Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
Ray and Pops thanks for the CA info. We are hoping to get out way sometime and it's good to have some inside knowledge. So to the OP's question then...even though there are limits on State Parks there are enough private CGs to allow use of a 45?
I see you are from Nashville Indiana. We (DW and I) went to College in Bloomington and we used to ride our bikes out there for a fun trip on a weekend day...of course that was before the invention of the internal combustion engine!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Previous poster said, "I've never heard anyone say, "I wish I had bought a smaller one".

Not everyone wants a 40 or 45 foot motorhome. We like camping in state parks, USFS CGs, COE and similar parks. We like the freedom of a shorter coach. We chose a Monaco Safari Trek and have no regrets. We have the living space of a 38 ft coach because we don't have a bedroom. If you live with the drop down bed, you will love a Trek.

We also like the quality construction and premium amenities of our Trek. Today, it seems if you prefer less than 36 ft, you get pressboard, poor workmanship, and just plain cheap materials and construction. An article in MotorHome magazine raised the question "Do motorhome buyers want amenities or quality?" The overwhelming response, motorhome buyers want quality.

zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
Ray and Pops thanks for the CA info. We are hoping to get out way sometime and it's good to have some inside knowledge. So to the OP's question then...even though there are limits on State Parks there are enough private CGs to allow use of a 45?
Yes. The Good Sam campground guide/catalog or similar is a useful tool when traveling with a large coach.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #18

most of the parks and campgrounds we've been to in 20months and 50k miles is not as much a concern about the overall length for the site, but the manuvering of the coach within the facilities - turns, trees/limbs, etc.
We've seen the longest units most everywhere we've been, and yes, you sometimes wonder how they got to their site. With time and practice, most owners know their skills and their limitations with their coach - some are more adventerous(confident, maybe) than others of us.
Our 35' coach, even with a 4-bike rack, and a vehicle toad, has rarely ever given us pause - thankfully.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
God's country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
I see you are from Nashville Indiana. We (DW and I) went to College in Bloomington and we used to ride our bikes out there for a fun trip on a weekend day...of course that was before the invention of the internal combustion engine!
Yes it's Indiana but we like to think our little area...Nashville, Bloomington and Columbus is pretty special. IU is a great school and we love visitors from there and elsewhere that make it here.

That being said we are always looking for nice little towns like ours elsewhere in the US and hope to find a bunch more!

Thanks for the feedback (we did grow up with cars but had to have "outside plumbing"..... )

Bill
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The wheel base on the Magna with the tag lifted is about the same as the 40' Dutch Star non tag unit and the steering cut is about the same, maybe a degree or two sharper on the Magna according to the specs. The real difference is the tail swing since the length behind the drive axle is longer on the Magna. At slow speeds I can turn full lock with the towed still attached with no troubles.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #21

X2 on Safari Treks. We are on our second one.

And, just to offer some size information from a full-timing couple (Paul & Nina of Wheeling It – Living the Fulltime RV Dream with 12 Paws, 40 Feet and the Open Road)

1/ Bigger is Not Always Better
I always imagined that you should try to buy the biggest RV you could afford. After all, who doesn’t want lots of space? Our travels over the past years, and perhaps more specifically the kind of travel we like to do (camping in public campgrounds, forests, state parks, off-the-beaten-track spots) has taught me that bigger is not always better. Our “beastly” size is super-comfortable but requires me to do quite a bit of detailed planning to make sure we can fit into the kinds of spots we like to visit. In retrospect, I would have wished for a smaller RV. For those camping mostly in private parks this is not a consideration, but for our kinda camping it sure would be nice with a few less feet.
2015 Update – TOTALLY still agree with this. Although we’ve gotten used to our “beastly” size I still wish we were a tad smaller and we (still) dream about downsizing. 95% of our camping is on public land and if we were smaller and more nimble we’d have many more options open to us, especially for boondocking. 35-feet would be nice, 30-feet would be even sweeter, but hey we make do. Maybe one day….

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekegb View Post
Previous poster said, "I've never heard anyone say, "I wish I had bought a smaller one".

Not everyone wants a 40 or 45 foot motorhome. We like camping in state parks, USFS CGs, COE and similar parks. We like the freedom of a shorter coach. We chose a Monaco Safari Trek and have no regrets. We have the living space of a 38 ft coach because we don't have a bedroom. If you live with the drop down bed, you will love a Trek.

We also like the quality construction and premium amenities of our Trek. Today, it seems if you prefer less than 36 ft, you get pressboard, poor workmanship, and just plain cheap materials and construction. An article in MotorHome magazine raised the question "Do motorhome buyers want amenities or quality?" The overwhelming response, motorhome buyers want quality.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping