Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
3M Diamond Shield

Is there a fail proof way of getting the stuff off. I have an 01 HR Imperial, and the front end has this stuff that's starting to look real pitted. I want to take this stuff off, but am concerned about ruining the paint.
Grady Ray
Grady Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Call DS or send them an email.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

Do a search for "removing diamond shield" and you'll find plenty to read....
Old 07-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

Definitely do the search. I took it off my 2008 Bus and it did take some pint off. It was a slow, finger cramping process as well. I found lacquer thinner the best solvent (only partial) for the residual glue. When we ordered the 2013 Bus WITHOUT it, it showed up sporting a full DS face. The Tiffin guys at the factory pulled it off in about 45 minutes. Of course there was 5 big guys doing the pulling and a LOT of effort. And yep, it took some paint there too. They used xylene as a residual glue solvent.

Good luck. We're definitely happier without it than with it on. I can fix paint chips, I can't fix either the DS or the chips under it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If it has been on there since 2001 it is going to be a bear to remove without pulling paint with it. You probably have the 3M product and not Diamond Shield. I had the 3M on my old one which starting getting mold around the edges within 3 years. I started by using a hair dryer then pulling the edge very slowly. It took me forever and I wore off my fingernails (had to wait for them to grow back enough in between letting my sore fingers heal). I would peel and then use an box cutter to remove what I managed to get off that day. It looked like you-know-what until I got it all off. I used fingernail polish remover to get off the residual glue and followed by washing it very good. Even with all the care I took there were a couple of places where I had to use touch-up paint. That was the biggest job I ever undertook on that MH.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Grady, I think Mel has right. Diamond Shield was not available in 2001. Getting the 3M (or DS for that matter) off is a little like getting a divorce - there ain't no easy way. Getting it off without some paint coming with it is going to be more difficult yet. Best of luck.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grady, I am in the process of taking that stuff off right now by myself. Everything that i have read did not work for me. I am half done going on 8 hours spent so far. Tried a heat gun, melted the paint stopped using that. Sprayed goo-gone over the film helps some. Using a round edge paint scraper, edge is very fine not sharp. Getting underneath the plastic film pushing carefully. You can take the top sheet off this way but leaves most of the glue residue which is the problem for me. Used some pam original cooking spray and seems to dissolve it better that anything. You will have to back track scraping the residue off. Keeping it wet is the key in my opinion. Everyone was out of xylene (my luck) will be purchasing some to try. You will loose some paint in areas but anything looks better that what mine did.Slow,slow process. Worst product that I have ever seen. I think its one of those projects that many ideas work for different individuals. Good luck. Keep us informed.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #8

I used 3M adhesive remover and it made the adhesive removal part a quick job. I used a very hard plastic scraper to get the DS removed. Very slow job. I peeled a little paint where rocks had impacted the film. Really worth the effort and time. See my final photos. I had the front repainted after all that film was removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3379604035.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	42290  
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What finally worked really fast to get the glue residue off for me was.....Goof off.... from Walmart for 5.97 ,turns it to a milky white paste. Will never buy diamond shield film again has not worked for me.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #10

There is a company in Sarasota FL that removes it but it is not cheap and NO guarentee for damaged paint. There is another company that sells a "love Bug" disolver that says DO NOT use on diamond sheld because it will disolve it. We just ordered a new 2014 Tiffin Phaeton and our order states NO Diamond Shield.
This product ( as well as 3M ) is installed within hours after the coach is out from the paint barn and drier.
The problem is their is still a small percentage of moisture in the paint and then trapped under the film.
Sooner or later it will turn to black marks which is mold and look like **** I have used a bra for years and the front looks like the day it was painted.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
There is a company in Sarasota FL that removes it but it is not cheap and NO guarentee for damaged paint. There is another company that sells a "love Bug" disolver that says DO NOT use on diamond sheld because it will disolve it. We just ordered a new 2014 Tiffin Phaeton and our order states NO Diamond Shield.
This product ( as well as 3M ) is installed within hours after the coach is out from the paint barn and drier.
The problem is their is still a small percentage of moisture in the paint and then trapped under the film.
Sooner or later it will turn to black marks which is mold and look like **** I have used a bra for years and the front looks like the day it was painted.
Call the factory before your Phaeton ships to the dealer. We ordered the 2013 WITHOUT and even had Bob Tiffin call us personally to be sure we wanted it that way. You guessed it.... Came through with the DS. Rather than mess with the dealer (we took delivery in Buffalo, NY on Jan 16) and the weather, we stopped at the factory on the way back from Arizona and had it removed. They tried more than a few times to convince us to leave it on, but when I insisted it was taken off and the necessary paint repairs done.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #12

By the way, the water under the DS comes from the water/soap solution they use to put it on with. Their paint is all solvent based, not water based. Water in the paint would cause no end of fisheye problems.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also used the "Goof Off" and a scraper. The glue is the hardest part to get off.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote