Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

3m or diamond shield removal - easier & faster

I thought I would post a discovery I made that may help others with the miserable film removal process from the front of their motor home.
I found a better way to remove the stubborn film off my Winnebago class A.
After spending a laborious 2 hours with plastic razor blades to remove a 5 inch x 3 foot section on the front of my motor home on a 90 degree day in the sun (the surface was hot) as recommended by other posts here, I did a little research on one of my car forums and found a great tip. Some were recommending a pinstripe/decal removal eraser for plastic film. So I ordered these erasers from amazon to try:

Amazon.com: AES Industries 4" Smart Eraser Pad for Pinstripe & Adhesive Removal w/ Free Drill Adaptor Included [6 Pack] Made In USA: Automotive

Just tried it And wow what a difference. I used it on a cloudy 60 degree day, no heat gun or hair dryer, just the eraser wheel on my drill. What before took me 2 hours took less then 20 minutes with the eraser. The film just peeled off, with less effort, was a little gooey, but I scraped the build up off with a plastic razor blade and then used goof off with the razor blade to take off the residual glue. No damage at all to the paint. I may try the 3m glue removal product to see if the glue comes off easier though. I will continue on as I have a lot to remove, but now I hope to get it all off in a matter of hours and not days like I was originally planning. Hope this helps some one else frustrated with this miserable project. Also 3M makes an eraser wheel as well and can be found on amazon, but is much more expensive.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #2

Sooooo, how long was the Diamond Shield on the coach leading you to remove it?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum🎥

DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #3

It's a 10 year old Ultimate Freedom and is badly cracked and checked.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #4

Oh, got it. Was curious cause I just spent $1400 putting it on my 2014 Fleetwood. Kind of wondered how long it will last.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum🎥
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #5

We have Diamond Shield on our 2004 motorhome and it's in perfect condition.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #6

Cover Diamond Shield in storage?

Has anyone considered covering the Diamond Shield with a mesh screen - like is used for front windshields - whenever the coach is stored or parked at a camp site for an extended period? It would seem that the sun's UV rays would be a primary factor in protective shield cracking, and it works for coach tires.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We have Diamond Shield on our 2004 motorhome and it's in perfect condition.
Ditto
Rich
Old 09-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #8

Not necessarily in this thread, but when a problem arises with Diamond Shield, I always look at where the person is from and the majority of time it's the eastern/southern humid states. Just guessing it's not a good thing in humidity. Anyone notice this?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Not necessarily in this thread, but when a problem arises with Diamond Shield, I always look at where the person is from and the majority of time it's the eastern/southern humid states. Just guessing it's not a good thing in humidity. Anyone notice this?
Don't doubt you at all but, you'd think it would be just the opposite Who knows. Everything else cracks and splits here but not much rust or window fogging It's a "dry heat" LOL. Serbay, thanks for the tip though.
Rich
Old 09-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Well then I fit your observation. I purchased my motor home about a month ago and it came from the central east coast of Florida where it spent most of its life.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
Oh, got it. Was curious cause I just spent $1400 putting it on my 2014 Fleetwood. Kind of wondered how long it will last.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum��
Mine is still in good shape also,clean with soft cloth only and keep it waxed (no yellow wax). I saw a MH that the guy used a scotch brite pad to clean the bugs bad bad mistake.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #12

Ordered our 2014 Phaeton without the Diamond Shield, Custom Bra cost $600 and the front will look like new in 15 years.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Keep it clean behind the bra. Any dirt between it and the paint will scratch your clear coat.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #14

I'll have to try the erasers. I use 3M adhesive remover, squirt a little on, let it sit and it peels of with a putty knife, sometimes need a razor blade. The problem with 3M adhesive remover is that its viscosity is like water so it runs down flat surfaces quick. I started using it on the goopy crap that they use on new car window tags and it takes it right off.

Tags
removal