Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #1

3M removal

Anyone who can share their experience with the removal of the 3M shield on the front of their coach will be appreciated. I'm a new member. Please advise if I am on the wrong forum. Neal

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!!

I have not removed ours yet, will probably do so next year.

Do a search on 3M, and some threads will come up to review.

Two tips that I recall reading:

1) Heat gun, doing just small sections at a time, starting at an edge/corner and working your way over the front end. Believe they used a plastic putty knife where needed to help.

2) I recall one thread where someone used a solvent and soaked an area first, let it sit in, perhaps going over it a few times with say a wet soaked cloth with the solvent? (I'm pretty bad on the memory of the specifics, like what kind of solvent they used. Hope search shows some results on this.)

The last tip, call 3M and ask for Tech Support, and see if they have recommendations.

Be prepared for possible small section of paint being removed as the 3M comes off. Does not happen to everyone, probably more related to how long it is has been on, and the actual condition of the 3M.

Ours was pretty abused when we bought our coached used. I think someone went over it with a buffer and rubbing compound, not knowing that this was very damaging. It removed the harder outside layer, making ours harder to keep clean. I have gound that plastic cleaner, and straight up and down vertical cleaning followed by waxing, seemed to help both on how our 3M looked, and also made removing of bugs at the end of each day a little easier.

Best of luck on yours, and enjoy your coach,
Smitty

Old 03-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Alders View Post
Anyone who can share their experience with the removal of the 3M shield on the front of their coach will be appreciated. I'm a new member. Please advise if I am on the wrong forum. Neal
Here is a thread that I started on the 3-M removal project on my Coach. This is a lot of time consuming work but it works and the results are a beautiful finish. Good luck, keep us updated on your progress and post some before pictures and as you go along post the after pictures.

Another 3-M Paint Removal Project
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Here is a thread that I started on the 3-M removal project on my Coach. This is a lot of time consuming work but it works and the results are a beautiful finish. Good luck, keep us updated on your progress and post some before pictures and as you go along post the after pictures.

Another 3-M Paint Removal Project
Don - New thread since I last researched this. Nice job on the write up, and steamer approach. Thanks!

Smitty
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Guys,
I just noticed this thread and I thought I would share my experience......
I own a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X and I hated how my Diamond Shield looked so......
I had noticed threads on steaming it off, and using a heat gun. I am hear to tell you that I pulled mine off using nothing but my hands! I tried the steamer. I tried the heat gun. All that this does is reactivate the glue on the clear bra!!! Pick-up a corner and very slowly peel it back. The reason for going slowly is that the slower you go the more the glue will come off with the clear bra.
When I got it all off...(less than an hour to remove) I used 3M adhesive remover to get the last bit of glue off!
Here is the before and after.....the entire job was 1.5 hours and it is PERFECT!!!!
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1759.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	57399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1756.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	57400  

Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig N Deb View Post
Hi Guys,
I just noticed this thread and I thought I would share my experience......
I own a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X and I hated how my Diamond Shield looked so......
I had noticed threads on steaming it off, and using a heat gun. I am hear to tell you that I pulled mine off using nothing but my hands! I tried the steamer. I tried the heat gun. All that this does is reactivate the glue on the clear bra!!! Pick-up a corner and very slowly peel it back. The reason for going slowly is that the slower you go the more the glue will come off with the clear bra.
When I got it all off...(less than an hour to remove) I used 3M adhesive remover to get the last bit of glue off!
Here is the before and after.....the entire job was 1.5 hours and it is PERFECT!!!!
Craig
Glad yours worked out like that. But unfortunately it will not just peel off on most applications. You were lucky. This stuff fails in different ways. I have seen the surface looked cracked like mosaic tile to smooth with the brown fungus look like mine was. Some will peel off some will not. It just depneds on how the surface material has deteriorated over the years and conditions.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

I agree with "Adonh" when he said that "Craig N Deb" did not encounter the typical issues removing their Clear Bra off their coach. I think they were very very lucky! I'm thinking that their bra was in the very early stages of cracking and crazing. I experienced a nightmare trying to remove mine. Maybe because my coach spent a lot of time in sunlight and high humidity areas, I dunno, but my Clear Bra started cracking and crazing in about 4 years. Then came the mold in the tiny cracks. My bra was left on way too long, because I tried to get it off, starting about 5 years after it was installed (installed 2004) when it started cracking. Labor intensive! So over the years I would try working on it a little bit at a time. Very frustrating. But ... Thanks Diplomat Dan! Dan's advice, from a previous older post on irv2.com of "Problems with 3m bra." Finally ended my Clear Bra Removal Nightmare, by using a 3000psi Water Pressure Washer. Viewable video at:

Tags
removal