Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
360 Siphon Vent Install Question

I thought I had all my ducks in a row this morning to install a 360 Siphon Vent on my 2009 Damon Outlaw. I watched the install video on the Drainmaster website then read and re-read the install blog post here.
I was ready to go so I hauled everything I would need up on the roof of the RV. I removed the old cap and mount. I cut the pipe to 5/8" from the roof line. I gently worked to get all the old Dicor fairly well removed and was smiling that I was 10 minutes or less from completion. WRONG!
The friggin' vent pipe on our RV is 1 1/4" not the standard 1 1/2" which means everything came to a grinding halt. Would love some advice on anyone that has run into this problem. I am hoping Drainmaster has an optional smaller size insert when I call them tomorrow but if they don't I would sure appreciate any insight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #2

You can get a bushing to go from 1.25 to1.50. Lowes Home Depot
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 62 View Post
You can get a bushing to go from 1.25 to1.50. Lowes Home Depot
Been thinking about that but I am concerned how I will make it still just no more than 5/8" above the roof line which means the existing vent pipe will need to be cut at least to the level of the roof but probably lower ( so below the roof line).
Old 10-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I put one of these on about a month ago but did not have the issue with pipe size. I sealed mine with eternabond tape and should never leak at least for the time that I will own this one.

I purchased 2 feet of 6" wide eternabond from eBay. Cut a couple of circles out of it a little less than 3/4 of a circle to have a good overlap and applied.

Thought I'd share to give you options for resealing your soon to be completed 360 install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013100620291.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	47381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013100621944.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	47382  

Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the tip on the Eternabond Alan, that sounds like a great way to seal everything once I get the darn thing mounted
I can get some 4" Eternabond locally, do you that would work OK or should I go with 6"?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spoke with Drainmaster this morning and their solution is that I cut off the insert to the length of the flange and then glue it to the existing vent pipe and proceed with the install. I will pick up some super strong glue or epoxy today and give it a go.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Eternabond Alan, that sounds like a great way to seal everything once I get the darn thing mounted
I can get some 4" Eternabond locally, do you that would work OK or should I go with 6"?
You could do it with 4" but you would probably need to make them a little bigger than 1/3 of a circle and use 3 prices.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The job is finally complete and thanks for the advice on the Eternabond advice.

I used the 4" width and it seemed work out well. Here is a photo:

Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Looks great. Report back on how it works!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
The job is finally complete and thanks for the advice on the Eternabond advice.

I used the 4" width and it seemed work out well. Here is a photo:

Glad to hear (and see) that the 4" Eternabond worked out for you. After installing the 360 vent on my MH I don't know if it works better than my stock vent but it does look better.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nice job, Alan... and thanks for posting the updates on the project. I'm sure this information will come in handy for someone else who runs into the same problem!

I've been looking at those 360 Vents, too... but haven't made the "investment" in them yet (I'd want three of 'em) until I heard more about whether or not they worked and were worth it.

Anyone out there have them installed? Did you have an odor problem prior to installing them and did they fix it?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is my first report of use. We did have a problem with smell, usually when we were driving or if it was windy out. We would get a hint of something poopy or foul in coach and my wife would look at me like "Hey Mister" but it wasn't anything I did. We tried some different chemicals and that didn't help so as I started nosing around here for solutions I kept reading about people that use the GEO method and the 360 with no smell problems.
Fast forward to this weekend and I can say the results are great. We stayed in a little place this weekend called The Red Barn / Tuttletown Campground that only had water and electric hook ups, no sewer. We did not use any of the usual chemicals, just 4 oz Calgon and 4 oz RV Digest-It in both the black and gray tanks. We had no smell while driving to our site, no smell in the coach with us using all facilities over the weekend and because we were not at a full hook up place we got to test driving home with goodies in the tanks and had zero smell driving home.
I can say that it works for us and I see why so many others here love it. For most people the install would be simple and just a quick upgrade but for us even with it being PIA I am very happy and was pleased to ride home without getting the "stink eye" .
Old 10-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
Nice job, Alan... and thanks for posting the updates on the project. I'm sure this information will come in handy for someone else who runs into the same problem!

I've been looking at those 360 Vents, too... but haven't made the "investment" in them yet (I'd want three of 'em) until I heard more about whether or not they worked and were worth it.
I actually found mine in the closeout area in a camping world store for $5.95. Could not pass that deal up

Tags
install, vent