Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

38' or more, where do you go?

The dh and I are narrowing down our Class A choice for our first motorhome. Dh says he's concerned that if we get one over 36' we will have trouble going to state parks or other places. So I'd love to know besides going to an RV Resort where do you go in your bigger coach. Is there anywhere you wanted to go but couldn't due to size and weight?

Thanks so much!
logsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We go pretty much wherever we want. I've never wanted to go somewhere that we couldn't find a campground that couldn't accommodate us. I've read that length limitations tend to be more of an issue in the western US than in the East, but I don't have first-hand experience of that.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

38' or more, where do you go?

We have a 39' and go just about anywhere . At State and federal parks have never been a problem. You do have to watch gas stations , but this has never been a problem either. I always take my time and drive slow when there is any questions.
mdshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

With our 40' motorhome we go to national parks, national forests, Corp of Engineers, state parks, county parks and city parks. Public parks are always our first choices and we've never had problems. You do have to do some research beforehand.

We also mainly stay west of the Mississippi.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

logsend - I do pay attention to the limits parks indicate for length. We have a 42" coach and stay in lots of private and public parks. Some parks fit big coaches and some do not. But if you go to a National park in the summer with a 42' coach you better make sure they will take you. If you are turned away finding a spot may be hard.

I find rvparkreviews is good for finding out how tight a park is.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
In several years of travel around the US I have only found one state park (in Northern California) that could not fit my 39.6 motor home. Commercial parks in the same area were not a problem.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #7

There is another thread here on this same topic, I know because I started it (I think &#128540 saying mostly the same thing. I'm good with 35ft it's just me...
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We do not have any issues at state parks. Remember when you go to state parks to not only watch the path, but also the trees. I had a close call a few months back when I had plenty of room on the ground, but at 13 feet the branches where not as roomy

Stefan
2004 Pace Arrow 37c w22
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #9

I'm a 41' toy hauler and haven't been anywhere we didn't fit.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That old ">35ft = problem" line has turned into everyone's bogeyman. Are there parks with size limits? Yes. Is it a problem? Not even close. Probably a lie started by some Class C salesman! We've crossed the country four times in the last two years in a 40ft DSDP without a problem.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #11

Wonderful news, thanks so much!
logsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by logsend View Post
The dh and I are narrowing down our Class A choice for our first motorhome. Dh says he's concerned that if we get one over 36' we will have trouble going to state parks or other places. So I'd love to know besides going to an RV Resort where do you go in your bigger coach. Is there anywhere you wanted to go but couldn't due to size and weight?

Thanks so much!
We have a 38' La Palma and have had no trouble in fitting in sites in any State, Federal or RV park. We do reserve as often as we can and tell them up front our length so that problem can be avoided. The site may be long enough for the rig but be sure you can park your toad in the same spot as we have had to park the toad in a separate spot on 2 occasions. Other than that just plan and go!!!!!
guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 37'11" coach. There are some state parks in Michigan (Charles Mears St Park on the west side of the lower peninsula) that would be very troublesome to get into. If one were to go there in the summer making turns inside the camp ground would be next to impossible with most lots occupied. Michigan state parks generally were established many years ago and there were not many rigs of the size we see today. Some of the new and updated state parks will accommodate big rigs. The best advice is to call first and hope some clueless person doesn't give you an OK.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #14

Also, with a motorhome, if you're not sure of the park roads, we sometimes disconnect the Jeep and drive it in first to check out roads and tree overhangs. This is particularly true of forest service campgrounds which we love. We don't typically make reservations but there are some great web sites to check on the campgrounds. Even so, we've never found a park we couldn't go.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote