Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
40' vs 45' Camping limitations

I am thinking of moving to a 45' tag axle from a 40' Single axle. With a 40' there are limitations as to where we can stay, and we accept that but how much more limited will we be with a 45'? We stay for an extended period in the Winter in places where it isn't a problem but the rest of the year we are in the Northwest (mainly) and we do plan a trip around the country in a few years. Input from 45' owners or those who have gone from 40-45' is especially solicited but all input is welcome!
Thanks, this forum has been so helpful!
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #2

Go for it, bigger is better until you try to get into California state parks. But as far as to comfort and lots of room, there is nothing like a 45' coach.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I made the same switch and I had the same concerns. I have not found it to be much of a problem. Most parks that can take a 40 can take a 45. Some of the national park sites are an exception, but it is well worth the rare inconvenience to have all this extra space and the improved ride and handling. Love my 45 (actually 44'11") and I would not go back to anything smaller.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We went from a 40' to 45' coach...no difference yet.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
California SP size limits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Go for it, bigger is better until you try to get into California state parks. But as far as to comfort and lots of room, there is nothing like a 45' coach.
So there are size limits at California State Parks? All of them...?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're at 43' and find that when we can't enter a particular campground its because we're about 10' over the practical limit. With our rear overhang we can often fit into spaces designated as 35 - 38' if the road access (overhead and turns) are doable. And at all the sites we've used a 45' could fit. A few things that help:
- Good spotter who knows where the 'turning point' is on the coach
- 60 degree wheel cut
- Taking our time
- Making a few wiggles
Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've found that any spot we fit into with our 41' DSDP we can get into with our 45' Magna, much to the surprise of one of the staff members at our favorite park.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I haven't had any problems and at 43' almost every park fits me. I think a MH is like a TV. I've never heard anyone say, "I wish I had bought a smaller one". Besides you'll love the Tag axle.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #9

We went from a 40' to a 43 with a tag. We also started pulling a 26' trailer. We call ahead and have always had a place to stay. Sometimes they give me a back to back site for a long pull thru and charge for one site. I have also found that more RV parks are becoming Big Rig friendly. More 70' and longer sites. Buy what ever you like, but don't let the length scare you.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
Yes. With maybe a few exceptions, 99% of all California State parks have a 36 foot length limit due to the fact that all these campgrounds are old and tight. We live in California and honestly don't like the state parks and would rather stay in a nearby private campground with better amenities anyways and use the toad for touring the sights in the state parks.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post

Yes I found out the hard way when I was up in northern California driving north on I-101. We were approaching Klamath, Ca just past the giant redwoods and it was getting late. So we decided we would try a state park. At the entrance there was a ranger station and I asked if he had a sight to accommodate a 38' diesel pusher with a tow vehicle. He looked at it and said, WELL! I have a pull through that might handle that length. So we drove in and right away I knew it was a big mistake. My wife was walking in front of the coach guiding me through some big trees missing them by two or three inches. RVers that were already in with smaller overhead campers were wondering how I ever got my coach in as far. I continued going around and left. But it was a terrible experience. I have not stayed in a state camping area since then. Those camping spots were when RVing was mostly done with overhead campers and small class C motor homes.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I find that length can be an issue when making reservations - but that in real life ... not so much. Most of the reservations systems force you to declare a length (and I hate to lie about stuff like that) ... and then tell you that there's no sites available that will accommodate your size. Then ... you swing past the park ... and discover that there are pull thrus that will accommodate rigs that are twice your size.

Larger coaches can and do face challenges in many parks ... but the year we've been using ours (Endeavor 43DFT ... 44' 3" tip to tail) - it hasn't been a significant issue. I've been happy to deal with the minor inconvenience is has been in order to have that extra carrying capacity the tag axle added - and the extra space.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #13

A toad comes in handy for checking out some of those tight campground loops in CA state parks, MacKerricher (just north of Ft Bragg, CA) is a good example. It has some of the most accessible and beautiful coastline on the entire West Coast but a owner needs to access what their coach (and the driver) can reasonably do, even if the attendant says "sure, you can make it".
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ray and Pops thanks for the CA info. We are hoping to get out way sometime and it's good to have some inside knowledge. So to the OP's question then...even though there are limits on State Parks there are enough private CGs to allow use of a 45?

Tags
camping