Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #1

40' diesel pusher mirror alignment

Yesterday as I was entering a rather tight RV dump station I was concentrating on the drivers side clearance to the mirror. Unfortunately I didn't also check the passenger side and I slightly clipped the gate post. The mirror was knocked about 15 degrees out of alignment. Nothing snapped off and the shaft that goes from the mirror head was not broken. I noticed two allen screws holding the shaft to the arm.

The RV dump was probably built 20 or more years ago at the Anacortes Sewage Treatment facility and RVs were much smaller then. I am accustomed to using that RV dump with my previous RV - a 32' fifth wheel pulled by a ford F250 and i was probably still driving like I had the fifth wheel - in fact I have sometimes started to back the MH and have turned the wheel as if I was still backing a trailer but that has never been a problem as I immediately correct the turn to accomodate the motorhome. It's funny how body/muscle memory needs to be retrained!

My thought is to loosen the screws and to push the mirror back into the position it used to be (or close to it by following the installation of the drivers side mirror. The mirrors still adjusts up and down and sideways but it is not close enough to be able to drive. I didn't find any brand name on the mirror but there probably is iinformation in the hundreds of pages of literature that came with the MH. I thought that the 32' Alpenlite had a lot of literature but not nearly as much as the MH.

I do have side view cameras but I really prefer the mirrors.

If anyone has comments or suggestions (even humorous comments, etc) I would appreciate the advise.

Lee

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It very likely is a Velvac mirror, they are a major RV supplier.
RV, Truck and Commercial Vehicle Mirrors, Parts and Components | Velvac
You might look on their site and try to find your mirrors plus an owner's manual.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lee....The two allen screws adjust just the head. If that is all that moved, you can adjust it back to where it was. If the arm moved, it's a different procedure. If you look under the arm, where it attaches to the coach, you'll see a chrome cover about the size of a quarter. Use a sharp instrument and pry it off. Once the cap is off, you'll need a 9/16" socket, a deep well works best or you'll need a short extension. Up inside the hole is a bolt, when loosened, that will allow the arm to move. The joint that the bolt secures, is cone shaped and even when the bolt is loosened, you'll probably need to whack the mirror arm with your palm to break the mirror loose and get it to move. Once it's back to where it needs to be, tighten it up. You don't need to go crazy, just a good snugging up.

When adjusting the arms, I like to tell people to run an imaginary string down the side of the coach (touching the coach) and out past the mirror. The inner edge of the mirror should just touch the string. This puts the mirror out as far as it needs to be .
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

Bob,

thanks for the info. I will get the mirror manual for future reference but the problem is solved for now.

I got a ladder and on closer examination I saw a ball on the end of the shaft holding the mirror to the bracket on the coach. I took an allen wrench and loosened the two set screws and voila, I was able to realign the mirror head to a drivable position. It may require a little tweaking but all is well and the mirror is adjusted by the remote control to give excellant side visibility.

Lee
Old 05-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #5

don,

Thanks for the info. When I made my second post, your post hadn't come up yet.

Lee
Old 05-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of clearances were made for smaller RV's.

Back in 2009 I was driving from East coast of Florida to West so I took Alligator alley. I had to go through a toll booth, I was watching the drivers side mirror getting as close to the toll booth as I could not even thinking of the passenger side mirror. Paid the toll and started to leave and some came running out in front of the RV pointing at the passenger mirror, which was broke off and hanging by wires. I used some bungy cords to hold it up until I got to my destination and contacted Velvac, they overnighted me the base for the mirror.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #7

I guess that Jim and I are not the only ones who have given a passenger side mirror a whack on an unmovavle object. I'm sure happy that there is adjustability in the mirrors and mirror mounts.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #8

We had a similar alignment issue on the drivers side mirror of our Valvec drivers side mirror. It became loose driving on the highway but the set screw is not accessible as our mirror has a camera base mounted around the base of the mirror. There is a small access panel but it does not align with the set screw. I ended up turning the access panel to align with the set screw, tightened and then turned into place. I'm not satisfied as I suspect the set screw will work out again.

Has anyone had the same issue?

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
diesel