is "five feet".

I have a 35' DP and find it plenty roomy. I was limited to 35' or under due to where I need to park it at home ,and access to a very steep driveway. We have talked about whether we would buy a 40' when we downsize our home, but think we will stick with 35'. One advantage, much more weight carrying capacity.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm a little suprised that no one in this group said the difference is "five feet".
I wanted to, but thought it might be too much of a "smart aleck" remark. Actually, it's a decent answer in its own way, because the extra 5' of length (and the related 2-3 feet of additional wheel base) is exactly what it's all about.

We find our 40 footer is tight in spots that handled our previous 36' quite easily. And I learned (the hard way) that I have to be a bit more cautious on some turns we used to make with ease. Not a big deal, but the extra 15% is noticeable in some places.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote