Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
I promise, you NEED that third ac in the south !!!

And the 4369 is THE floor plan we would go with if we traded ours...

Come to DFW this weekend, Tadd just sent an email about the RV shows and teased prices...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #44

Of course, you could always just go and get the 43' and surprize your wife. I've always found the "Forgiveness is Easier to Get Than Permission". Even my wife of 55 years says to get the 43'. Maybe if you volunteer to clean the bathrooms she'll go for it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I haven't found my 45' with lifting tag rig to be any harder or more problem to park than the previous 40' DSDP but it does ride and handle better on the road.
The only thing that keeps popping into my head is does the extra 3' of wheelbase make things any harder on tight right hand turns. I imagine it will be a little worse when it's real tight, but other than that, and I guess a bit harder backing into spots, I can't see much difference in driving otherwise.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post

Come to DFW this weekend, Tadd just sent an email about the RV shows and teased prices...
Seconded! The 4037 should have 3! You can't ever have too many A/C units, you can sure have not enough. I hate with A/C in a house or RV they always put "barely enough" HVAC in. Add another $1K for Magne Shades to the equation in keeping cool too.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #47

Quote:

Should I not buy Newmar's claim that their insulation is so superior that they can get by on half the AC of anyone else (ok, I'm exaggerating their claim a bit, but only a bit).

Yea, I saw the email. DFW is a ways off for me (6 hours or so), but it is tempting. I was curious how many models they would have on display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Seconded! The 4037 should have 3! You can't ever have too many A/C units, you can sure have not enough. I hate with A/C in a house or RV they always put "barely enough" HVAC in. Add another $1K for Magne Shades to the equation in keeping cool too.
I definitely plan to get a magne shade. Figured I would get it for the front and two side windows. I also just ordered a couple of their suction cup generics to see how well they stick to a window. Wondering about those vs. getting window awnings on the Ventana.

I've read some people talk about two ACs in a 40' Newmar being no problem even in the south, and others saying it struggles. As my wife and I were talking about, I imagine a lot has to do with heat tolerance. Some people are happy with it being 78* and some want it closer to 68*. Along that spectrum, she wants it closer to 68* than 78*.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
... Wondering about those vs. getting window awnings on the Ventana.

I've read some people talk about two ACs in a 40' Newmar being no problem even in the south, and others saying it struggles. As my wife and I were talking about, I imagine a lot has to do with heat tolerance. Some people are happy with it being 78* and some want it closer to 68*. Along that spectrum, she wants it closer to 68* than 78*.
You'll regret being "cheap" (being direct, sorry) and not getting the awnings. If you're buying this as your forever coach, option it up so you don't have regrets.

For the A/C's once you figure out the glass is the biggest issue, regardless of insulation in ceilings and walls, it is fine. Close the shades and keep the A/C ahead of the game as once you're over heated it's hard to bring the temp back down. Also knowing your thermistor (sensor) locations plays in, i.e. keeping the bedroom door half way closed helps the bedroom temp not trick the thermistor just outside that door from affecting the front zone temps. Again, knowing the coach and the intricacies such as this helps in the game.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #49

Quote:
You'll regret being "cheap" (being direct, sorry) and not getting the awnings. If you're buying this as your forever coach, option it up so you don't have regrets.

For the A/C's once you figure out the glass is the biggest issue, regardless of insulation in ceilings and walls, it is fine. Close the shades and keep the A/C ahead of the game as once you're over heated it's hard to bring the temp back down. Also knowing your thermistor (sensor) locations plays in, i.e. keeping the bedroom door half way closed helps the bedroom temp not trick the thermistor just outside that door from affecting the front zone temps. Again, knowing the coach and the intricacies such as this helps in the game.
I was surprised to see the thermistor located near the half bath so close to the bedroom. I know they need to keep them out of the sun, but it would have been nice if they could find a position a little farther forward.

Something I never looked at was the AC controls (I noticed the sensors). Is it the cheap slide type that lets you set a temp but not see the temp in the coach, or are they digital thermostats? Where are they located?
Old 01-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I was surprised to see the thermistor located near the half bath so close to the bedroom. I know they need to keep them out of the sun, but it would have been nice if they could find a position a little farther forward.

Something I never looked at was the AC controls (I noticed the sensors). Is it the cheap slide type that lets you set a temp but not see the temp in the coach, or are they digital thermostats? Where are they located?
They did this to get it off any external walls to avoid outside air temp and sun influence. I'm not sure where else it could go as there are no other internal walls other than this other than mounting it on a cabinet. Underneath an overhead cabinet would be fine with me personally. I also had a problem with this once in cold temps as I had the furnace in the half bath on which heated the thermistor so zone 1 thought it was heating when it wasn't, it was very cold up front until my ahaa moment. All learning

You can press a button on the t-stat to show indoor temp. I have a separate magnetic/table standing thermometer I use to verify what I'm feeling.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #51

Quote:

P.S. Window awnings are currently on my build sheet for most of the windows. I didn't include them for the bedroom side slide windows (I assume this isn't even possible to add) and also not for the half bath window or window on the escape door (again, not sure it's even possible). So, I think the only one I could possibly add that I don't currently have on my order form is the half bath window.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I keep the shades down on those windows as typically there is someone next door. And as those side windows are on the slide side (if I believe this is what you're talking about) you can't put anything on the outside of those.

As windows are the least insulated element of the coach, any sun blocking you can add is good.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

As I stated in an earlier post, we downsized from a 43 Monaco to a DSDP 4018. My wife wanted this. I would have been fine with any of the 43XX Newmar’s. The fact that I could get a 40 foot DS with a side radiator and a passive-steer tag made the 4018 acceptable. And the Spartan Chassis with disc brakes on all three axles (2017) was a bonus.

All that said, I was worried about only getting two AC’s on the 40. We had three on the Monaco, and frankly, even three had a tough time handling South Texas summer heat. But after driving the new coach in August and September, two of our hottest months, I’ve been relieved to find that the Dutch Star handles the heat. We even run with just the dash air most of the time and it’s very comfortable. I can only attribute this to much better insulation in the Dutch Star.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
As I stated in an earlier post, we downsized from a 43 Monaco to a DSDP 4018. My wife wanted this. I would have been fine with any of the 43XX Newmar’s. The fact that I could get a 40 foot DS with a side radiator and a passive-steer tag made the 4018 acceptable. And the Spartan Chassis with disc brakes on all three axles (2017) was a bonus.

All that said, I was worried about only getting two AC’s on the 40. We had three on the Monaco, and frankly, even three had a tough time handling South Texas summer heat. But after driving the new coach in August and September, two of our hottest months, I’ve been relieved to find that the Dutch Star handles the heat. We even run with just the dash air most of the time and it’s very comfortable. I can only attribute this to much better insulation in the Dutch Star.
I ran the numbers on the DS and can't swing it, but it was tempting.

Good to hear on the AC. As I've said, I've read mixed stuff. Some say two ACs in a Newmar no problem, some state otherwise.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Where in DFW?
Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmobile View Post
Where in DFW?
TARRANT COUNTY RV SHOW