Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Question 35 ft Dolphin main slide blowing fuses

Main slide will move in / Out, but blows 15A fuse at each end of movement.. Power Gear slide

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Is your slide a push button ; one touch operation ; or a hold the rocker switch to extend or retract type?
Do you have a manual that states that 15amp is the correct fuse size?

If it's a push button type, and your fuse size is correct, then somewhere there will be an electronic controller for the slide motor , that should shut the motor down before the load increases, at the slide stops, and blows the fuse.
Here's a picture of a common controller, so you'll know what to look for.
They can be located anywhere, in my current coach , it's on the opposite wall from the slide , under the kitchen counter, last 5er, it was on the floor , under a drawer, and I've heard of them being found in basements. There is an adjustment on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0294 (640x360).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	101527  

Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #3

235 ft dolphin blowing fuses

Thank you very much for your msg and picture .. 15A fuse is showing on the Schematic .. Switch is a Rocker arm out/in.. fuse only blows at end of travel as it locks up into place.. I can move the slide in/out continual until final travel .. it has worked for years and just started, am looking for the cause !!! take care ..ken
Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

Definitely sounds like a bad controller.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #5

Slide blowing fuses

thank you both for your input, as you both feel that it is the controller, makes sense... now for me to find it !!! take care... ken
Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken dolphin View Post
Main slide will move in / Out, but blows 15A fuse at each end of movement.. Power Gear slide
I keep thinking that our POWERGEAR wiring is protected with something larger than 15amp, but no matter and if that has been serving you thus far, then something else is amiss. For instance and with the way our slide sounds, at the end of travel, I'm most sure the control board has a current limiting device for saving things.
Now if yours has this and it's now malfunctioning, then that would account for this high current situation caused by this huge increase in torque and just like any other motor with a locked rotor.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

I have a Power gear document , that I down-loaded from their web site, while helping a friend with his slide, on a 2000 5th wheel. Appears to cover all their systems. The file is too large to post here. 111 pages.
If you can't find the info on the, Power Gear web site , and would like a copy of the file , PM your e mail address to me and I'll forward it to you.

EDIT: Forgot that you are new to the forums. To send me a PM ( personal message) click on my user name in the top left corner , and select the personal message option, only I will have access to your address.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Ken Dolphin Slide blowing fuses

thanks for you msg.. I can use all the help and documentation I can get..
if you can give me the site or subject to get to the info I will look for it''
kwsnider@rogers.com
Old 08-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

Ken, are you using slow-blow fuses?

My slides have a 30A fuse on the main 12V panel and we replaced it with a circuit breaker type after blowing it a couple of fuses, that was 12 years ago, no problem since! I think we were new to it and held the switch too long.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

Slide blowing fuses

Problem solved !!! After much looking and frustration it was found that a so called tech, that was checking for a generator problem, had changed the 30a fuse with a 15a..... Why, who knows, I only found it due to lack of documentation by confirming the actual circuit component values on the printed circuit boards.. A Big Thank You to All that sent me comments and info...ken.

Tags
dolphin, fuse, slide