Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Easy enough to check for an Auto Start.. Disconnect from shore power and let the batts run down some..
thats really a silly way of finding out.all u do is go to your remote inverter/converter controll system and its all there to read and set if it has auto start feature

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ticat900,

How does your MH differentiate between a loss of shore power and you unplugging from a pedestal? Or do you have a verryyyy longggg extension cord? Just curious and JM2C...

teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
Ticat900,

How does your MH differentiate between a loss of shore power and you unplugging from a pedestal? Or do you have a verryyyy longggg extension cord? Just curious and JM2C...
I am not 100% sure but I do know for a fact that my gen set when set on autostart while Iam pluged in will start automatically if the shore power is interruped but only if the sp cord is plugged in.Must sence a sudden power failure somehow because i have had it happen a couple of times.Both times I had power go off while plugged in for like about 30 seconds while running fridge,converter,computer etc and gen set started.I finally shut off the autostart.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

No I am not wrong. My autostart will not automatically start the generator if shore power is lost. Why would I want it to because I have batteries and an inverter. My system just stays on the inverter and battery power if shore power is lost. The only way I know I lost power is if the ACs are going and they will shut off.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
No I am not wrong. My autostart will not automatically start the generator if shore power is lost. Why would I want it to because I have batteries and an inverter. My system just stays on the inverter and battery power if shore power is lost. The only way I know I lost power is if the ACs are going and they will shut off.
I dont leave my inverter on while on shore power so therefore iam glad mine will start when my power is interupted
Old 06-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticat900 View Post
thats really a silly way of finding out.all u do is go to your remote inverter/converter controll system and its all there to read and set if it has auto start feature
Only said that it was very easy...

Besides, there are more threads around the web were they DID have an Auto Start, but didnt know it till it auto started
Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
Ticat900,

The Ground connection...
Old 06-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 2003 Navigator 45' had a Trace inverter that would start the generator based on the house battery level if auto start was on and the coach did not have shore power. Default on that Trace was auto start on. On my present coach the Onan auto start system will start based on battery level, or if my AC's are turned on, I lose shore power, and the temp rises above the thermostat setting the generator will start to run the AC's. Not all coaches are equipped with generator auto start. Not all auto start systems, operate the same or have the AC power failure option. Since we have pets we appreciate the power failure AC feature.

I have to manually engage the Onan auto start feature. Ever time the ignition key is turned on it is turned off automatically.
Dave
Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ticat900, what make and model motorhome do you have? I have never seen one that starts the generator if you lose shore power, that is interesting.

I find it one less thing to worry about by just leaving the inverter turned on. It is designed so it can be left on all the time.

Dave, that Trace inverter is now a Xantrex and is the same model as what I have in my Signature. I also have the auto start for temperature but have never used it because I don't have pets.

I always pray that when I am changing oil on my Onan that it never tries to start, lol.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote