Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #15

Thanks, everyone. We are in love with the Tiffin 37 AP with the center bath access, but the 45 UP is the same plan with a bit more storage and an interesting 1/2 bath in the rear. The desk and little bigger kitchen/fridge is nice, but it is more money as well (45'). Just wondering if price was not a consideration which makes more sense? They both have the 450 Cummings so that would tell me more power and economy with the 37 at 13000 lbs. lighter. The 45 does have the tag axle whereas the 37 (actually 39'+) does not.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 01:19 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
More space is always handy, but only you can figure how much you need to be comfortable. Bigger coach means more weight and more fuel consumption as well as more space, so it's not free.

I don't think you would feel deprived in the 40, but I can't guess how much more you might like the 45. If they are both larger than your previous trailers, you are gonna think you are in heaven no matter which you choose.

FWIW, we spend 5-6 months/year in our 40 footer and never felt cramped.
Not necessarily! The 2009 Magna (over 47,000#'s+ empty) with it's Cummins ISX 650 gets almost the same fuel mileage as our 2002 40' Dutch Star (less than 34,000#'s loaded) with ISC 350, both towing our '05 Odyssey. And it certainly has much better acceleration and hill climbing. Big engine loafing along does that especially in the mountains. We got 7.1 mpg (as per the VMS) going to AZ and almost back. That included Tehachapi, the Grapevine and sitting in very slow moving traffic after an accident.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
On a semi, or dump truck. One tire per side on a coach, or bus .

WOW, I never knew that! I thought the idea of having a tag axle with two wheels on each side was to carry more weight! Are you saying that a coach with a tag axle has the regular axle with two wheels on each side, plus a tag axle with only one wheel on each side, OR does the coach with tag axle only have one wheel on each side of both regular axle and tag axle?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:36 PM   #18

Thought this was going to be a question about what pistol to keep in the RV
Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW, I never knew that! I thought the idea of having a tag axle with two wheels on each side was to carry more weight! Are you saying that a coach with a tag axle has the regular axle with two wheels on each side, plus a tag axle with only one wheel on each side, OR does the coach with tag axle only have one wheel on each side of both regular axle and tag axle?

Are you saying that a coach with a tag axle has the regular axle with two wheels on each side, plus a tag axle with only one wheel on each side - YES

it does add lots more weight carrying capacity.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Even though the semi/dump truck as 4 tire per axle, they are regulated to 30,000 lbs for the pair.

An RV is the same 30,000 lbs, doesn't need the extra 2 tires. The way they carry the loads is what makes the difference.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My first coach was a 38' Holiday Rambler with a 275 CAT. I loved it and after the first week I was able to maneuver it fearlessly in parking lots and gas stations. Now we own a 40' and I was surprised how much more care and turn radius I need for only a couple of extra feet in length. I love the newer coach with the 400 HP engine, but I sure miss my "smaller" coach when I am driving it!

I've never driven a 45', but if the change is at least equal to stepping up from a 38' to a 40', I personally would think hard about buying the extra 5' if a smaller coach had the same floor plan and met all my requirements.

We are full-timing and my older coach just wouldn't have cut it for us. The 40' is fine.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a 40' non tag, now a 42' tag. My 42' tag turns much sharper radius, it is 10 years newer. I love the tag, I was concerned about the loss of storage below, but I haven't found that to be a big deal once I was loaded.

I also love the tag for towing, it is much more stable, especially in cross wind. My 40' had a 350hp, the 42' has a 425hp, but the 350 ran better in the hills.

My experience tells me if you buy the smaller coach you won't know what your missing, so I wouldn't let that stop you. If the money isn't an issue between the two, and the cost of 2 more tires at about $1,200 over 7 years ($171 per year) is going to sway your decision, then definitely go with the smaller one.

The one that is best for you isn't going to be what is best for someone else, only you can decide on your criteria what is best for you. But inquiring to get opinions is a great idea and I wish you luck in your decision whatever it may be.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #23

Length is a matter of preference. A couple we know (full-timers) called this afternoon to inform us they just traded in their 45' Newmar Essex for a 35', 3 slide, Newell. They boondock a lot and the 45' Essex would not fit some of the places they wish to stay.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Are you saying that a coach with a tag axle has the regular axle with two wheels on each side, plus a tag axle with only one wheel on each side - YES

it does add lots more weight carrying capacity.
The tag on our Magna is rated for 14,000#'s, drive axle is 20,000#'s and front is 20,000#'s also. The rig is also rated to tow 15,000#'s, so 69,000#'s GCVWR

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote