Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #15

Roger and Mary, I still don’t understand the statement, “since rear weights are the same no need to do the calculation”.
Are you saying that it is not possible to have more weight on one side than the other?
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Unless you work at NASA or a nuke plant with calibrated test equipment traceable to the National Bureau of Standards, your 'correct' is just a WAG.

Just for the record, NASA 'orbiter' did a face plant into Mars. The list of epic NASA failures would lead lone to question if you want them inflating your tires.

I got new tires on my last rig and had the truck tire center inflate the tires to the 'correct' pressure. A short later I had some work done at the big RV center. When I checked the tires they had lowered the rear tire pressure to 80 psig.

So yes you can match the weight of the load with the carrying capacity of the tires by reducing the safety margin. Good luck.
Not sure what NASA has to do with inflating tires on a motorhome. Also not sure why anyone would let any tire store determine what pressure to inflate your tires to. My method is to know what each position weighs and I determine what pressure to use referencing the load inflation tables. As long as they are inflated to the minimum recommended pressure for the load I'm good to go. The tire engineers have determined the safe pressures. Adding more does not make them any safer, but just eliminates the need to add air when the morning OAT is lower. Extra pressure also causes uneven tire wear. Ask me how I know. My method has worked well over the last three coaches and 150,000 miles traveled without any tire problems. I plan to continue the same.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've done a 4 corner and axle weights. The 4 corner after an axle weight was not necessary. Wasted $40.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I've done a 4 corner and axle weights. The 4 corner after an axle weight was not necessary. Wasted $40.
Your four corner weights proved that your coach is well balanced, so it wasn't a wasted $40. Others including myself found one or more positions were heavier than what the tire was rated for, thus avoiding a premature failure. A 4 corner weigh is well worth the cost if not for peace of mind, to correct a problem.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote