Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
As JFNM has clarified, the situation the OP is posing is apparently being misinterpreted by some.

The OP has stated in the opening post and one that followed that the comparison is this:

1. a 10-year old 2005 Newmar gasser (Mountain Aire? this is an assumption) priced at around $50,000

VS

2. a 15-year old 2000 Foretravel DP (U320?
this is an assumption) priced at around $80,000

He's not asking strictly for a general opinions on the gas vs diesel comparison but a comparison between two "generally specific" coaches.

For me, I'd definitely be looking at the 15-year old Foretravel even if it is $30,000 more and five years older. If the Foretravel was well maintained, I believe that one would get more years of use compared with a newer gas coach. And as others have mentioned, if fulltiming and/or continually moving around the country, I'd definitely choose the older Foretravel over a Newmar gas model ...again, for the reasons JFNM gave. If just for occasional use, yes, I then may consider the Newmar. JMO.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 AM   #30

The more important part of his scenario, ignored by most, is that if he buys this $80,000 15 yr old rig, to travel the country, he's left with only $30,000 in the bank as his sole reserves for the rest of his life, besides a monthly SS check that doesn't cover all his expenses.
fast forward, in 3 yrs he can't afford anymore fuel or repairs, he's flat broke, living in the RV, forever parked in a dump. better enjoy those 3 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
As JFNM has clarified, the situation the OP is posing is apparently being misinterpreted by some.

The OP has stated in the opening post and one that followed that the comparison is this:

1. a 10-year old 2005 Newmar gasser (Mountain Aire? this is an assumption) priced at around $50,000

VS

He's not asking strictly for a general opinions on the gas vs diesel comparison but a comparison between two "generally specific" coaches.

For me, I'd definitely be looking at the 15-year old Foretravel even if it is $30,000 more and five years older. If the Foretravel was well maintained, I believe that one would get more years of use compared with a newer gas coach. And as others have mentioned, if fulltiming and/or continually moving around the country, I'd definitely choose the older Foretravel over a Newmar gas model ...again, for the reasons JFNM gave. If just for occasional use, yes, I then may consider the Newmar. JMO.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post

VS

Nice explanation. Exactly what I meant. Now keep in mind what my main question originally was, which I don't believe anyone addressed yet:

"If today, one goes with the older high end coach, is he getting a $30,000 better coach based on today's value, or is he getting a $300,000 better coach, per original costs? How do you personally feel about it? "
Old 05-28-2015, 06:15 AM   #32

We chose a older DP in your gas price range. We only use it for maybe one two week trip and three long five day weekends a year. The ride and handeling are worth the extra cost to me. There is a fella near me selling his 2000 FT. I'll see if I can find it. Got it

http://www.foreforums.com/index.php?topic=22755.0
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #33

How I feel about is is that I would consider the floor plan and chassis that suits MY use. Buying a "bargain", that isn't really what I want, could be the wrong answer.

If you want a DP, then go for it. If your lifestyle and use is more suitable for a 35" gasser, then why put up with something like an older DP that you didn't originally want?. In the end, do what you want, not what others try to convince you to do (that means proponents of diesel and gas models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
Nice explanation. Exactly what I meant. Now keep in mind what my main question originally was, which I don't believe anyone addressed yet:

"If today, one goes with the older high end coach, is he getting a $30,000 better coach based on today's value, or is he getting a $300,000 better coach, per original costs? How do you personally feel about it? "
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
I'm kind of a realist so I would think the former. Purely my opinion....
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
I think you are getting a better coach in the DP, more than $30K but not $300K. Maybe somewhere in the $60-$80K more. But this is all realative, because a comparable same year coach gasser to dp is probably $70-$100K more. Supply and demand make this comparison very hard. You asked a tough question, that I feel only you can tell if it is worth the money to you.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Simply put: the answer is both. The DP is a better coach on all counts when you take finances out of the question. It has more amenities that the gasser will never have. Sure, the more systems it has, the more upkeep will be required but that gets back into the money question. And, frankly, I'm not convinced maintenance on a DP is that much more than a gasser (as some have said). There are things that a gasser needs in work that a DP doesn't because of being beat to death with stiff suspensions, among other things.

Yep... my opinion as a DP owner.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That is exactly my concern, the savings issue. Otherwise, I personally would only go diesel, but you can't ignore your personal financial situation no matter who you are.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I think you are getting a better coach in the DP, more than $30K but not $300K. Maybe somewhere in the $60-$80K more. But this is all realative, because a comparable same year coach gasser to dp is probably $70-$100K more. Supply and demand make this comparison very hard. You asked a tough question, that I feel only you can tell if it is worth the money to you.
#1 -- I TOTALLY AGREE with "that I feel only you can tell if it is worth the money to you." The value is only in the eye of the beholder and is based on so many variables (maintence for one). But they will never be worth their original price because they are used.

IMO you need to decide want your "Must Haves" are and find a MH that fits that and not just buy a "bargain". Particularly if a floor plan doesn't work, you will most likely sell it.

#2 -- IMO I believe the real question is should you spend the extra $30k to get the DP which cuts your savings in half. My answer is NO because you may need that money in the future. IMO if you want a DP go find a different one that you can afford without cutting your savings down by half.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Hi Bob;
You are paying 30,000 more for a coach that originally retailed at 270,000 more.

All things being fair you are paying real money for 270,000 worth of goods that have to be discounted. The fridge, extra air conditioner, engine, better construction materials, etc are all subject to wear.

The fridge, A/C, engine will all have worn, the solid wood in the construction will be worth more than the likely composite material in the lower priced coach.

I would guess that the extra intrinsic value will be between the 30,000 and 270,000. Probably shading to the lower side.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Having owned both a decent gas coach and two DP's (one entry level and one more of a luxury coach) I would say it depends on what your needs/wants are.

The DP will certainly cost more to maintain overall than the gas coach. They are more complex and more expensive to service generally, especially if you pay someone else to do your maintenance. However, the DP will have more cargo carrying capacity (usually), air suspension for a better ride and handling (especially if tag axle), and will be more quiet (engine in rear and not under your feet). If you plan to put a lot of miles on the coach and a lot of mountain driving, the DP will perform better than most gas coaches.

If you will do shorter trips and spend more time sitting than driving, gas may be a better choice. A high end gas coach may have similar amenities as at least a mid level DP.

I would suggest that you drive both and consider your intended use. Either will take you to wonderful places.

Nailed it.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just some input

Okay, early disclosure - we have a very nice 2015 38' gasser. We did our homework very similar to the issues outlined so very well in earlier posts. Decided on the features we wanted and initially bought a nice (not great) 36' gasser. A preoccupied driver side swiped our RV and we took the opportunity to improve on our lot in life and got a great 38' gasser.

We did our shakeout road trip and found the usually ankle biters - nothing really major. Went back to the dealer for repairs. When I pulled in to the service lot, a 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder was parked next to my coach. The service manager went out to write up the issue and I mentioned how nice the Beaver coach looks. He said yep but there was a some serious issues with the unit. Just briefly the issues sound significant and would be several $1000s to fix (control units for suspensions, batteries were cooked, etc).

Okay so here is my take - not much to do with diesel vs gasser argument - more about the maintenance discussion. I can honestly say anyone that has ever bought a used motorized vehicle that I owned can see the history from meticulous maintenance records.

IMO if your are buying any RV warranty or no warranty - do so with your eyes wide open after you've done your homework. Motorized vehicles wear out - DP or gasser. Typically the older, the more maintenance is required and thus more $s you'd better have in reserve to repair.

We are quite happy with our gasser - it is well appointed. It is not the air ride or the rear power plant of the DP but it does have a 3 year/40000 mile warranty that a lot of Ford dealers can service.

So whatever your decision - know why you are making it both for now and in the foreseeable future.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #42

I tend to think all things are relative, meaning the more a coach cost, the more it cost to repair it. Especially if you are not good at your own repairs. Maybe you are, however upper end coaches tend to have upper end equipment that wears out just like lower end equipment. Parts can be more leaving your bank acct drained. I like middle of the road well built coaches that have been treated well. Not hard to find and when you do fine one, chances are what needed replacing has already been replaced. We all know parts on diesels are higher cost than gas coaches.

DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a