Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

35QBA and Multiple TOADS

I am still trying to make each trip multi purpose. I have a 2009 Tiffin 35QBA V10 powered rig. Trailer load rating is 7000lbs. I have a 2010 CR-V that trails along on a Blue OX bar like its not there and is braked with a patriot system. The CR-V is about 3400lbs. I just bought a used Xpress 17ft aluminum boat I am guessing is going to be no more than 2000lbs. There are no brakes on the boat trailer. The CR-V is rated for a 3000 pound trailer.
I am under the length and load ratings for Louisiana, just wondering if this double trailer type setup has been tried, successfully, by anyone.
If this is workable, I can get the boat to the lake, launch with the CR-V and have ground transportation, water transportation and a RV I do not have to use for anything but kicking back.

Thanks,

Milton

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

Yes it's been tried and used by many RV owners. That said you have a problem getting it permitted to use on public roads. Many states outlaw it all together, many states require a special driver's license and vehicle permits, some states restrict usage to certain designated roads, and lastly most states require the first tractor to trailer connection to be by 5th wheel not a tow bar. I am not familiar with Louisiana laws but I would suspect there are several restrictions on the type of towing you want to do. Also, there is the insurance issue, will your policy cover the type of towing you want to do. Many do not, some require a very expensive rider.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler34 View Post
I am still trying to make each trip multi purpose. I have a 2009 Tiffin 35QBA V10 powered rig. Trailer load rating is 7000lbs. I have a 2010 CR-V that trails along on a Blue OX bar like its not there and is braked with a patriot system. The CR-V is about 3400lbs. I just bought a used Xpress 17ft aluminum boat I am guessing is going to be no more than 2000lbs. There are no brakes on the boat trailer. The CR-V is rated for a 3000 pound trailer.
I am under the length and load ratings for Louisiana, just wondering if this double trailer type setup has been tried, successfully, by anyone.
If this is workable, I can get the boat to the lake, launch with the CR-V and have ground transportation, water transportation and a RV I do not have to use for anything but kicking back.

Thanks,

Milton
Milton,
First off, the legality of what you're intending on doing, is best handled by either calling the states Motor Vehicle Division or, the States Highway Patrol of any and all of the states you plan on traveling in. Interpreting the rules and regs in on line manuals can, many times, even be hard for a lawyer. If you go direct to the horses mouth, you'll get clear and concise answers.

Second, have you EVER tried to launch you boat with your CRV and then, RETREIVE IT yet? While you say your boat SHOULD weigh around 2000 lbs., you really need to ACTUALLY WEIGH it so you have a definite figure. Then, and this is where it can get to be one of those, "I'd like to be sitting on the dock watching this" type thing', actually launching with a very low to the ground type car, like a CRV, and, with front wheel drive, could be quite interesting.

I say this because about 99.9999% of most boats are towed by trucks and, much higher ground clearance vehicles than that of a CRV. And finally, not all but, many boat ramps, have a considerable amount of MOSS and ALGE built up on them. I've seen many trucks and heavier vehicles have a hard time not only trying to retrieve their boats after a fun day on the lake but, also trying to pull just the trailer out after launching the boats due to VERY limited traction.

So, this is why I say, unless you've done it, and really know how the vehicle will act when launching and retrieving, I'd at the very least, try it near home, in a lake or body of water, close to you, before you head off with your new little Amtrak. And, one more thing, as stated, most boats are launched by trucks with much higher ground clearance which, provides for non-water contact of the body and components of the tow vehicle at the point at which the boat FLOATS off of the trailer.

I'm suspecting that your CRV would be quite close to water contact in the total lower end of the car, before the boat floated off the trailer. Now, much of this is dependent on the angle of the boat ramp too. Some ramps have just a bit steeper ramp which, allows for earlier floatation without backing in so far. So, anyway, just some things to think about.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Fire up

Thanks for all the info. I actually did weigh the boat. 1990 including the trailer. only 100lb tongue weight to not going to lighten the front up much.
I am well under the CR-V limit and the RV limit.
I would never try this with my 21ft loaded up bass rig.

I am going to call the state police and Blue Ox to get their take.

I hear ya on the ramps. Most in La. are relatively shallow. Arkansas is a different story.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #5

OK,

Called the La. State police.
Rule for Louisiana is three vehicles is 65 feet. Any combination of three. No special license required.
My MH, CR-V and the boat total to 73 feet. the killer is the boat, 17 foot boat but tongue and motor stretch it out to 23.
He did say with the three point hitch for the car, the boat should trailer just fine.

Milton
Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It does not matter since you are over length but you mentioned arkansas. I am from there and I am very sure that Arkansas requires trailer brakes on all trailers. I have never been stopped and checked but something makes me think pulling two trailers they are going to be checking lots of regulations.

Tags
toad, toads