Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Besides twisting the frame by have mismatched ride heights on the corners, you will running down the road tilted. You probably will now need a new wheel alignment to adjust to the tilt.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #72

You are assuming they aren't mismatched now? No broken/disconnected/misadjusted linkage or failed/failing valves or bags? Tilted, another assumption? You seem convinced there's nothing wrong with this coach as is? Did I miss something earlier?

As mentioned previously, if his coach is layed out similar to mine (yes, another assumption), it's very difficult to imagine how you could be that far off (1100lbs?). The gen set and fuel tank are centered, the water tank is centered, leaving the propane tank on the left, and the house battery bank on the right? I have a large slide on the left as well, which is why I figure mine is a little heavy on the left, but that's only 200lbs.? -Al

Old 12-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
NO, I am not assuming anything for I really do not know anything about the OPs coach which has frustrated me from the beginning. If I am assuming anything, it is because I can not believe anyone would run around with a coach which is not level. Your coach has a good reason to have different weights on the front since it has two air valves. Additionally, I am frustrated by all of the solutions which are available by people who also do not know the details which the OP has under his coach. However, your post sure did cover most of the assumptions which are floating around.

My message is to have a level coach, to shift weights as much a possible to equalize individual tire weights, not violate tire pressure and axle load specs, and live with what you have left.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Targaboat, I thought I stated what the setup in my coach was.

What other info can I offer?
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jimbo, I am sorry if I missed that. In the beginning I was thinking about diagnosing your weight differences for there is always a reason for everything. Now I am pretty much settled on wanting everything to be straight and level and not worrying about weight differences as long as the tires are not seriously challenged. This thread has gone long enough so I think it best if you were to PM me if you think I can help with anything.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #76

American Coach Owners Club
Why do these Tire pressure threads get sooo Out of hand !
Just look at your recommended tire pressure chart posted somewhere in your MH and go down the road ! Weighing this and Weighing that and all this time consumed makes no sense to me, At all !
I run 105lbs in the front and 110lb in the rear and the last set of tires had 88,000 on them when I installed new one's.

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #77

My manual says the weight of one side of the axle should not exceed the other side by more than 5%. If this happens the weight should be redistributed.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Why do these Tire pressure threads get sooo Out of hand !
Just look at your recommended tire pressure chart posted somewhere in your MH and go down the road ! Weighing this and Weighing that and all this time consumed makes no sense to me, At all !
I run 105lbs in the front and 110lb in the rear and the last set of tires had 88,000 on them when I installed new one's.

Actually the tire pressure issue is just a side note. Not sure why anyone is even mentioning or bringing that up anymore? That's a pretty simple issue, agreed.

The real concern here is the loading? The side to side differences as noted in the original post? That's a concern from where I'm sitting. Others either didn't read the whole string, or are oblivious to the issue?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #79

Boy this has a lot of posts...

First the op is asking about the difference and if it okay.

My suggestion is until one knows the correct expected weight we do not know.

If the design difference is 200 pounds and it left the factory that way and it now is 1000 pounds then something is wrong.

If everything is taken out and still high then spring rate is off, if okay then loading.

So let the op confirm ride height and let's see where it goes.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Besides twisting the frame by have mismatched ride heights on the corners, you will running down the road tilted. You probably will now need a new wheel alignment to adjust to the tilt.
This is not true as long as you stay within the range allowed by the manufacturer. One of the reasons for a 1/4" tolerance higher or lower than the recommended ride height is to be able to adjust the weight carried on each corner. When I had 1200# more on the right steer tire than the left, I could not see any difference. When the left rear ride height was lowered, but still in specs, I still couldn't see any difference, but the steer tires were within 150# of each other.

Just to be clear, my MH has four ride height valves. I think the three valve system should respond the same, but I don't know for sure.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
This is not true as long as you stay within the range allowed by the manufacturer. One of the reasons for a 1/4" tolerance higher or lower than the recommended ride height is to be able to adjust the weight carried on each corner. When I had 1200# more on the right steer tire than the left, I could not see any difference. When the left rear ride height was lowered, but still in specs, I still couldn't see any difference, but the steer tires were within 150# of each other. Just to be clear, my MH has four ride height valves. I think the three valve system should respond the same, but I don't know for sure.
Do you have a Powerglide chassis or a Freightliner chassis? I had no idea that any chassis used 4 ride height valves.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #82

We have the Powerglide chassis.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Ok had time this morning before all the holiday stuff starts to check ride height.

Rear was on 9 3/4, so that's ok.

wheel well heights were equal L&R

----

Front which there are two not one ride height adjusters, was off.

It should be 10" it was a little over 9"

So I'll need to fix those two soon.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
That may help your weight difference in front.

Tags
weight