Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #127

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bet we would not get 125 posts in the summer. Another thought, if this one bores you just go to the one on aux brakes in the toad. OH, I missed the one on Word Association Games.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
I think the old saying about picking the fly s$&t out of the pepper applies here. I have to laugh at some of posts while others are very informative. I think I've gained some useful knowledge here.
Having PM'd the OP, I'm pretty sure he is able to sort out through all the chaff in this post. In his responses, it sounds like he knows what to look for and what to do to correct any area that needs it.

I, too, find it hard to believe the number of responses. In mine, I have tried to relate what I did along with the help and recommendation of the manufacturer of my chassis. Some on here are not in agreement, but that is their choice. I can only attest to what worked for my coach. I am also on a learning curve. I am amazed at the number of owners of motorhomes on the road that have never done a 4 or 6 position weigh. I have heard of units from "W", "F", and "T" that are almost overloaded on an axle before any fuel, water, passengers and stuff is added. Some have run for years being overloaded and didn't know it. Maybe none of that matters, because I don't hear of problems related to any of it. I've always been "anal" about correcting any weight balance and tire pressure monitoring on all of my vehicles. Probably doesn't make any sense to some, but that's just me. I get a certain sense of well being traveling down the road controlling 50,000#s knowing I've made it as safe and reliable as it can be. But, then again, that's just me.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #129

<<< I get a certain sense of well being traveling down the road controlling 50,000#s knowing I've made it as safe and reliable as it can be. But, then again, that's just me. >>>

Nope, that's not just you. I believe there are a lot of guys, many/most who are mechanical types at heart (maybe a little gasoline/diesel running in their blood?), who gain a great deal of satisfaction knowing that coach is as right as they can make it prior to taking it out on the road. This is not just a common sense approach to safety, it's also regarding potential for breakdowns, as well as having an eye on enhanced longevity? I don't know about others, but I've got the time to do it, the willingness, the place, and the tools. When I see something that draws my attention, I have a curiosity that will bug me until I know I should ignore it, or know it needs attention?

So how far off topic is that? -Al
Old 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #130

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Wow, you really are a fountain of information aren't you? You actually believe what you just wrote? You visit forums like this one because you already know everything about topics you visit/are being discussed? You don't visit to learn something new on occasion? Or share something you know with somebody struggling for a basic comprehension?

MANY of us are quite capable of picking up enough information through an INTELLIGENT conversation, one that "supports a thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience" (see the top of the page) to effectively trouble shoot or work on many problems encountered in systems we may not have a basic understanding of going into it? If nothing else, it may develop a level of understanding that might help prevent being ripped off if we decide to get the repair work done?

Bashing somebody trying to develop knowledge is counter productive. All that will lead to is people afraid to write and ask questions for fear they'll be stomped on by some wannabe pro. Enough of that, and you have a failing forum. Not exactly in the best interest of all involved.

The same goes for those expressing ideas/concepts we might not agree with?

I'm sorry. I see stuff like this happen and it irritates the heck out of me - this time to the point I had to say something. -Al
After a couple weeks or reading through different forums and different subjects and trying to learn as much as I can based on the information being exchanged I wanted to reach out for the first time and to say "thank you" for what you wrote. I think you articulated a response worthy of being posted on every forum. I love the wealth of knowledge available but I'm amazed at the underlying attitude and tone from the exchanges in these discussions. Your statement renewed my faith that there really are good experienced RV'ers out there wanting to help. Thanks
Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #131

Fleetwood Owners Club
Beaver; so where are you on corner weights? Hick good or bad guy? Do you have a RV? Are you cold in Wisconsin?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #132

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Targaboat - I live in Oregon and it is getting colder here but it's been a dryer winter so far. I'm not a full timer by any stretch so gaining the experience of other owners that are is huge for me. This is my third Class A, first Diesel Pusher, and first Tag. I purchased a new 2013 TOUR 42 GD in March of 2013.

Regarding corner weighing I honestly just learned about it and how important it is through irv2 which is a great example of why I joined - so thank you everyone on this thread. I don't know Hicks but I really connected to Hick's response and agreed with his statement as I was reading through this thread. I've spent the past two weeks devouring forums and threads (read the whole owners forum thread on 2013 TOUR owners) on everything from winter driving, corner weighing, aqua hot systems, and just general issues associated with the Tour. The added drama and attitude that gets thrown into these threads is not what i expected though - I feel that getting my RV corner weighed and the tires properly adjusted is my new top priority.

Prineville Reservoir State Park and my new Tour.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #133

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverlake View Post
Targaboat - I live in Oregon and it is getting colder here but it's been a dryer winter so far. I'm not a full timer by any stretch so gaining the experience of other owners that are is huge for me. This is my third Class A, first Diesel Pusher, and first Tag. I purchased a new 2013 TOUR 42 GD in March of 2013.

Regarding corner weighing I honestly just learned about it and how important it is through irv2 which is a great example of why I joined - so thank you everyone on this thread. I don't know Hicks but I really connected to Hick's response and agreed with his statement as I was reading through this thread. I've spent the past two weeks devouring forums and threads (read the whole owners forum thread on 2013 TOUR owners) on everything from winter driving, corner weighing, aqua hot systems, and just general issues associated with the Tour. The added drama and attitude that gets thrown into these threads is not what i expected though - I feel that getting my RV corner weighed and the tires properly adjusted is my new top priority.

Prineville Reservoir State Park and my new Tour.
I think the drama and attitude is part and parcel of any open forum. As far as irv2 goes I don't think you can do any better at gleaning valuable info.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #134

Fleetwood Owners Club
The thing you should realize that the backgrounds of the contributors are very diverse. One gets to know the contributors with time for many are repeat contributors. For example you have in the last few posts a manager of a RV service facility and an product development or engineering manager whose career involved the theoretical aspects of vehicles. One's income depended on keeping the shop busy and the other was occupied in keeping new designs flowing in the company. As a result you are going to have differences in their approach to maintenance. And being people they are going to take many of the other persons opinions personally. This is life.

You as a consumer must sort through this information and take what applies to your situation. This thread provided information on the nature of the RV vehicle chassis along with how the industry approaches their maintenance. It is quite unique in this respect. Its content if cleaned up and organized would make an excellent chapter in an article on RV vehicles.

With this I would like to leave you with one thought, how many truck maintenance facilities worry about corner weights? Why should this be a concern for an RV which is driven about 10% of the miles?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #135

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
With this I would like to leave you with one thought, how many truck maintenance facilities worry about corner weights? Why should this be a concern for an RV which is driven about 10% of the miles?
A truck is usually designed and constructed 'balanced' as the side-to-side weights. Cargo is put on by a hopefully experienced worker who loads the truck properly. Trucks, being designed to carry large payloads, are less sensitive to a minor imbalance and is less of an issue for an experienced driver.
In an RV, some owners have a bigger wallet than brain and take on the responsibility of driving a +30,000 lb vehicle like they're driving their BMW. I saw the same attitude in boating. In a boat, it's obvious to almost anyone observant when it's loaded out of balance. In an RV, it's harder to determine. This lack of concern or understanding of the dynamics of loading, ride height, tire pressures, etc. is what this forum helps educate owners about. Belittling, questioning, or condemning has no place here.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A truck is usually designed and constructed 'balanced' as the side-to-side weights. Cargo is put on by a hopefully experienced worker who loads the truck properly. Trucks, being designed to carry large payloads, are less sensitive to a minor imbalance and is less of an issue for an experienced driver. In an RV, some owners have a bigger wallet than brain and take on the responsibility of driving a +30,000 lb vehicle like they're driving their BMW. I saw the same attitude in boating. In a boat, it's obvious to almost anyone observant when it's loaded out of balance. In an RV, it's harder to determine. This lack of concern or understanding of the dynamics of loading, ride height, tire pressures, etc. is what this forum helps educate owners about. Belittling, questioning, or condemning has no place here.
Well thought out post.

Also the only tires a trucker has that are not in a dual configuration are the steer tires that are typically loaded to a lower % of their max than RV steer tires.

Some of us may give more thought than necessary to this topic but unfortunately many RVers are blissfully unaware of the issue completely.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #137

Fleetwood Owners Club
Previous quote:

"In an RV, some owners have a bigger wallet than brain and take on the responsibility of driving a +30,000 lb vehicle like they're driving their BMW. I saw the same attitude in boating. In a boat, it's obvious to almost anyone observant when it's loaded out of balance. In an RV, it's harder to determine. This lack of concern or understanding of the dynamics of loading, ride height, tire pressures, etc. is what this forum helps educate owners about. Belittling, questioning, or condemning has no place here."

I have never associated a difference of opinion as "belittling". There is certainly no harm in having the corner weights equal. However, my opinion is that as long as the load ratings of the tires or axles are not violated then any farther effort is not necessary and a waste of time and money. Also since the frame of the RV is relatively light for a vehicle that heavy the work to balance the loads may be lost with time from the frame adjusting or deflecting in response to other parameters. The only event which can change my opinion is a report by someone who has balanced the corner loads and then reported back 10,000 miles later that the weighs are still balanced. Anyone know of such a report?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Previous quote:

"In an RV, some owners have a bigger wallet than brain and take on the responsibility of driving a +30,000 lb vehicle like they're driving their BMW. I saw the same attitude in boating. In a boat, it's obvious to almost anyone observant when it's loaded out of balance. In an RV, it's harder to determine. This lack of concern or understanding of the dynamics of loading, ride height, tire pressures, etc. is what this forum helps educate owners about. Belittling, questioning, or condemning has no place here."

I have never associated a difference of opinion as "belittling". There is certainly no harm in having the corner weights equal. However, my opinion is that as long as the load ratings of the tires or axles are not violated then any farther effort is not necessary and a waste of time and money. Also since the frame of the RV is relatively light for a vehicle that heavy the work to balance the loads may be lost with time from the frame adjusting or deflecting in response to other parameters. The only event which can change my opinion is a report by someone who has balanced the corner loads and then reported back 10,000 miles later that the weighs are still balanced. Anyone know of such a report?
On the bold - Really, so who said this?

<<< If you are having to discuss the situation on the Forum, you need to take your unit to a service center for you really do not have the knowledge to do your own work.>>>

That's not "belittling"?

And this?
<<<One gets to know the contributors with time for many are repeat contributors. For example you have in the last few posts a manager of a RV service facility and an product development or engineering manager whose career involved the theoretical aspects of vehicles. One's income depended on keeping the shop busy and the other was occupied in keeping new designs flowing in the company.>>>

And who is hinting that any opinion I might have is angled toward keeping a shop busy? I haven't been in that position for 25 years! Why in the world would I care enough about what's going on there today? Did I hint elsewhere on this forum that I have a shop to keep busy - or did you just pull that out of your.......imagination? I find that even the hint of me coming from that direction incredulous, as 99.99% of my input will generally be trying to help people AVOID going to a shop!

And Crasher, somebody else with an obvious understanding of the subject at hand, yet you try to undermine his opinion as well?

You can't go 2 paragraphs without insulting somebody. You probably think that's funny? Others might find it condescending...
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #139

"... Belittling, questioning, or condemning has no place here."

Wow! Questioning is now not allowed??? And there was no belittling or condeming. He merely asked why some obsess on things that are irrelevant to professionals. Lets step down a couple of rungs....
Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #140

Fleetwood Owners Club
AH, I guess we will never be an item!! I bet you had a boss who wanted his shop to make a profit.

Tags
weight