Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

3M tinting on Class A motorhome

Has anyone tried to apply 3M UV protection on the window beside the driver on a Class A motorhome?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't know about the actual 3M materials you'll be using, but I read somewhere on these forums that you have to be careful of how reflective any tinting is when driving at night. Apparently, they can be so reflective that any light source from the inside - like dash lights or camera monitors - can make it nearly impossible to see out of your window to check a blind spot or see your mirror.

I've never personally experienced this, but it makes total sense when you think about it. I'd test it before installing it permanently.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #3

i tinted mine but not 3m. i am cheap just used generic brand from auto parts store, about $20 in total.
no problem for reflection, and no impact to rearview mirrors.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

I did all of our windows except the lower drivers side slider and the passenger door with a "black out" tint (98%). The tint was a residential tint from Gila, purchased from Amazon. From the outside the windows are pretty much blacked out. During the day we can see out. At night you can see inside the coach if there are lights on.

We haven't noticed any issues with reflections, but we don't drive much at night.

The residential film was very easy to work with. It is a wet application and Gila sells an application kit with the soap solution and tools for 6 or 7 bucks.

I tinted the passenger side door window with an auto tint that is legal in AZ. It knocks down sun glare, but looks really crappy and it was a pain to install. Another issue with auto type tints is the film comes in smaller sizes - not suitable for class A size windows.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by opal View Post
Has anyone tried to apply 3M UV protection on the window beside the driver on a Class A motorhome?
opal
I've read that after market window tint film applied to the interior side of double pane glass can result in seal damage.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Hello O, what are you trying to accomplish by installing the film? UV film will eliminate 99% of the UV rays but that only accounts for about 40% of the damaging fading issues of solar energy. It does nothing to reduce glare and will minimally reduce the total solar energy (TSER). You will still feel the heat from the sun on your skin the cockpit will still heat up and you will be no more comfortable than you are now. The good news is that it won't bother dual pane windows if you have them. If you are looking to reduce TSER and be more comfortable call a local window film dealer that installs residential window film. They can hook you up with a film that will really help you and is approved for dual pane glass although you will still have to conform to your state's automotive tint law limits.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bespos View Post
The good news is that it won't bother dual pane windows if you have them.
Bespos
Are you sure about that?
I was told not to apply tint film to either the inside or the outside surface of my dual pane , (aka: insulated glass), RV windows.

However that info came from a "glass expert".... and we all know that many so called "experts" are not really experts at all.... (aka: don't know what they are talking about).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

3M tinting on Class A motorhome

Yep....very sure. As long as the absorbance of the film is less the 50% you should be fine. In fact, residential films will come with a warranty against dual pane seal failure for a period up to 2 years give or take. So you'd be covered even in the event of a seal failure of an IG unit. So to recap, call a residential film installer and get all of the facts about the manufacturer. Window film is a great way to cool the cockpit and be comfortable as long as you keep it legal for your state. You'll be fine.

Tags
class a, motorhome