Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

4 T-105 Placement

OK, it is me again. Slowing purchasing things to run a 400 watt solar array. Just got 4 T-104's I am looking at the weight (think 62lb x 4 = 248lb). I currently have a 2003 Winnebego Brave. Has 2 DC-24 under the stairs. Have not checked the clearance because Trojans are taller but I doubt I have that problem. Now. I can probably put two there, and I have a ton of space. Wither Put the other 2, 3 feet away in a compartment that can accommodate 4 of them. Put I am concerned about the total weight and if adding wood to cover the bottom of the compartment if it would hold, does not seem to be anything other than the fiberglass or whatever the beast is made of there. Still trying to figure this out, so I am throwing a bone out there because you guys are such a great help.

I still got to figure out how to build a box with proper ventilation (thought about some walmart coolers) But If I lay a board that covered the entire compartment which is approx 4 feet x 2 feet, I think it will hold up. I plan on putting my very expensive Samlex Inverter, charge controller, etc. Also If it is 3 feet away I should get some very large battery cables. Suggestions comments?
bproulx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two pairs of T105's. One original location pair under the stairs , the other pair added in a storage compartment on the other side of the coach. Inverter and solar connected to the added pair. Physically there is a piece of plywood added covering the bottom of the storage compartment. Each battery sits in a heavy plastic battery tray. Electrically there is heavy wire interconnecting the two pairs of batteries - not sure of the wire size. Works fine.

Only problem I have encountered is how to add a battery monitoring device that uses a shunt, such as a Trimetric meter. All loads and inputs are not where they can be readily wired through the shunt. But this is not a big deal to me.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My batteries are also under the step and if I ever change to a residential frige, I will make a bracket and add 2 more up front, behind the grill. I actually have plenty of room up there and its well ventilated.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have two pairs of T105's. One original location pair under the stairs , the other pair added in a storage compartment on the other side of the coach. Inverter and solar connected to the added pair. Physically there is a piece of plywood added covering the bottom of the storage compartment. Each battery sits in a heavy plastic battery tray. Electrically there is heavy wire interconnecting the two pairs of batteries - not sure of the wire size. Works fine.
Only problem I have encountered is how to add a battery monitoring device that uses a shunt, such as a Trimetric meter. All loads and inputs are not where they can be readily wired through the shunt. But this is not a big deal to me.
Vince, I'm glad to hear your battery setup is working fine. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Putting two batteries in a compartment under the slide opposite the two under the step. I would assume the connecting cables are 2/0 or 4/0. I'm thinking about building a plywood sealed box and lining it with fiberglass. Then vent the box through the steel floor.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Vince, I'm glad to hear your battery setup is working fine. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Putting two batteries in a compartment under the slide opposite the two under the step. I would assume the connecting cables are 2/0 or 4/0. I'm thinking about building a plywood sealed box and lining it with fiberglass. Then vent the box through the steel floor.

Chuck
If this compartment has a sidewall that is open to air/space (sounded like it was furthest forward compartment), you might look into venting it out the side.

A floor penetration is a good way for moisture thrown up from the roadway to get into the box, and could become a rust problem over the years. Even if the hose is really 'gooped/sealed/glued' in well, road vibrations and aging seal, can spring a leak..

Good luck on your project!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #6

Lot's of folks have put 4 coach batteries (total of 5) under the steps in Winnebagos. Myself included.

Old thread with pictures and links

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Consider going with AGM batteries, zero maintenance, zero
corrosive outgassing in compartment, charge faster, can be
mounted in any position. JMHO
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
If this compartment has a sidewall that is open to air/space (sounded like it was furthest forward compartment), you might look into venting it out the side.

A floor penetration is a good way for moisture thrown up from the roadway to get into the box, and could become a rust problem over the years. Even if the hose is really 'gooped/sealed/glued' in well, road vibrations and aging seal, can spring a leak..

Good luck on your project!!
Smitty
Thanks Smitty,
Yes, through the inner wall would be better. There is plenty of space there also.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Lot's of folks have put 4 coach batteries (total of 5) under the steps in Winnebagos. Myself included.

Old thread with pictures and links
Thanks Tim,
I seen those pictures when you posted them in the Ford Chassis Forum. Winnebago must have used a larger under step battery box then National did. I could fit four 105 batteries in the box if it wasn't 1-1/2" tall reinforcing rib between the coach batteries and the chassis battery. I could cut the rib out and reinforce the box from underneath. Then just relocate the chassis battery. Will need to give to some thought.

Chuck
Old 10-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #10

I too was able to put 4 Trojan 105 batts under my 97 Itasca Suncruiser step. When placed the four were tight, you could not put a credit card between them. I had to elevate at least one batt up on a 2 by piece of scrap lumber. This gave the power step support arm room to retract into the corner of the filled batt box.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #11

I would have to measure and see if I can get 4 under the stairs I believe Itasca is made by Winnebego. I do like the battery placement on th opposite side of the rv idea as I have another compartment there. I just purchased a dual 6v battery box. I still ma wondering what impact it would have if I still wired the solar and Inverter on the same side as the original coach batteries. and if it would matter.
bproulx12 is offline   Reply With Quote