Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Nope...if I want to go, I'm going. Don't want to be on my death bed saying..."sure wish we'd have taken that trip on 2011...but fuel was a bit high."
You bet, the clock keeps ticking.
Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If one thinks it's easy to break our dependence on oil purchased from countries that are hostile to the U.S., HERE is an example of the NIMBY (not in my back yard) problem in trying to move oil from Western Canada to the refineries on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If one thinks it's easy to break our dependence on oil purchased from countries that are hostile to the U.S., HERE is an example of the NIMBY (not in my back yard) problem in trying to move oil from Western Canada to the refineries on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Rusty
I suppose if you look at it from the conservationists and land owners point of view, it's "yeah we want cheap oil but we're not willing to give up anything for it". It's this kind of thinking that will keep us all dependent on foreign oil and we will pay whatever prices their dictators demand. But don't forget the corporate interests that are based overseas need their obscene profits also.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The price won't affect our trip plans.

I'm 66. Might be dead tomorrow, who knows. So as long as I have the dough we're gonna go.
We are only 54 but could get hit by a truck or meteor or nuclear strike any day so same thing. As long as we have the dough, we are also going. If it gets to be too much we will store it somewhere closer to where we would like to winter and start from there.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We plan to take our Motorhome from Neb. to Calif. this Summer to see all the kids, Grandkids, and new Great Grandchild. The trip will cost an extra 200.00 in gas from last year. Would I spend 200.00 to see my kids? YOU BET. Soon I will be too old to enjoy it. Such is life.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2012 is an election year. Want to place bets that gas prices retreat by then?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #35

We are taking our Granddaughter to Disney World in June. We made reservations before the gas hike and we will go even if gas his six dollars a gallon. She's 13 and there won't be much time left for such events.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Baraff Is right !!! The price of gas will come back down in 2012 !!! Go Figure !!!
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
What's surprising me is the cost of month long lot rentals...I'm getting quotes in the $1,500 - $2,300 range for monthly pad rentals
You must be looking at some ritzy resort type places!! We have never paid over $650 per month, and normally are in the $350 - $500 range.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #38

$ 5.30 per gallon here..( near Toronto). and just a bit cheaper for diesel... still get stuck in traffic every day..... we will still do the big trips but will probably cut down on the weekend trips.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
My guess back down to around 3.50-3.75 around Feb. I don't look for it to return to where is was this time last year, but may stop short of 80% return. Isn't that the way it goes, up a dollar, down .75?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
$ 5.30 per gallon here..( near Toronto). and just a bit cheaper for diesel... still get stuck in traffic every day..... we will still do the big trips but will probably cut down on the weekend trips.
Go figure. Diesel is much higher in the States. How can this be? Taxes maybe?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #41
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
An interesting thread, and most of the responses are something along the lines of "life's too short", so I'll soldier on as planned. The reality is, however, that many simply will not be able to afford to do so, best intentions not withstanding.

As example; one of our most favorite trips is from our home in WI to Disney World. Each dollar increase in fuel cost adds roughly $350 to the cost of the trip, not withstanding what we paid for our rig. Assuming a $4.35 per gallon price for diesel today, we are at about the break even point, take the RV or fly down. As that fuel price goes up the scales are tipped in favor of some alternative to the RV trip.

Families that may have been contemplating the purchase of their first RV certainly have to consider the cost of owning and operating it. In years past fuel was not a factor in our trip planning, now it's the number one expense.

There are a lot of shorter trips we've been contemplating but when even a 500 mile round trip will cost over $300 for fuel alone, those will be shelved to preserve the limited resources for our 'big' annual vacation trip later in the year. There are campground owners, restaurants and tourist attractions that will lose revenue (and jobs) because of our caution. We're one of tens of thousands of families that will make the same decision.

As committed as we are to preserving our preferred lifestyle, the fact is that there is a point where everyone of us will have to change or cancel plans in the face of rising fuel prices (which compounds by increasing costs in areas of the budget we can't skimp on, such as food, heat and shelter). It's just higher for some than others.

We are a carbon fuel based economy, and realistically will remain so for the lifetime of anyone old enough to read this. Our energy policies need to radically change to reflect that reality.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
We will travel less miles, but still planning a pretty good summer travel schedule. We're not taking as much stuff, the kayak will not go on top of the toad and the bike rack will not go on the back. We're cutting down on wind resistance and weight. We also plan to cut back on camping fees by boondocking some and staying in discount camping spots when traveling. We don't like parking lots much but there are inexpensive city and county parks, Passport America, and state and Federal lands. We'll save this to be able to put what we need in the fuel tank